Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No relief with Vicodin

dryflydryfly Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Pain Medications
What was the next RX your MD gave you after Vicodin was ineffective? I've taken all the different strengths since my fusion in '08 and it's never given me complete relief.....maybe 50-60%.

• Worked better for me after Vicodin. But then that stopped working and extended release was prescribed and that works great. So now I am on 10mg every 12 hours of Oxycontin.

Feel better.

• I found that percocets work a bit better for my pain than the vicodins. Not sure how much stronger they are. After a while your body builds a tolerance to your regular dosage. Maybe call your Dr. and see if he/she will prescribe something different.
  • Dry what is the source of your pain? Is it nerve, muscular or undetermined? I'm just wondering how much your doctor has investigated the source or if you have tried some diff types of meds to find a better remedy.
  • Hi dryfly,

I'm recovering from lumbar fusion and was on oxycodone, then Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for severe nerve pain. I was eventually put on Lyrica for the nerve pain and was switched to hydrocodone (Vicodin) for breakthrough pain. After being on the heavier drugs I can't even tell when I've taken the Vicodin but I have to assume it is helping some. What I'm depending mostly on now is the Lyrica and am increasing the dosage as needed. It really does wonders for nerve pain, if you can tolerate the side effects which do ease up after the first few days.

Not sure why you would have been given Vicodin to control post-fusion pain but if your pain is nerve-related, I can highly recommend one of the nerve medicines such as Lyrica or Neurontin.

Hope you find the relief you need. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • My current pain mngmt MD seem's to think my pain is from multiple sources, I'm going through a trial for the SCS right now and am finding it's just not for me. I am going to get a second opinion this week since I just had recent MRI's done to see if someone else can pinpoint the reason for my pain. On one hand I don't want to start getting myself on stronger pain killers, but I need something for the bad days.....
  • I would also agree that the next step up would probably be percocet...it is stronger than vidodin. The doc may want you on something long lasting though, like an 'extended release' medince...then just keep the vicodin for breakthru pain.

i hope you get it figured out with you doc so you can be more comfortable. Sorry you are feeling so much pain. God bless...

• I went from Vicodin to Norco with a long acting. Basically once your overall pain level is too high, it was explained to me, the long acting comes in to reduce your depenence on the short acting meds. Norco is a 10 mg Hydrocodone with less tylenol.

I'm still working on finding a good long acting- fentanyl patch, then to ms-contin, back to fentanyl patch.