Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone heard of "Spinal Fluid Pressure" ?

RRraeRRRrae Posts: 85
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
This is new to me.

I have a friend who recently had 2 (yes 2!) SCS's at the same time (cervical and lumbar).
At her recent appt, her Dr said her spinal pressure reading was elevated, which was causing headaches and pain....

So, they wanted to see if the SCS was causing this. They did a pressure reading with her units turned ON and the reading was elevated......when they did a reading with her units OFF, the spinal pressure went DOWN. :/

I have never heard of such a thing.
When I turn my lumbar SCS on, I can feel a 'pressure/tightening' sensation in my lower back and am wondering if perhaps this is related to the back pain issues I am experiencing. :?

Any thoughts on this?

• Yes I have dealt with this personally and I have a friend who actually had to have a shunt placed in order to drain excess spinal fluid from her spine into her stomach. I have long noticed that with any increase in intrathecal pressure, there's an increase in stimulation from my SCS. For example when you sneeze or have to push or bear down when using the bathroom, it normally causes an increase in stimulation. It's generally not that big of a deal so hardly gets discussed. Years ago my neurosurgeon discussed with me how we all have a sacral "pump" that keeps the CSF flowing through our spinal cord. He thought that was a problem I was having and it was quite interesting to learn about.

It is interesting how her SCS would cause the pressure to increase. I will be curious to know what the final determination is.

Yes more and more docs are implanting multiple SCS's. If and when the medications I take for my lumbar radiculopathy begin to fail, a second SCS has been suggested.

I hope your friend gets some answers soon.

• Thank you C

So you've experienced issues regarding this first-hand!

I'll let you know what her doc says if this continues to be an issue. She has a lot of other medical/autoimmune issues going on as well....so, her thing could be any number of culprits, but yes it is strange how the SCS seemed to actually cause the pressure to increase.

I didn't realize you were battling lumbar issues....
    It is a very frustrating thing to have to deal with, no doubt about that. I hope somehow your condition can turn around and you can begin to see improvement.
    Best Wishes
  • Rae

Thanks for the kind words. The good thing is, that my lower back pain and lumbar radiculopathy are quite manageable with the meds I take. Neurontin and Celebrex do a good job for that.

I hope your friend is okay and that her doc gets to the bottom of this soon.

Time to hit the hay,

• I'm glad those meds are working for you C....

Man, I've tried Neurontin 2 times during the past 6 yrs and for some reason I get VERY 'mental'......I mean VERY mental......thinking about death aLOT and.....well, let's just say - our minds can take us to some very DARK places! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

I recently had Xrays of my lumbar and my pain doc said I have degenerative issues, like alot of folks as we age......and didn't think a thing of it. I didn't want to pursue 'complaining' about it for fear of sounding like a baby, so I guess this is something I'm just gonna have to 'live' with......