Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic SCS trial scheduled for 10/19

itsjackieohiitsjackieoh Posts: 111
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi all,
I wanted to be sure to start this thread to get support before, during and after my procedure.
I will keep my progress updated here as I go along. My Pain Management Physician and I have decided to address the most severe of the 2 areas of my back that have damage first and go from there.
Tuesday, the trial will address the disc pain at T 6-7 that radiates around to the from of my body from the impinged nerves.
All of us who have this know that it is just hideous pain. Well, not much of what any of us go through isn't but this just takes my breath away...I fell ike I have broken ribs.
Take good care everyone!

• Good luck with your trial. I hope you find that you are able to get some good relief.

• Jackie,

Please keep us posted I am very interested in your case.

Good luck,

• Hi Jackie..Im undergoing one at the very moment along with a lumbar one..

Read my Post titled "Tomorrow is my 2 SCS trial date" and this might be helpful or otherwise send me a PM with any questions you may have.
  • part of my process "pre procedure". My head is not in a good place. I hope that this is temporary, it usually is, and seems to be healthy in a way.
    Sometimes when I am having a very emotional time, I think of my kids as infants, and how they cried and then were relaxed.

So we are in full swing preparation. Lot's of laundry and shopping and asking friends to have sleepovers for a few days.
    Thank you very much for your responses.

I will most definitely be posting frequently throughout this process.

Jackie aka, the kleenex queen
  • I have 2 amazing adult children who have been helping me get the house ready for me needing to take it easy for a few days.
    I am just about to take my last of 2 showers with Hibicleans, then place bit of the Lidoderm patches on the injection site. My easy to pull on clothing is stacked up in the closet and I even have folks lined up to walk my dog!
    I am excited at this point. I am happy to know that I thought this through. With the exception of a proposed anterior/posterior revision to the failed PLIF L 4-5, I had been a "yes" person from the moment I was injured in 2007.
    As one of the folks who posts frequently in this topic mentioned in someone else's thread, even if this doesn't work, at least I will have tried it, and won't wonder, "what if" any longer.
  • I arrived at my Pain Doctor's office ready to go for the trial.

The moment I was settled in face down on the table I knew that my body would not tolerate being in that position for at least an hour without sedation/medication.

I experienced high pain levels during the 2 caudal ESI's that I had under sedation. I am in no shape to do an in office trial. Here's to knowing my body :B
  • I know it can be tough to wait things like this out, then have to wait again.

I hope they can get you in soon.
  • I am sorry to hear that you were unable to have the trial yesterday.

I can absolutely relate in being unable to remain positioned on your stomach for an hour or more, without necessary sedation and pain medication to keep you comfortable. When I get my nerve blocks and injections in my lumbar, SI joints and coccyx areas... I need adequate sedation and pain medication to get me through the 1/2 hour procedure. This is due to the pain I get in my thoracic area when laying on my stomach.

A hospital setting will be good for you, when you have this procedure done. Should you need extra pain relief, your IV is in place and I am quite sure your doctor will get you as comfortable as possible.

There are several Spine-health members following your thoracic SCS trial and I hope you find extra relief during the trial.

Please keep us posted with when you have your next appointment set up.

Wishing you less pain,

• Hopefully your pm can get you in a comfortable position and figure out a way to get this done, hopefuly you will get good news about the 2 trial very soon. stay intouch best of wishs Rosemary
  • We did not have to wait long for this to be re scheduled. This is a tremendous relief.

It is truly a gift to be able to have access to this community here at Spine-health!

During this time, I have read many threads in this topic as well as in the Thoracic Pain topic. Doing this has helped me to feel more empowered, and less fragile.

I am so curious how this trial will go.

Take care everyone

• Sorry it didn't work out for you >:D<

Next week isn't too far off.

Try to feel better,

• For your trial and glad you didnt have to wait too long for it to be rescheduled.

• I am glad that you don't have to wait too long to try again. Thoracic pain is so hard and I really hope that you will get some relief.

• Wow! It is really special to read all of the encouraging words while I await my trial. Watching the MLB Playoffs has been a great distraction from pain. Yay the Giants just this second won!
    Take good care!
  • Hi Jackie, I pray everything goes as planned ans you get that scs in place. MY thoughts and prayers are with you. Rosemary keep us posted

• Hope everything goes to plan, and that they will be able to get the relief that you need. :-)

We'll be waiting to hear how you are. :H
  • that you made it through and it is working for you, got my fingers crossed and prayers sent. we will all be looking for your up dated post. ;) Rosemary
  • I am laying down for a much needed nap but wanted to check in first.

I have only 2 programs for now, and will get more programs tomorrow am. I am so tired but also really pleased that I get to see if this will be a viable option for me.

Thank you all so much for your support. I may not be able to post much more until I recover from the procedure.

I can tell I will be sore, but it is so worth it. At this point I am able to feel a small amount of stim over the soreness without major leg stimulation, but I am in this for the long haul so we'll see.

Thanks again....

• =D> Thank God I truly hope you this is it. How long will this trial last 3 days 7 days, regardless, its in. And now we just have to wait, for the permant ones in and we will be on our way to a New and more fullfilling life. I was sore also for the first 2 days especialy when setting back or laying down on the incession areas and the square thing its plugged into. GEt some rest and talk to us when you feell up to it. YOU GO GIRL >:D< <:P Rosemary
  • I am using the 2 programs that I have right now while my body is in different positions. So far what I am noticing is that I get the best actual back pain relief while sitting with pillows behind me, or sitting back, not just sitting.
    In all other positions, I turn up the amplitude in program "1" and don't feel thoracic stim, but do feel pain when I turn the unit off. This tells me I am getting pain relief.
    I am guessing this is related to being sore from having the leads placed.
    In program "2" I notice very clear coverage in both my Lumbar and in my thighs and legs.
    I am hoping that the increase in spinal fluid from inserting the leads is reduced enough so that Tood, my Medtronic Rep, can add a bunch more programs for me to try out later this morning.
    If not, I will ask for more programs tomorrow.
    Our idea going into this is that it would be a 3-4 day trial, so that scar tissue would not build up enough to affect permanent lead implant if I do that.
    My doctor has already said that if I go with a permanent SCS, he would have a surgeon do the paddle leads. Due to that decision, I will ask to keep this trial going for about a week.
    Hope everyone is well....thanks so much, as always for your interest in my stim trial and the amazing support! It is very helpful and comforting....

• I know very little about SCSs, but it sounds to me like your trial is going well.
    I really hope that they will be able to add more programs and that each one will give you pain relief.

Take it easy and allow your body to settle down ready for the next onslaught! >:D<
  • We went to get 2 more settings and my Pain Doctor said he would like to remove leads tomorrow at noon. I am going to do the best that I am able to achieve some relief through the really bad soreness.
  • Jackie,

So after all this. Do you feel that you will get the permanent SCS? I hope the trial is deemed a success! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Im so pleased for you Jackie that it seems to have worked for you.

I hope they are able to do it permanently for you soon.x
  • yipes...cannot feel the stim at all...
    Oh how I want to say YES to this!
    This spiney needs to rest well, so that I can experiment more in the morning. Maybe I can ask for one more day. My doctor said the longer we leave this in the more chance for infection.

• your plugged in, made sure youheld the 2 devices togather when upping the amps. MY med rep told me I could call 24/7 they should have a phone # you acn call in you booklet, if its medtronic you can go th their web site if you dont have the phone #. Call NOW dont wait, im sure its and easy fix, thats what the reps are ther for. If its med tronic I can give you my reps # or their hotline. Rose
  • I am not able to sync the unit...wow Rosemary you were right. Just after I posted I realized the unit was off...
  • Didn't realize that you were in the middle of a trial. Couple things that might help. The reason why the stim is stonger when you sit is because your spinal cord is closer to the leads. If you want to see if you can get stim while standing or laying down, assume the position then adjust the amplitude. Be very careful not to change positions quickly if you do cause your probably very positional. If the stim does over power you, try to relax and make the necessary adjustments. Its best to return to the comfortable position then make the adjustment.

Good luck with the trial.

• The rep gave me a group with all 4 of the programs in it. This is a great option. I can set each program within the group then turn the group on.

Since these leads are coming out at noon today, I am experimenting with every position and doing tasks that cause pain.

Thanks for the very helpful input and support!

Jackie "O" (named after the one and only)

• to discuss placement for the thoracic leads. My pain doctor thinks that the paddle leads are necessary for the thoracic implant.

I am so glad I had the trial done, even though it is not a straight forward yes or no as far as permanent implant(s) yet.

As far as this thread goes, It makes sense to me to start a new one as I continue with on with this process. It will be a while before I know more about permanent implants.