Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve pain in legs 4 weeks after surgery.

slb3sslb3 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone.

I had a L4/L5 micro decompression on 9/16. All was going well for the first 3.5 weeks. Just returned to work but after the 2nd day of work I think my desk job is too much for my back. All of my nerve pain in my legs has been coming back. The dr said i could return to easy biking too but i have been getting a bit of nerve pain from riding. Should I wait until all of the nerve pain resolves itself before returning to work. Was I too eager to get back to work? I thought a microdecomdression was not that big of a deal and id be back within a few weeks. :(

• I had decompressive lumbar foraminotomy Sept 24th.
    Never mind the fancy surgery term, but after 18 days I rode in the car, for 2+ hours and my legs and hips hurt so bad I could not get the pain to stop. Worse than any pain I had b/4, and in both legs, not just my bum leg. I'd go "real slow" back to work and add more time/effort only if you have a low/no pain day. Otherwise you might end up with chronic pain and no surgery to correct it.
    Pain feeds itself....
  • Yeah. I may have been over doing it. It's been hard not being able to do much. Just really wanting to get back to "normal" asap.
  • I can't relate to your specific surgery but I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op 2-level PLIF. I have a tendency to overdo things and it's a very hard habit to break. If I feel great, which I have on several recent days, I tend to jump right back into life. I think I've been paying for it with some pretty nasty sciatica at night. Even though your doctor gave you the okay to do some exercises, you need to tune in to your body and listen to what it's telling you. Take it easy and let your body heal and you'll do a whole lot better in the long run. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Decided to go out on medical leave. Talked with my family and a few friends and decided to take three weeks off from work. Work does not like it but I only have one back and this nerve pain when is sit is starting to scare me. Dr put me on some steroids to help with the nerve pain issues. Just plaining to take it easy. I guess I'll have to deal with work related problems when I get back.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The pain you are experiencing is very normal. Thus the longer you can remain out of work the better. Does your employer offer Short Term Disability?
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • a lot a work, you might try getting a BackJoy. It's not a cushion, it's an orthotic that supports your butt and your lower spine so you can sit more comfortably. I'm not connected to the product in any way, but I own two of them -- one in the car and one in my office chair -- and I'm considering a third one for my sewing room chair. I couldn't sit for very long without one. As for biking, unless you are riding over the smoothest surface on earth, any bumps you hit are going to jar your spine. I wouldn't do it.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.