Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bed time....

TraciTTraci Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 4 weeks post op three level PLIF L4-S1. I have pain in my left leg after being up and around but the pain goes away after a night in bed. How much time should I be spending in bed during the day? I don't want to stay in the bed if I am supposed to be up and around. I walk about 1 to 1.5 miles per day but would feel the best if I laid in bed the rest of the time. What is your opinion?
Traci
advertisement

Comments

• Well, I did not get any input about this question so I thought maybe I worded it wrong. I am still having the pains. I am wondering if I am sitting and standing too long and need to lay down longer. Thanks for the help.
    Traci
  • I'll probably be having back surgery (see below) within the next 12 months. The one thing I have seen on here is it can take months maybe even around a year for a lot of your pain to go away! A fusion anywhere in the spine changes the dynamics and loading. Your nerves too have to take a while to heal and settle down.

4 weeks is very early too into your recovery. If it gets much worse, I would call my surgeon and explain what is going on just to be sure. But patience with any of these surgeries is the key. Your body had a LOT of induced trauma by the surgery. Sorry no one replied, that happens sometimes. I hope you feel better soon. *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It sounds like you're actually doing really well. I'm impressed by how much walking you're doing - I'm almost 3 months post-op and it takes me 15 minutes to walk around my crescent. One thing I've noticed is that every day is different, something new/different hurts in a different way all the time, and I just try to take that as signs my body is doing its best to make adjustments to the new "normal". My family doc told me to expect "good days and bad weeks for up to a year" - not thrilling to hear, but so far a pretty apt description.
  • Traci, I am 9 weeks post two-level fusion and I find if I stand for long periods of time it takes a lot out of me. In fact I stood for a long time in a line and my feet swelled up really bad, so I don't stand in one place for a long time. I try to listen to my body, when I need to rest I do, I don't really lie down during the day, but I do sit in my recliner several times a day. I also walk at least a mile a day and do my physical therapy every night. And like Millie said we all have good days and bad days. Take care and I wish you the best in your recovery.

Lisa
  • I agree, you're still early in your recovery. If you are walking up to 1.5 miles a day, that's brilliant. I found walking to be the best thing, but it is tiring. Also, when you're at home, sitting is probably the most painful thing you can do - at 4 weeks, if I remember, I was only sitting for up to 30 minutes before I had to go and lay down.

So don't worry about having to lay down. It's the best place for your body to recuperate. Some days you'll need to lay down more than others. If your back feels painful, then lay down. Don't beat yourself up about it - in the longrun you'll soon find that you can sit for a little longer each week.

Recovery after fusion is a slow process - it cannot be rushed, so you're doing the right thing by laying down whenever you feel it's necessary.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Like these other ladies have said: you are in the very early stages of recovery. Listen to your body: if laying down for awhile makes it feel better then by all means lay down!!

Take care,
    Lisa

P.S. the walking is great.
  • Thanks for "showing" me that I am normal or should I say as normal as possible. No one has ever really called me normal. All joking aside, I don't know what makes me think that laying down is bad but that is what is in my head. I found out that if I go ahead and lay down when I "feel" like it instead of trying not to do it, I don't have to lay down nearly as long to get over it. Thanks again..
    Traci
advertisement