Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scuba diving after discetomy

tigerlillyttigerlilly Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Exercise and Rehab
any one been diving after a micro discetomy
many thanks

• I used to be an avid diver. I have a friend that is a Police Diver and qualified paramedic and unqualified diving doctor, based on the 35 years that I have known and dived with him. I've had 4 x fusion op's.

He has told me that my diving days are gone and snorkeling is it. I would prefer to stab myself with a spoon than snorkel.

He suggested that due to the scar tissue that is present, there is an increased risk of neurological decompression illness.

A surgeon that is a qualified diving doctor and also operated on me said that diving would be ok after 1 years lay-off. I am now suing that person for other reasons.

My advice is that you see a neurological surgeon that knows about diving he sees what he suggests.

Good luck & I hope that you are pain free!

Kind regards
    More titanium steel in me than a modern car.....
  • I went back to diving after lots of work on my spine. I did this with the blessings of my neurosurgeon, neurologist and PM doc. (click on my username to see what has been done) I even went back to diving my doubles where there were long walks across the reef for entry and exits. I would carry my camera gear and deco bottle as well. While it is true that scar tissue has more of a tendency to trap gas, if you have good profile practices and good accent control, this can all be controlled to reduce or eliminate the possibility of bubble formation. Knowing that the risk is higher, made me a better and smarter diver. I even dive with my spinal cord stimulator which limits my depth now, so I can no longer do the 130' plus dives.