Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Test/-procedure" I had today--thoracic

jewelspetjjewelspet Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I had what he called a medial branch ..?? Test done today in thoracic area around T6 T 7. He injected pain med (no steroids) two sticks, ouch, then had me sit up & ask me was I pain free, I said no, so while sitting up he stuck me again, then said move around see if I was pain free then, no waiting to see,,,,,, I said well I'm afraid I'm still hurting , I don't know if it's from being very sore from you going in there or not..... I'm to let them know how long I'm pain free ( a hour or 1 or 2 days). Actually I was never "pain free"! It maybe was not hardly as strong as it was when I walked in but sitting is worse than anything & I had pain riding home & I have pain sitting here now just like usual (a knife in the back). I looked & it is swollen to the left of the injection quite a bit.

So, I'm wondering what he can do next??? They said something about depending on how long the pain med injection helped me might could burn nerves in the area...

He didn't go by the MRI, he went by where I told him when He touched. What if I told him the wrong spot? It hurts ALL thru there, I have DDD , 3 bulging disc in thoracic, T6 is in contact w/the cord but not compressing.

Going to go lay o ice, can't take pain med tonight, but I will be back on it tomorrow.

• I would be hesitant to let anyone do RFA to the nerves unless you had no kidding real pain relief from the medial branch block. Try not to get hung up on what your MRI states. It's a good sign that the doc is listening to you in order to target your pain generator.

Hope you feel better in the morning.

• Hi Jewels,

I hope you are feeling better very soon. I was told that my medial branch block was a diagnostic procedure to see if a nerve burn would be beneficial. I hope that you get the relief that you are seeking. My medial branch block was xray guided. I am not sure if your doctor did that. I agree that you need a positive result from your medial branch block in order to attempt the RFA/rhizotomy nerve burn. (as per my dr anyway)

I was also wondering if you have ever tried lidocaine trigger point injections in that area. They seemed to help me in addition to aqua pool therapy and lidoderm patches alternating with heat patches,(never heat with lidoderm patches at the same time). I hope things work out well for you!

glo :)
  • I've had some relief with acupuncture in this area, too, as well as trigger point injections. I have to admit that the rhizotomy gave me the best results, and I'm scheduled for another one tomorrow, but the t-spine is a sensitive area to do them because of the risk of puncturing the lung.

I hope you get some relief.

• I have had a few medial nerve shots both pre and post thoracic surgery.. My dr has always done my under some kind of live x-ray as to be careful to get in the correct spot.. My fusion was on T5-T6 so my Dr always does 3 levels T3-T4, T4-T5,T5-T6... My shots have a numbing medicine and a steroid in them so I got about 6 hours of pain relief which was better then nothing for me... (I also get to take a nap for my shots.. I don't do needles so I probably wouldn't do the shots if she didn't use sedation.. Lol) since the numbing meds were working we did the nerve burning.. Since I was asleep I only know what I was told but I hear my muscles were not so happy about the burning process and they had spasms so bad they had to have a few nurses hold me down.. I was extremely sore for a few days following but never notice a differce.. Well about 6 weeks ago we tried a scar injection and when I woke up all the things that should have been numb from my nerve burning 3 months ago finally were.. Your nerves can get caught up in scar tissue and it must have happened in my scar from my thoracic fusion.. Unfortunately the burning of my nerve endings didn't help ease the pain with my nerves at all.. But I think it was worth the try.. It sucks that your Dr makes you do your shots awake and without the aid of an x-ray.. Using a live x-ray allows them to be much more exact on the locate and there fore hopefully having a better shot of relieving your pain.. Tomorrow will be my 2nd time with acupuncture and I am not a big fan.. But it may have to do with the fact that I have hardware were they are putting the needle because when they put those little things in my back it is like getting hit with a bag of bricks.. My Dr could only get 2 in last time and said she couldn't get them in deep.. I don't know what that means but I didn't lime the sound of it because I could barely stand the pressure from that session much less more needles pushed in deeper.. Then you lay there for 30 mins... I'm just hoping that it gets easier as I go... Fingers crossed.!.!.!