Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica for 2 years, need advice from the group

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I don't understand why I have not recovered from this yet.
  • I eat a strict and very healthy diet
  • I work out and stretch 3 days a week
  • I am perfect BMI weight, on the lower end of the scale
  • I had a football type injury, very dumb in retrospect, bounced niece on my back for about 2 minutes. The next day I was in the worst pain of my life. Burning down to the toes.Month later I went to a sports medicine doctor, got anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer. Then shot in the back, pain free for 2 months. Pain came back, physical therapy. Did stretches religiously. (My hamstrings on the affected side are still very tight after two years, even with regular stretching.) Earlier the this went to a chiropractor, that did nothing. Kept exercising the last 2 years to strengthen my core, got ripped – lost 35 pounds. All this – and still the Sciatica remains. It is baffling, I am peak physical health with the exception of this problem.I went back to the sports medicine doctor last week, more anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer. Next is a shot again. I'm in the same place I was 2 years ago. What should I do next?P.S. I am 38 years old.

• Have you had an MRI or CT scan? I would definitely push for those. I've had severe sciatica as a result of an injury and had a fusion, laminectomy, several eipdurals and am now looking at a neurostimulator. It is a hideous pain. I am also very healthy and fit. I don't think it makes a difference. I am sure it is better than carrying extra weight but pain is pain. Good luck.
  • Hi, my name is stanley curently living in papau new guinea.
    I had a sciatica problem for 2 years, for 2 years I was living with so much pain.
    But fortunately I met doctor from china who work in papua new guinea.
    He use a device with electric shock to the nerve for 15 minute and some cups suction and some bend and twist on my leg.
    I can't believe myself that this guy fix my sciatica just in 30 minute and charge me only 150 kina (us$ 50)
  • Hi,
    Wow, you are lucky. I live in Australia and suffer from sciatica. Going mad. Do you know what kind of electric shock was it? I was using nerve stimulator but somehow it got worse because I have a feeling like the nerve is already irritated and al. stimulator irritates it even more so I stopped using it.
    I am doing some exercises, sunbathing (it helps a bit), vitamins, glucosamine, B vitamin which should help nerves, hot and cold packs, but it's been like this since March, now it is November. I am also taking Ibubrufen, but not often, osteopanadol and valium. I am trying not to start with Lyrica but sometimes I don't know.....
  • I believe that Stanley is refering to Accupunture. The things that that he talked about with the cups is called (Cupping).

Accupunture is good. If you haven't tried it yet at this point, its probably worth a shot.

Hope this helps