Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bobbinladybbobbinlady Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there

Someone just occurred to me. I have had a TLIF and would like to know if I will be able to wear heels when I am finished healing 8> . Not 4" stilletos or anything like that, just maybe a 2" or wedgies. Otherwise they all go out with all of the clothes I can't wear anymore because of all the weight I've lost. ;)

• Heels are so subjective with our spines. I've worn heels to job interviews and my TLIF was almost 10 months ago, but they aren't comfortable. However, with that said, they've never been comfortable for me and I'm a flat-shoe kinda gal.

I would imagine that if you wore them regularly before your surgery, you'd probably be ok after quite a while, but my concern would be misstepping and falling before you're fully fused. I'm so not used to them that that's my biggest worried when forced to wear them, but with your low ones and if you're used to them, it may be different for you.

Dot, how are you doing since surgery? How's the recovery? How far along in recovery are you?

I don't know, but aren't heels bad for all of us spineys? Maybe someone out there knows. I know that Jim Howie likes his ruby red pumps, but then again, they came from the wicked witch of the west which makes them extra special...

• Hi Cath

Today begins week 4 after my TLIF. I must say that I am feeling great. The back and leg/foot pain are gone almost all of the way. Just surgical pain now. Sometimes I forget to take my meds at specified times. Tossed away the walker the day I got my staples out. I'm walking with a cane and sometimes even forget it. There are 17 stairs in my house which I have had to navigate since I got home from the hospital and at first they were hard, until I got my balance back. Can't use the treadmill, it's kind of wobbly which makes me nervous, so I have been using my patio as a sort of small track.

Everyday gets better, and I can't wait to get back to work or at least start PT. I am sooooooo bored.

Talk to ya'll soon.
  • The other reason I asked about the heels is because there is a lady at work that wears Dr Scholls "Dance". They are a wedge of about 2" and 1" for the front of the shoe. She wears them all the time and says they are really comfortable.
  • I'm anxious for you to get to PT also. It helped me tremendously. One thing that really surprised me when I got to PT was how unbalanced I was. I had never tried so I didn't know, but I couldn't stand on one leg. PT people said that was normal and they helped me to get my balance back.

Take care of yourself. I know recovery is boring, but four weeks post major spine surgery is still very, very early in recovery. I think the biggest problem during this time is when you feel so good you do some things you shouldn't and end up paying the price. So try not to do anything against your restrictions, as difficult as it is.

Keep us posted, ok?
  • You should have an appt with your surgeon soon, shouldn't you? If so, talk to him about the heels. If not, I'd make a call and see what they say.
  • Hi Cath

Thanks for getting back to me. You're right, I feel like I can go back to work, clean the house and all of that. (No I haven't done any of it) My appt is Nov 9, and he has my Short Term Dis. set up til Nov 30. So I guess I just have to be patient. :S
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I only wear them when I have to. When I was still working I would put them on when a big meeting started and on the way back to my office take them off. I have always hated heels so it wasn't too much of a concern. I have some 2 inch wedge sandals and have worn them out to dinner but not when I'm at a friends house and may be standing much of the evening.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • put unnecessary pressure on your lower spine. It's just poor body mechanics. I'd ditch them along with the old clothes. Lots of stylish flat shoes out there these days.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.