Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to all of this...

JPJJP Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey everyone, I just recently had my first C-Spine MRI and it surprised the heck out of me. I'm just starting to learn about this stuff but I knew it was bad news when my MRI report came back with three pages.

It says I have moderate to severe disc desication at all cervical levels. C5-6 has a "very large osteophyte complex" that's compressing my spinal cord. The nerve root stuff is severe at that level also. It's moderate at most others.

My neurologist recommended surgery during my followup. I'm having some trouble walking and I have some muscle atrophy in my hands. I'm only 32 yrs old and this stuff seems pretty ominous. I had a very active lifestyle just a couple years ago and I was hoping to get back to that someday. Hopefully some of this can be reversed. I hope it hasn't taken too long for the doctors to figure this out... I've been going through almost every other test known to man for the last couple years. I'm hoping to move forward again from here.

• Welcome to Spine Health. Glad that the docs are on top of things for you now and that you can explore different things to see about getting your c-spine under control. Was there anything specific you did that the doc thinks may have started all of this? Just remember that we are all capable of some pretty amazing things and when we hurt or are frightened it is real easy to give up. I found for me I have to keep on pressing ahead with life. I'm much happier that way. If I'm going to be miserable, I may as well be doing things I love to do (as long as they don't place me at great risk of course}.

Hope you find Spine Health to be an excellent source of support and information!

• Hey C, thanks for the perspective. My doc wasn't sure about the cause. He just said I might have an arthritic condition. It all started with some progressive weakness in my legs and then about a year ago it hit me really hard... fatigue and short of breath and all that stuff. The doc said with my cord compression it could be affecting anything from my neck down.
  • Hello JP, and a hearty Welcome to Spine Health!! Sorry to hear your going through the bumpy spiney road. You've found the right road though for support and understanding.

It is good to see your doctors are on top of all of this. Hopefully soon they will have a plan in play that you are comfortable with. Having issues in your legs from the C-spine isn't too good at all. I hope you have answers completed and relief soon. Support *HUG* Again, Welcome!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hey guys, I had my appt with the surgeon and he's recommending that remove the disc that has the large bone spur pressing against my spinal cord.

I asked about the natural course if surgery isn't performed and he said the muscle weakness would most likely continue to progress and I'm at risk of spinal cord damage if I had a jolt to the neck. This backed up the comments from my neurologist about possibly wearing a neck brace until the surgery.

He said there's a 90-95% sucess rate with this type of procedure with 6 weeks of recovery time. I've been severly affected by this for almost 2 years now so 6 weeks almost sounds like nothing at this point.

So I guess this is it. I'm scheduled for surgery in a few weeks. I have a followup with him before the surgery in case any questions come up in the meantine.

Has anyone else had this procedure? I'm worried but at the same time I'm looking forward to the recovery process. God bless!
  • Howdy JP,

Glad to see a game plan is in the works! This link might help you understand more of what they are telling you to expect. I've gone through this twice, and probably will be having a revision + another level. Lots of things for me there. Here's the link...

The anticipation is usually worse than the actual surgery. If we can help with any questions, please fire away! Support *HUGZ* to ya!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • welcome to SH. its very natural/normal to feel worried, you will find some wonderfull support here on the forums.
    ask away with any questions / concerns you have, there are lots of great articles written by drs here also.
    good news your surgeon has a plan for you, i wish you the best for your upcoming surgery.

after your neurologist mentioning wearing a collar till your surgery, id ask your surgeon what his thoughts are on this.
    take care