Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weight Lifting Restrictions after Complete Solid Fusion?

BackToWorkBBackToWork Owego, NY (Upstate NY, Tioga Cty)Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Greetings Spineys,

I'm curious to know what weight / lifting restrictions I'll have in the end, when my fusion is completely accomplished.
I had a double TLIF in my lumbars S1-L5-L4. I'm doing very good post surgery and expect to heal up quite nicely. Is there a standard maximum limit for such an operation, regardless whether or not it's an awesome job.

Thanks,

John
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, I also lift when I can and hate it when I'm unable to, which is often these days.
    Your question is hard to answer because at last check it is debated among medical professionals about whether or not someone with back problems should lift weights.
    Of course ask your doctor for an opinion.
    I'll tell you how I approach it. I avoid exercises that compress the spine. I avoid miltary presses (seated and standing). I do hip belt squats and not regular squats. No Deadlifts. No bent over rows. No seated rows. That's about it I guess.
    I'm sure there are PT's or MD's who would disagree with me but I can work around the limitations and I like playing it safe for now at least.
    Good Luck

• Also,I don't do heavy shrugs
  • BackToWorkBBackToWork Owego, NY (Upstate NY, Tioga Cty)Posts: 29
    Thanks Ozone,

You sound in great shape. About how much weight do you work with...

I used to work with auto parts... wondering if I'll ever be able to bend over and pick up a car battery, about 15 to 35 lbs., or something heavy like that, even if I am fully fused and well healed.
  • leave the weight alone my friend take up some other sport
    STRAKER
  • What is a general weight limit after a fusion? I would like to hear everyones perspective.

Thanks,

Lisa
  • BackToWork said:
    Thanks Ozone,

You sound in great shape. About how much weight do you work with...

I used to work with auto parts... wondering if I'll ever be able to bend over and pick up a car battery, about 15 to 35 lbs., or something heavy like that, even if I am fully fused and well healed.
    I do slow reps, 10 reps takes me 1 minute because it's easier to control the weights, less chance of injury so I use lighter weights.

I don't know if anyone should deadlift 35 lbs anymore LOL. I really don't want to.

• sleeprgirl said:
    What is a general weight limit after a fusion? I would like to hear everyones perspective.

Thanks,

Lisa
    for me, I won't pick up anything heavier than the food I put in my mouth. :)
    Seriously, I have no idea.
  • BackToWorkBBackToWork Owego, NY (Upstate NY, Tioga Cty)Posts: 29
    Hi Lisa,

Initially, when leaving the hospital I was told no BLT... bending, lifting, or twisting. No lifting more than a gallon of milk, or about 8 lbs.

I'm going on 3 months out of surgery (2 TLIFS S1-L5-L4 and related, associated repairs...) and still adhere to that.

I'm wondering about down the line, and what that grafting stuff, rods, and screws will really hold up to... lifting, carrying, etc...

John
  • I have not had my fusion yet, but worry about weight restrictions way done the line in recovery as I work in a nursing home...with lots of lifting, not to mention bending and twisting.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement