Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 Dr. told me I could get disc replacement surgery but, ...

jmunsonjjmunson Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in New Member Introductions
because of an insurance issue he now wants to do a fusion. I don't want a fusion because of the degenerating discs above that level. I could actually use 2 disc replacements; does anybody know of a Dr. who could help me? I go through serious pain everyday and even walking is getting limited. I have a family and need to work so, I smile through the pain and go on. I'm willing to travel and my insurance from work would cover most of the costs for the surgery if not all. Any feedback from others would be appreciated immensely. Thank you for listening.

• I don't understand. The first Dr (is he a NS/OS?) said there is an insurance problem with an ADR and then you said your work insurance will pay for most of it and you want two levels? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me (but I am on pain meds so don't take it personally:) )

Can you tell us what is going on?
    Where are your problems? Cervical or Lumbar?
    What is your diagnosis?
    What kind of tests have you had?
    What kind of doctor are you working with?
    Lastly what treatments have you tried?

I know the ADR's are not for everyone. I wanted an ADR or ADR hybred surgery when I first started down this path. Unfortunately it wasn't in the cards for me. My back is a mess.

Feel better >:D<

• Hi,

First let me say welcome to spine-health have a look around. What level of the spine are you talking they want to do a disc replacement? I am a bit confused is your insurance company saying they won't approve so why the doctor is saying he will do a fusion in place of it? ADR's are still hard to get through some insurance companies and depending on the levels and the condition. Also not everyone is a candidate for ADR. One important thing to find out if whomever puts a ADR in you and something was to go wrong can they take it out. I would be sure they are skilled on the removal as well, if something were to go wrong.

Check out the insurance forum there are several older post on ADR's and insurance that might help.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health.
  • I was told in US, ADR is only approved for one level for lumbar spine and that the rest of your lumbar has to be in top form. I researched this option for mysekf & I was NOT a candidate. I have read in other threads that in Europe they do multi-level ADR's.

Again as the other members posted, I am not sure of what region of your spine is problematic.
    Good luck in your search and I hope you find a procedure that relieves you of your pain.