Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Freaking out

dryflydryfly Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Depression and Coping
So I have this SCS trial implant, I'm 3 days into it so far. For the past two nights I have nearly been having panic attacks just thinking about my "pain." My mind is racing thinking about everything from the IV stick's to the injury that caused all this (fall hiking on Mt. Hood years ago) to the recovery pain from surgery (lumbar fusion in '08.) All I can think about is the pain and it's really stressing me out. I can't decide what to do about this SCS implant.....I have been talking with folks in the SCS forum for specifics. I think what's upsetting me so much is that I don't want to do anything else that's going to cause more pain and I know recovering from the permanent implant is going to be painful. I've been dealing with back pain for years, but I don't think I have ever worried about it this much. How do I get some clarity here and calm down??

• You have to let go. In order to get some relief from pain, you have to be willing to accept the pain of any procedure that is done to try and stop it. Everyone who has gone through the permanent implant of an SCS, has a different experience. Some have a rough time with the pain, whereas some (like myself) dealt with the post op pain with nothing more than Tylenol and Celebrex.

One thing about an SCS trial and early on after a permanent implant, is that it seems our senses become super sensitive and alert. We are so tuned in to the feeling from the stimulator, that we tend to focus too much on it. I found I had to just let go and go with the flow.

Do you have anyone that you can talk to? Remember that you have the ultimate decision and if you feel that this is all too much for you, contact your doc and let him know.

I hope that you are able to relax enough to get a good sense of things from your trial. We will be here day and night, so drop in if you need to.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    If your having success with the trial. Then concentrate on the pain relief you could have from the permanent implant.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Dryfly,
    You are doing the most important thing and addressing your issues head on, that takes courage, time and experience, do not be hard on yourself, this is the first time you have been where you are now and give yourself time to learn.

You already see the bigger picture that the pain from the trial will have a time limit and things will improve, that is hard to see when the pain is constant and the strategy is not to look too far into the future, we all dream of the future and it is natural to be tentative about what the future will hold and take a smaller steps, what might happen does not make them your reality, we all work hard at not thinking ahead of ourselves, try to design short term goals that are attainable and give you some confidence that you are in control, however limited that may be at the moment.

What things do you like doing, what makes you happy, beating yourself up from something that was an accident and not your fault does not help, be kind to yourself, we all have circumstance that proceeded our own plight, you need to be looking forward to the future, your future.

We do understand and are all here to help you, I am still the same person inside even though I have physical limitations, it does not define who I am and is only part of me. You have done well in seeing a need for some improvement, we all wish we could do that and you need to tell us how to do that.

Getting those inner feelings out is a fantastic start and shows real courage in seeking improvement, what are you going to do now and how will you develop those skills we all need.

Take care, we have all been where you are now.

• John, feeling isolated is one thing that hurts me the most. No one can ever really understand what its like to be in your position. I have been to a few AA meetings and found out that many have the same feelings. I have been looking into hypnosis and meditation to slow down my racing thoughts and it works. I was in the milatary, and they utilized a four point system to focus your energy. Positive self talk, slow breathing, visualizing a positive outcome and development of a mental plan. I know about racing thoughts, besides four back operation, I am in recovery for addiction. I have two big problems. I know it not easy, but your not alone.
  • Thanks guys for all the kind words. I'm actually doing a little better now, it was just really frustrating realizing that the SCS was not working for me.
  • I'm too chicken to even try the SCS. They wanted to do one but so far most things that have been done haven't worked and I am too scared to try an implant. I really hope it works for you.