Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chest pain

driftwoodddriftwood Posts: 81
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have recently been experiencing chest / peck.
Specifically, when I turn my neck (tilt slightly forward, right, or down) or move my upper body subtely to one side or the other I get a pain down the front of my rib cage on the right side where the ribs attatch to the sternum.

As well the same pain is triggered when I move my arms out then in.

I was thinkinng i might be costondritis, but that seems to be more to the left?

• Sorry Driftwood I have no answers. I have more questions though. When you say you have pain is it dull achey or sharp and electric? Is it constant or intermitten?

I am seeing 2 doctors and I am in PT and no one has offered the explanation of "costocondritis" have you had an MRI of the Thoracics spine or x-rays that would rule out any spinal problems?

I have similar pains (mine are pretty sharp) but only when I lift my arms to hold the steering wheel, hug a family member, lift a package etc. I explained mine as going from the "epi" center and wrapping around the both sides right under the "girls". It can be bad enough to drop me to my knees (is has done it a few times). Now I recognize when I am "there" and don't lift my arms. My upper back pain is unrelenting 24 hours a day. It gets worse after I do more physical activities. Sometimes I can put the dishes up in the cubboards and sometimes I can't.

If you haven't spoken to a MD about your problem you probably should.

Feel better,

• Yea Julie, it is similar to yours, just not as bad, thought last night it was pretty painful.

And yeah same if if I make a wind out and then close, it hurts. And same with basic movements.

What I read about it is that it is mostly on the left and mine is on the right....

I did have an xray recently and they did not see anything so that is good I think.
  • I was dagnosed with Costochondritis in August of this year, by a Cardiologist. My PM doctor and PCP wanted to rule out any heart problems, so I was sent to a Cardiologist for several tests and Xrays. (Pleased to share that my heart is in great condition).

What I experience during an "episode" is severe crushing pain throughout my sternum. One side is not more pronounced than the other. The pain will travel into my jaw and behind my ear.

Nothing to date, has triggered these episodes. They will occur out of the blue and they last approximately 3 minutes in duration. It feels exactly what others describe when they are having a heart attack.

Not sure if this will be of much help to you, but felt I should comment.

Wishing you less pain and please let us know if you are given a diagnosis.

Take good care,

• thanks Tammy:

That helps