Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tough being lost in the mix

Will I AmWWill I Am Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a fusion done earlier this year, and just returned to work at the end of August. I was on non-occupational disability while off.

I have been in intense 7's pain constantly every day since. Finally got some images done, and found there was a pedicle screw penetrating the nerve root by s1.

Also, BMP was used for the fusion medium, and apparently it grew so fast that it when outside the disc space and started attaching itself to anything it could find.

Long story short, I have been put on the short list for surgery. I quit eating at night after 10, and don't eat again until noon the following day. They could literally call at 9 am and tell me to come in if someone cancels.

Here's the kicker. Work. My prior disability has a "warranty" clause that states that if within 60 days of returning to work you become disabled again with the SAME issue, then I am automatically, seamlessly on non-occ. disability, and my work is happy.

As long as I can get the Dr to put in his notes that I am disabled as of any date before 10/27, then I will be fine. However, how in the heck do you get through to someone to tell this to?? You have to get through the front desk ladies at my surgeon's office before reaching the nurse.

I know my Dr. would happily do it, I just need to let him know. I hate having to go throught the story above a million times to someone that can't do anything about it.

This life is more than frustrating.

• Will I Am,

This might be one of those times that your showing up at the office might work best? Sometimes "face time" goes a long way in getting things done. Less chance too that your employers information that you need gets lost in the shuffle. Any chance of doing that?

Another option is fax his office directly with what is going on, and what you need documented for your employer. I've had very good success with that method. Plus you have a confirmation on sending this request in, and so staff are less apt to get away with "But he never asked us for..." I then follow up once the fax status report says "send successful" with a phone call to the NS's office to confirm they got it, and emphasize "please get this to the nurse/doctor, as I need this as soon as possible." I hope it all works out for you.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I dont know how to reply to quote's on message boards.
    So i'll just tell ya, "i agree with brenda"
    Especially her 1st paragraph.
    And dont delay. Face Time.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Also, The Surgeon should have a surgery scheduler, usually a nurse or Physicians assistant, who probably knows more than the surgeon. And will likely be doing it anyway.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Get their extention number. then by pass the front desk.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    What you need is the surgeon's medical assistant, nurse or whoever does the actual form completion. If you were seen for the MRI and they have a diagnosis it's clear that you are disabled.

Under most recurrent disability provisions you often need little paperwork. So contact the claim staff at the company that did your claim and ask them what you need to do. Give them a quick synopsis of the severe pain and the need to go out of work while awaiting subsequent surgery and you are on the cancellation list so the surgery could be any day now so you'd like to expedite getting your claim reopened and ask the claim staff "exactly what do I need to have my prior claim reopened as this is due to the same cause"

Have you gone back out of work? Under the recurrent disability clause you must go out of work for the same or related cause before the 60 days is up so I urge you to push through to the staff who can complete any STD/LTD paperwork for you and consider making tomorrow your last day at work (or if you are already out make sure the staff at the doctors office that does the paperwork knows the last day you worked).

Also, put together a brief letter for the doctor's office

"As you know I have had severe pain and had an MRI on xx/xx/xxxx which showed xxxxxxxx. As of xx/xx/xxxx Dr. X has indicated I need surgery as soon as possible as thus I am on the cancellation list. The severe pain I have due to this problem led me to go back out of work on xx/xx/xxxx. Based on my "Short Term Disability / Long Term Disability / Whatever your exact plan is called" my plan allows for me to be immediately put back on my prior claim from earlier this year due to recurrent disability as long as I am disabled within 60 days of returning to work. Thus I need your help in denoting that I went out of work again on xx/xx/xxxx and the reason for the pain"
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you all for the comments.

I did see a fair amount of people face to face, however they were just at the front desk. The main problem yesterday was that Thursday is my surgeon's clinic day. It is usually a mad house in there ALL day.

I will wait impatiently until noon for someone to call me back, then I will start my efforts again.

My work says that as long as I get something even in November that says my disability began on or before Oct 27th, then we are fine. That is a relief.

There is, however, a caveat. If I haven't heard from anyone for sure about this, I have to gamble that it will be taken care of, and not show up to work. HUGE gamble!!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    As of the date of the images that show the problem you would be likely considered disabled. Is your disability administered by your employer or by an insurance company. If it's by your employer then all you likely need is a note from the doctor "as of xx/xx/xxxx it was determined that xxxxx was unable to work due to a direct effect of complications from his surgery originally performed on xxxx."

You have to call every day to get to someone who can get you exactly what you need. call them every day every few hours. Tell whoever you speak to that this is a desperate but simple situation (if indeed it's just your employer administering the disability and not an insurance company or third party administrator)

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I finally got things taken care of. My surgeon called me himself, and told me he would take care of everything.(and he did)

I am off of work as of today, and it has been a very restful day. I may even get my hair cut if I have the time! :)

Thanks everyone!
  • wonderful news !! :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.