Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post vacation pain

lisadaylenellisadaylene Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well, I just returned after a week in Cabo san Lucas. Had a wonderful time I have to say. Wore my bone stimultor almost every day, took my medication twice a day. But for two days since returning I did pay the price a little. Low back pain for the first time in quite a while. I had my double fusion Aug 27th. I think one problem was all the standing in one place, airports, line to see Sammy Hagar, and all the walking like walking on the sand, a lot! But, I did not do any of the things I knew I couldn't like horseback riding, snorkeling (did not want to risk a wave doing any damage) volleyball etc...

So, I have spent the last three days just taking it slow, not bending at all and the pain is just about gone. I am going to see my doctor on Monday, and hope to have my first Xray since my surgery. And like everyone else always says, I just want to make sure I didn't hurt anything and that my hardware is just like it should be. Nothing feels out of place, and I am sure everything is fine.
I am trying to catch up on everyone's posts, hope you are all doing as well as can be expected. Just want to say, if any of you plan a vacation, play it safe, obey your doctor, and don't do anything crazy. Take care, LIsa

• Ok, my lower back is really hurting now. I am using the grabber that I had put away and being very careful about moving about. Here is my question.

Has anyone experienced post fusion back pain from standing for long periods? The one thing that I did on vacation was have to stand for a long time in one place, I am talking about hours. I would change positions, from one leg to the other, and for two days had lots of hip pain which is gone. The other thing was walking on the sand at the beach. Is it possible I aggrevated the muscles surrounding my fusion? Also, I did carry my carry-on for a little while, most of the time my husband did. But I never lifted it from the ground and I used my arms to carry it, not my back to lift it. I guess I will have to wait until next week when I get my xray to find out, but I am just hoping that nothing I did messed up the fusion.
  • I think you just over did it.you did way too much it's only been couple months since you got the surgery of everything you did in your vaccations standing and sitting for to long thats the worse thing for a fusion surgery .I think the harware is fine you are just paying for overdoing it and having too much fun. just kitting .make sure to ice you back and rest
  • Thank you so much for your reassuring comments. I totally agree with you that I did too much. It was really hard to try to not overdue it while on vacation. We had planned my husband's 50th birthday trip for three years, so there was no cancelling. I am going to the doctor tomorrow, and I am sure that he will say that everything looks good. Every day I am feeling better. Thank again for writing, take care.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I'm afraid you'll find that standing for long periods will be you worst enemy in the future. It could just be inflammation thou. So try Ice 20 min on and 30 min off. And some anti inflammatories (nsaids), Motrin, Ibuprofen, even aspirins. Will help.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thank you for the helpful comments. I will try ice, I have used heat, I find that sitting in the jacuzzi really helps for several hours after. I will talk to my doctor tomorrow about taking something for inflamation. I am on neurontin and percocet twice a day right now.
    I feel like writing Sammy Hagar an angry letter about standing in line to see him sing! Just kidding, it was (almost) worth it.
    I did take a look at your medical history. Unbelievable. I have read of a lot of others who had remarkable recoveries, and then found they needed more done. I really hope that I look back at this fusion I had as a good thing. It is the first back surgery I have had. Hopefully the last.

Thank you, Lisa