Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Function form

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Any advice on filling these out? I'm kind of confused about them, as they seem to cover 3 years of time- am I supposed to just say how things are now?

We got one for me to fill out and one for my husband.

I guess they didn't deny me offhand, which is a good sign ;)

• Be very careful on how your husband fills out his...Don't let him say "she never did the dishes before so what's the difference now?" :))( =)) :))(
  • Don't worry, I think he's smarter than that/ It's more a matter of getting him to fill them out at all.
  • So you're telling us He *is* Smarter than a 5th Grader? Rofla! Sorry, couldn't resist. Kris is right though, your hubby's input needs to be clear. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I remember filling out a functional capacity form...it was pretty long if I remember correctly. I know they didn't make my hubby do one. I was just very honest about how my day went and about every detail of every question they asked. You have to show that you are not able to do anything that lasts more than 5 minutes at a time. If you you start to do a load of laundry, don't you begin to get in alot of pain from bending and loading? If you unload dishwasher, don't you have pain from bending over? If you do anything else, don't you have pain basically all the time which prohibits you from functioning like you used to? Can you vacuum holding a heavy vacuum cleaner? By the time I did my report, my hubby had basically taken over all the chores. I think I remember reporting I could only do one load of laundry per day, then i had to lay down, and couldn't do anything else. If I remember correcly it asked about activities of daily living such as bathing and toileting, etc. There are sometime my lower back is spasming so bad that I call hubby to my warm bath to shave my legs...I conveyed this as well.

Be very honest...but be as restrictive as you can while being honest.
  • the functional Impairment form that my doctor filled out is 90 % what won my case...so hopefully your form matches your doctors or is in close range.
  • I have no idea which doctor they sent it to!
  • Two other thoughts.

1-write down the answers on a seperate sheet of paper first. By the time you finish you may want to rephrase some of the earlier answers. Alot of times these questionaires have circular questions so you want to be careful about what you are saying.

2-make a copy before you send it in. I would imagine that you will get this or similar questionaires again. It would be a good idea to know what you wrote before. Also maybe give a copy to your doctor. Often they only have general info about us like "back hurts on activity" so giving them details will help.
  • absolutely brilliant ideas Kris!! And I would assume they will send it to the doc that you see the most now on a regular basis. Do you have an attorney? B/c my attorney ran it by me as to who to send it to and sent it to my favorite, most compassionate doctor who was supporting me 110%.
  • I don't have one, most attorneys around here do not take cases until they have been denied. Mine has not been denied yet, it is just going to the state board of whatever.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I was very honest in completing my forms. When people say "i can never" it can raise red flags unless it would be obvious. For example, I can never lift over 100 lbs. But as far as daily activities I said I can dust but I leave the mopping to my husband and we have a cleaning lady for the bathrooms (my hubby doesn't clean them to my satisfaction so we have a friend of his from work who wants a little extra cash come in and do floors and the bathroom). So I answered honestly and if I could so something they asked I would only say "Yes, but standing tolerance to do so is limited" etc. Hubby never got any kind of questionnaire.

In my case my attorney told me to fill it out and send it to them for review. Then if they were okay with it they'd send it on.

There are a few national attorneys that take cases before denial and that's what I have. They are helping me with initial application.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I got those forms also about 4 weeks ago.
    Called lawyer and they told me the same thing, fill them out and send to lawyer for a review first.
    Got 2 big envelopes from them 1 for work and 1 for home life.
    Lawyer told me to be honest, and keep answers short and to the point.
    So you do what you can, and wait for a decision.
  • that sounds like what happened with me. I had to return mine to my attorney to review before, then they sent them in. They didn't let me have any contact with SS at all. I also had an attorney for the initial level. It helped,.b/c I started online and then got overwhelmed...