Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about recovery from major 360 surgery

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
So how many months after your major 360 degree fusion did you feel like you might be able to take a 3 hour + trip in a car?

• My niece graduated from college about 2 months after my 360, it was a 4 hour trip. I leaned the seat back and stopped a couple of times. It wasn't too bad.

Wishing you the very best!
  • Thanks, Jayhawk! We have an annual vacation with family friends to a resort town a few hours away. I'm hoping to still be able to go if my surgery doesn't get put off too long! I managed to go 2 months after my accident, and just spent the whole time parked on the couch, so the drive is the main concern!

My family won't go and leave me behind, so it really would be sad if I couldn't go- it would kind of throw a wrench in the whole trip for everyone.
  • I took a 1.5 hour car ride, (each way) just shy of two weeks after a two-level TLIF. I had to physically go into the state disability office to ensure they received my paperwork. It wasn't too bad of a ride, but a solid 3-hour ride would make me want to get out and stand up at least once or twice along the way.
  • Getting out won't be a problem :) It's just weird not having any idea what the recovery is going to be like, it's like a blank spot in my future.

Especially since I don't even have a date yet, grrrr!
  • is about as bad as it gets to recover from {it all depends on just how bad your lower back is damaged .mine is forked up big time .but a friend of mine sent me a set of MRI photos and this persons disc looked like new compered to mine so its down to the individual.my surgeon has said FOR ME 36 months of recovery and then we are looking at just a reduction in pain {if we are lucky} i don't know if you have been told this ?? but i have been told by my consultant that my ability to move will be WORSE ! but the pain should be less ..its because he wants to fuse such a large area my mobility will be reduced .some people get away with a short recovery and hardly any post pain and hardly any disability .
  • Yeah, I am not sure how many levels they want to fuse yet, but I have been told that recovery is going to be a doozy.

For me, it is not the fusion that scares me, it is the vertebrectomy. They will be removing my entire L2 vertebrae.

If I don't get cancelled again, I will be getting details next week.