Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do ya like this one???

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been compiling all of my files trying to get on state medicaid. In doing so I had sequentially put together all of my MRI's and Cats scans going back over 5 years..... prior to my 2 level ACDF only to my 3 Level Anerior and Posterior with corpectomies at C5 an C6 and posterior rods.

Here's the kicker ... Through out both surgeries I have had problem at C3 (osteophytes and degeneration of the disc and spondolitias of the C3 vertabrae) ..... after 5 surgeris neither of my doctors (one fellowship trained neuro) and (one followship trained Osteo) did anything with my problems at C3 so guess what ... Now I have moderated stenosis at C3 piching my cord from both front and back at that level.

I am kinda surprised and befuddled ..... its off to a new Neurosurgen now to attempt to deal with the chronic pain and radiculapathy in my shoulder, neck, left arm and arm pit, hand and sometime both thumbs go out. Why didn't they do anything with the ostephytes C3??

Things that make ya go Hmmmmmmmm. Suggestion?

Confused and full already full of titanium!

Spine-health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Dave,

Are you talking C2/3 - C3 nerve root? I think you are as we have chatted about it before, but wanting to be sure. We are similar at that level. Odd thing? My first 2 MRI's directly said I had Stenosis at that level, yet the last two focused on the large osteophyte complex and bulging disk (9mm) at that level and for my NS to "Please correlate with neurological exam to evaluate for left C3 radicular symptoms." With the stenosis, that was in Dec 07, and according to that MRI, the disk was compressing the sac mildly. Yet in the last two years no reports that its hitting anymore, yet the symptoms continue to increase.

The scary part with yours though Dave is it is now front and back. Are they planning to do anything with yours? I just re-looked at the MRI pic you sent me, it is actually C3/4 - makes more sense for the thumb issues - my bad! I just hope they can help you out soon. Double bulge is scary!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Nothing surprises me anymore. I always feel like I'm walking a fine line. If we know too much we might appear to be seeking and might imagine symptoms. If we don't ask and search something may be missed.
  • Dave,

My suspicion is they didn't touch that level at the time as they didn't feel it was problematic for you and by placing the posterior rods was going to be limited motion in that area, and thus what you had wouldn't get any worse.

The only reason I offer that up is yes i have issues at the c2-c3 area and both surgeons thought by placing posterior rods on this surgery it would stop the progress. The surgeons I talked with where completely independent of each other. The second opinion I used didn't even know the surgeon I was using. So I can only assume both are right and have confidence that this will work. It bites though in your case where it didn't work.