Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hurt, scared, and broke

birdiebbirdie Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Lower Back Pain
Last year I had the axialif spinal fusion on L5-S1. I knew we couldn't afford it but I felt we had no choice. It took my 5 months to feel better. And this summer I felt great. I thought I was cured and was eager to get back to work and start paying down our debt. I was looking for a job all summer but couldn't find one without heavy lifting. Well, thank God for small blessings because a job might have hurt me more. As it is I haven't done anything strenuous and now my back is hurting again. I know I need to call the Doctor and find out what is going on but I am scared that he will say surgery, PT, or other expensive testing that I can not afford. We are barely getting by now and my husband is working as hard as he can. I can not work and do not qualify for any kind of disability because I was a stay at home mom for the last 5 years. What in the world to you do when you can't afford your portion of your healthcare? My husbands insurance doesn't cover much. And after my last surgery I found the hospital was not very helpful as far as making payment arrangements. As a matter of fact I had to pay my deductible before they would discharge me! I just hate feeling like my husband and young daughter will lose everything because of me.

• Hiya >:D< Welcome to spine health >:D< I am so sorry for your situation. Remember you are not alone here >:D< My heart goes out to you. Is there a hospital that you can go to that can check you out? i do not know what these hospitals are called(missionary hospitals i think) :? . There will be someone along who can advise you better than myself as i am from England! Keep posting to let us know how you are >:D<

Angie :H
  • If you are in US, and you don't have insurance you can ASK for the Medicaid//medicare rate, which can be as low as 66% of price. My sister is in a similar situation and has been very successful with this price negotiation technique. She has gotten MRI for only $200; I know that is still A LOT of money, but that same MRI for me bills my insurance $2000! Of course, the insurance negotiates that rate and maybe only pays $600... and before I hit my max out of pocket, I would be forking over about $115 in addition, its a broken system...... but there should be some help for you.

Another thing you may try is many communities have health clinics, state &local funding which provides a sliding scale system for payment of treatment, based on your income.
    I hope you are able to find affordable treatment and that you find relief from your current pain.
    Best of luck,
  • I was going to suggest negotiations.
    I guess I never realized this was an option until I hurt my back. The surgeon I wanted was out of network and I couldn't afford him. He & I agreed to a rate that was the same as my 'in network rate'.

When I needed the 2nd surgery my insurance was even worse. I ended up switching doctors for other reasons but my surgeon, again, was willing to work with me as long as I was willing to write a hardship letter for him to have on-file on why I needed the price reduction.

Remember everything is negotiable.

As for your back pain -> could it just be an inflammation? Don't be too worried too quickly.

As for a job, thank goodness you didn't take a lifting job. You should look for something like a cash register or even in retail that doesn't require lifting. Good luck
  • Have you been keeping up with your physical therapy exercises? Remember, some things are free!

This discussion has been closed.