Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Have Degenerative Spinal Stenosis, has become worse and now in my lower back also

JTEX53JJTEX53 Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I'm a 57 year old male. I have been a high school teacher for the last 16 years. My problems started in early 2000's but saw a Orthopedist for extreme pain in the upper right area of my back. MRI revealed mild central canal stenosis in the C6-C4 vertebra. The epidural done in 2008 , lasted about one year. Since then, especially beginning after the C7 epidural, I started having severe lower back pain. It has become so bad that I can't perform my duties as a high school teacher.
The latest MRI's reveal not much difference in the C7 area but this is the radiologist report for lower back;

L2-3 Disc dessication and moderate disc height loss are noted with large concentric annular disc bulge and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy combining to create a moderate central canal stenosis.
L3-4 Same as above, except No central canal stenosis.
L4-5 Endplate Scmorl's node at superior aspect of the endplate of L5. There is bilateral ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and mild facet arthropothy, There is some flattening of the thecal sac from mild concentric annualr disc bulge. Ther is some modest attenuation of the lateral recesses bilaterally at the level wher the L5 nerve root reside. The neural formanina are mildly stenotic from facet arthropathy at this level, approx. the sam bilaterally.

L5-S1 There is a mild concentric annular disc bulge. The central canal and lateral recesses are widely patent. Asymetric right-sided facet arthropathy is mild. The neural formanina are severely stenotic on both sides secondary ro loss of disc height primarily.
1. Severs bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L5-S1.
2.Mild neural foramina narrowing bilaterally at L4-5 and mild lateral recess narrowing bilaterally at L4-5.
3.Moderate central Canal stenosis at l2-3.

Is this diagnosis enough to get a disabilty retirement through the Teaxs Teacher's Retirement System? I see an Orthpedic pain mgmt./surgeon tommorow. I want surgery to be the very last choice. I also have had two series of ministrokes(TIA), one in early 2009 and another in Sept. of this year. If I just could take it easy, I can control back pain to a certain degree but on my feet 4-6 hours a day and 3-4 sitting/ working at a computer, I'm living on Vicodins 3-4, 7.5 mg daily. My job is a pressure cooker as far as stress. The teaching job in itself sucks but with the pain on top of it, it's torture. What can I expect. I know this is a Dengenerative disease.

• Have you read the article on degenerative disk disease here on spine health? It is degenerative only in the way that life is degenerative- it's not really a disease per say, but just a term for the normal wear and tear on our spines (which were not really designed to last our new 70-80 year lifespans, although some people's do, a huge percentage of us can expect trouble in our lifetime).

I wonder, have you been using your annual physical therapy sessions? I bet that would really help? I decided to help my DDD along by breaking my back 3 years ago and the one thing I was told was that I will want to do this for the rest of my life (this year I have not yet, saving them up for post-surgery). I always feel better when I am in PT!