Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr wants to do an add on fusion? HELP

melto9mmelto9 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone ever been able to have an artificail disk instead of an add on fusion? They say I am not a candidate, but my last fusion has never been right- I really don't want another- I am in great pain though and can't really lead a normal life so I have to do something.Is it possible to have the 1st hardware removed and start all over?

• Melto9,

I'm a little confused by your post. Are they wanting to go in and revise the level you have now? Or are you in need of an adjacent level?

I was told if you have fusions in your cervical spine, you are not a candidate for a disk replacement. I didn't ask why, but from what I researched (my interpretation here), the ADR allows in many cases to extend (flex)that level more than 'normal' human anatomy allows. With that, if there is a fusion in there, it could cause additional problems. If they tell you why ADR's aren't allowed with a fusion, please share. :)

If you look at my avatar, you will see two different types of hardware. My surgeon used that wing thing (and I wouldn't do it again if offered) so he wouldn't have to take the old hardware out. Originally he was going to take the plate and screws out, and put a new plate and screws on the new level. I feel this 'wing' has different loading on the bones than does the plate, and about month 5 or 6 post op, the C6 vertebra cracked! So new problems came from that.

Most cases (if adjacent) they take the old hardware out, put some cement like stuff in the holes from the old screws. Then proceed to do the ACDF on the new level - then new plate and screws. I hope that helps. If you do a 'search' on here for "revision surgery" or "fusion", you might get more detailed answers. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.