Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain suffer with new pain symtom

Misty5002000MMisty5002000 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi I am new here but, am not new to back and leg pain. I am 37 years old and been having back/leg pain since 2005. I had a Discosectomy (did I spell that right?) in 2007 on 2 discs. That helped the muscle spasms that I was getting in my back and legs. I still have 3 pinched nerves from multiple bulging discs and degenerating disc disease in the lower back. I also have arthritic pain in my neck, my Neurosurgeon this is due to the fact that my lower back is so messed up. Moving around in the morning is hard but I have learned to push through it. As the day progresses I get sharp pains going down both legs front and back. Cold/Wet days are the most challenging days, the pain is so bad. I have tried physical therapy and cortisone shots to the spine, no of which worked. The Pain Clinic put me on Vicodine twice a day indefinitely. I have a heating pad at work and at work. I recommend a cheap $20 heating pad to anyone that has back problems. I work 8 hours a day in a company as graphic designer. I am the primary bread winner in my family - I need to be strong for them. I have been able to manage exist for a year like this, but it's not living. Pain is constant. But in the past month I am getting a new pain that I have never experienced in my legs and I don't know what to do. It feels like there are rubber bands wrapped around my pelvis area. My legs are pulsating and the pain gets worse as the day goes on. The more I move around, the weaker they feel, I also get pins and needles in my calf's and feet.. I haven't seen my Neurosurgeon on Pain Management in a year. My next appointment for the Neurosurgeon is Nov. 4th. Has anyone else have this type of pain? How can I make it stop? The Vicodine has done nothing for this.
So now I have three types of pain to deal with:arthritic pain (lower back,stiffness,sharp pinch,neck,relief with Vicodine),nerve (sharp and stabbing pain down both front and back legs, also goes to feet, some relief with heating pad and Vicodine), pulsating pain (gets worse with movement, legs feel week after brief walk, no relief).
Sorry this was so long.

• pain in your hips and legs, indeed, all the way to your feet, is a symptom of nerve compression in your spine. Do tell your neuro about it when you see him. It is probably an indication of more disc material compressing your nerves. I had a three-level 360 degree lumbar fusion (L3-S1) and I still have sciatica from time to time. You might ask your doc about getting an electronic muscle stimulator. I have one (brand name Empi) and it really helps to hook my butt and leg up to it from time to time -- helps to relieve the muscle spasms. I have oxycodone for pain as needed, but generally don't need to take it any more. Every once in a while, but certainly not every day or even every week. I do use the Empi a lot.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Welcome to Spine Health!! In addition to what Isteller said. Are you on any nerve medications? I didn't see any listed in your post. Once you find the one that works best for you, wow can it cut down a lot of pain going down the legs. Wishing you some relief. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you Isteller for your advise. I have never herd of electronic muscle stimulator so it is worth mentioning it to my neurologist when I see him. He told me that ideally a double artificial disc replacement would be the best treatment but, that was not legal in the United States as of yet. He doesn't want to do a fusion because of my age, and I don't want one either. (This was a year ago.) And now the pain is worse.
    I will let you know what he says.
    Thanks again.
  • The only med that I have been put on is the Vicodine 2x a day. I have been taking it for 4 years. My primary doctor treats me like a junkie every month when I have to get a refill. Both Pain Management and my neurologist knows that I am in enough pain to know that Motrin isn't going to cut it so, why can't my primary see it? People that don't deal with chronic pain have no idea what it's like.
    No other meds have been mentioned. What are the options so I can bring it to my Pain Management Dr.?
    Thank you for your help.
  • Howdy Misty,

I know that there are a bunch of different pain meds (do a search in the box above), but I am only familiar with Lyrica and Neurotrin. Neurotrin is the baby brother of Lyrica. They specifically target nerve pain issues. Where as Vicoden and Percocet etc., they are for mechanical pain. I'm sure others will pipe in some of the other nerve pain meds.

As for your PM, these aren't narcotics or opiates. I would figure if you ask him/her "Any chance much of this is nerve pain? Can we try something that addresses that side of my pain?" My NS nailed my main pain source pretty darn quickly. I skip a couple doses every few weeks (doc knows) to see how my pain levels are; better, worse, the same. I hope that helps. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i would not wish sciatica on my worst enemy and you must be made of strong stuff to carry on working .if you need more surgery make sure you have a top end surgeon .i am on my third operation and there is no way i could work anymore the pain from previous surgeries and all the arthritis is beyonce works .even after loads of narcotics i am still in agony .{most of this is down to poor surgery that's why i am advising a top recommended surgeon should you require more surgery } good luck
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find so many resources on this site, including "Medications 101 for Spine Patients" in the Pain Medication section. That list is really good for those that need clarification about what meds do what, including nerve meds.

It sounds like what Brenda suggested, that you're experiencing nerve pain and vicodin and muscle relaxers won't help that pain.

I salute you for working 8 hours a day with all the pain you're experiencing. It's unfortunate that it seems that your symptoms have progressed and I'm anxious to hear what your NS says. So please keep us posted, ok?

Take care and feel free to PM me if I can help you in any way.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
This discussion has been closed.