Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint Injection

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Injections
My pain clinic just called, and I get my SI joint injection next week. I've never had one, actually, this is the first "major" injection I've had in my lower back, all my experience with injections are in my neck. I've had 2 RFAs, and 3 fact joint injections in my neck, and many blocks done. I'm not sure why, but I'm really nervous about getting the SI injection! Anyone else had them? I know the procedure is exactly the same as the facet joint injections (under flouroscopy). Maybe I'm just nervous because I've never had help with my back before, the focus has always been on my neck...
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• Yes I've had them 6x this year and last ones were 11 days ago. I haven't had them in my neck yet but that area is so sensitive for me. I think they go deeper with the lower back ones but not sure about that? I get facet joint and bilateral SI and upper butt and hip nerve block and ESI at the same time. SI are about the same feeling as facet joint injections for me anyway since they numb the area before injecting. I've had some relief of pain and more flexibility with them. Hope they work for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I have had these done. The first one I had was a diagnostic one to confirm SI Joint Dysfunction.

Two weeks ago I had a lumbar block, sympathetic nerve block with coccyx injections and... a midline SI Joint injection or block. I am pretty sure it was an injection, but the results feel like a block. :)

Everyone is different, so keep this in mind when I tell you how the SI Joint injections felt with me. They hurt during the time they inject you, but afterwards... the relief is incredible!

I don't have much pain with my other nerve blocks and injections, but the SI Joint ones did hurt during the procedure.

I hope you get excellent relief from the injection. My lower back and coccyx area feels great right now and I hope the medication lasts 3 months. That's generally when I can have them done... every three months.

I wish you the best of luck next week! Are you getting light sedation? That helps to take the edge off. If you can handle the neck injections and blocks, I think you will do just fine with the SI Joint injection.

Take good care and please keep us posted!!!

Tammy >:D<
  • Thanks, ladies!! I'm so glad that they've helped you! (and am seriously hoping they help me, too, lol) Tammy, this one is diagnostic for me, too. Just had my blocks again this morning. He calls them blocks, but I think what my blocks are, are different from the blocks that you guys are talking about? He just injects anesthesia and a very little steroid. It numbs my lower back (my neck, halfway up my skull and down past my shoulders in my arms when he does my neck). They give me relief for a few hours at least. The shots in my back though, have actually helped for a day or two. He does give a light sedation when he does the injections under flouroscopy. Between that, and breathing/meditation exercises, I'm usually fine with the pain from the injections. I actually woke myself up snoring the last time LOL. I had jumped, thank goodness he wasn't doing anything at the moment!! We all had a good chuckle over it. I think I'm just nervous because it's unchartered territory for me, but then again, I wasn't like this before I had the first one for my neck. Weird, eh? It also could be that the last RFA I had on my neck turned out badly, and 3 months later am still feeling the pain from it, I'd hate to have the same result with this.
  • About the light sedation. I really think it helps to relax me more and allows me to also do some deep breathing. Sometimes I hold my breath to the count of 10 and slowly breathe out, on a few of the injections. My doctor forewarns me and calmly says, "Okay, slow deep breath and let's all count to 10". It's cute, as the nurses and whoever else is in the room during the injections/blocks seriously count out loud to 10!

Since this is your diagnostic injection, you will feel a good "pinch" if you test positive. The kind of pinch to where your voice may groan with an "OMG" tossed in there. It's real quick, so keep that in mind.

What day do you have this done? Would love to keep you in my thoughts when you have this done. O:) I always write Charry's stuff down and any others I see posted.

I had to laugh about your snoring episode. It's rare for me to get to lay on my tummy, due to how sore my front rib cages are? Well, when I go in for my blocks/injections... I have to lay on my tummy. They get me special pillows and get me really comfy. I used to always sleep on my tummy or sides prior to my fall and there was one time I dozed off a little too. Didn't get to the snoring stage, but I sure was relaxed! Just left some drool on the pillow. :D

• Good luck! My PM has promised me SI joint RFA after my surgery, and I'm looking forward to it. I hope your injection works!
  • Thanks mom!! I hope it works for you, too!

Tammy, I'm pretty sure I left some drool, too, ROFL. Thanks for the info, I will definitely remember that! I'm going next week on Wednesday, thanks for the thoughts!!
  • So I had my injection yesterday, and all I can say is "WOW!!!" I had no pain for about 4 hours, then it started to creep back, got pretty bad for a while, but I just laid on my heating pad, which soothed it some. I woke up this morning, had no problems getting out of bed (well, at least from that issue, lol) My lower back didn't hurt!! My hubby was shocked because normally he has to help me get up! I also had a doctor's appointment after lunch, and they were running behind. I was sitting in the waiting room for over 1/2 hour and only had minimal pain! I can't remember the last time I sat in that waiting room in the past two years when the pain didn't spike within a couple of minutes. Normally, just the 20 minute drive does me in and those chairs finish the job. Why do medical offices have such uncomfortable chairs in the waiting rooms, anyways? lol

I'm so happy, if it weren't for my bad knees and leg, I'd do a little happy dance :D
  • Wow! You guys are all so brave! I am terrified of these injections and have major panic attacks so I have refuse to have them or even get the EMG done. I am only willing to do the injections if I can find a doctor who will totally knock me out. I have had IVs put in me that were so painful it was worse than labor pain so I have bad memories from past experiences. I also have fibromyalgia so things that do not hurt others can send me through the roof! I am working with a wonderful psychologist who does hypnotherapy and guided imagery and he has helped me immensely over the past 9 years. I will know more after my MRI with contrast next Wednesday.

sue in ohio