Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glucosomine, "Joint Juice" etc. Help!

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Hey All,

I have a question for my trusted spiney friends.

Do any of you use those arthritis/joint meds that are OTC?

When I rest in my recliner with heating pad because my back hurts, then get up I feel like 100 years old: mainly my hips, they kill me. Was wondering if any of you have found some relief with those products.

• was not effective for arthritis. That being said, my BIL swears by it.
  • My orthopedist recommends it. Says that it doesnt work for everything and everyone but says it won't hurt you.
  • I take glucosamine/chondroiton with MSM all in one tablet and have taken it for almost 4 months and have less pain in elbow and knee and feet where I have arthritis. Check out mayo site. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I think I'm going to give it a try. Not thrilled with having to take yet another thing, but if it will help, so be it!

• I, like Charry, take a tablet containing glucosamine, chrondroiton and MSN. From things that I have read, I don't think that it will help with my spine problems, but I hope it will help with my knees.

I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

• I take MSM, should also be taking glucosamine, chrondroiton but I'm not presently. It takes some months for these to work so don't expect it work overnight. But it's worth trying.

I also take Systemic Enzymes which help with inflammation.

Another good supp to take for Arth. is Fish Oil.
    For this you will need at least 3 grams of EPA and DHA every day. EPA and DHA usually do not equal the whole capsule of fish oil, so you will have to read the label and do some math to get 3 grams of EPA and DHA. Check with your Dr if you have bleeding problems and stop taking F.O. at least 2 weeks before surgery because it thins the blood.
    Start with a small daily dose and work up to 3 Grams.
    Also buy a good quality F.O.

Take Vitamin D! It helps with bone health AND JOINT HEALTH. Too many Dr's are not testing there patients
    for low D. If your Dr dosen't test you then ask him for a 25ohd vitamin D test.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey lisa,
    I've been taking 1500 mg daily of Glucosamine/Chondroitin for several years upon recommendation of my rheumatologist to help me battle with the effects of severe OA.
    Does it help? I want to believe so. I don't think it harms any as I have had no side effects.
    Ask you Dr(s) for their opinions on it.
    Good luck to you.
  • for your help. Actually I will be meeting with my Dr. with my latest MRIs of my neck wed. morning and I'll mention to him my new hip problems.

As for Vit D: yep, tested extremely low, just started a px for 50,000 units once a week.

• lisa burek said:
    for your help. Actually I will be meeting with my Dr. with my latest MRIs of my neck wed. morning and I'll mention to him my new hip problems.

As for Vit D: yep, tested extremely low, just started a px for 50,000 units once a week.

Good, now make sure that they get your D level up to up least 40 ng/ml. Ask for a copy of the blood test to check the number yourself and don't take their word for it. Many Drs think that a lower ng/ml is okay. It isn't
  • Here's a PDF copy of the latest study regarding those supplements:

Best wishes to you,

This discussion has been closed.