Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

End Plate Erosion after PLIF?

borlandibborlandi Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Healthy non smoker, 1 yr Post PLIF, still in major pain and 1yr CT scan confirms minimal fusion posterior, none anterior and laterally only on the left side. On top of that, due to non-union i have end plate erosion on both levels that is worsened since my 6 month post op CT. I would like to wait it out another 4-6 months to hope for more fusion, but the erosion doesn't afford me that luxury. Dr recommends anterior revision to swap out plastic spacers for larger titanium cages, using BMP and cadaver bone again.

Anyone else experience end plate erosion due to non-union? I'm afraid that if I don't get the revision the erosion will continue.
Thanks for replys

• so sorry to hear your not fusing well. i have end plate erosion too in my lumbar and need a fusion. what are the plastic spacers , are they like thick poker chips or are they plastic cages and what is your drs reasoning to put in large titanium cages .

in other words what are the advantages

sending you positve healing energy
    welcome to spine health , lots of lovely people here and great articles and search facilities
  • The plastic spacers are very small "cages" that are put in with a posterior approach. By going anterior (front), there is more room to access a larger space to put in the larger cages. The titanium cage used in this approach is nasty looking, very spikey and has a higher probability of helping the fusion take hold. Plus, he mentioned that the plastic in the posterior spacers may have reacted with the BMP in a negative manner.

Anyone else get this feedback?
  • why my ns wants to do what your surgeon is proposing in the re-do
    seems to make sense, what about getting a 2nd opinion from ns/os to ease your mind/validate this procedure for the re-do?

Hopefully , there is another on the forum here who has had similiar to answer your queiry
    take care