Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Complete....in room now

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Fusion complete....in room now. Whoever told me the anticipation is worse than the surgery is somewhat correct. So far it's not as bad as what I thought. Things went very well. The disc was very dry....the MRI didn't show how bad it was protruding. The Dr said it was a very good decision to have it done. I was up and walked 75 feet within a half hour after being in room because I wanted to walk. That went well. Dr and staff are wonderful. I'm being treated like a king. :H :H :H

• Great news.

Welcome to the otherside =D> What kind of fusion did you have?

Take it easy. Don't be surprised if you get sore later. The surgeon probably bathed the fusion in a lidocane or something similar. When that wears off you will probably feel something.

Remember to take your pain meds as scheduled it is important.

Good luck,

• Hey John, That is wonderful news and just like Julie said....welcome to the other side...LOL:) Luv ya Julz!!

Please dont do too much even though you feel great....that may make the ache come quicker!! Be good to yourself!!

Keep us updated and you will be in our thoughts!!!
  • You sound very lucid for having just been out of surgery and posting to boot! I'm glad they're treating you well - my hospital experience was fantastic also.

Congrats on being on the other side. Be sure to rest as much as you can between staff "visits". Sometimes they're the worst - just when you're ready for a little snooze, here they come.

It's great to hear from you. Now get off that laptop and get some sleep, man! And press that morphine button a few times while you're at it. :-)

• John,

So glad to hear all went well! Also too, congrats on now being on the other side. Try not to overdue, and as was already stated, follow doctors orders to a T, and take your meds as prescribed. So happy for ya man!! Big ****HUGZ****

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Most important thing right now is.......PUSH THE BUTTON!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad you've got the surgery over with. Whew! I know it's a relief. Now just take it easy and get the recovery under way. I hope this takes care of your problems.

Like some others posted, don't be surprised by the ups and downs.

Good luck,
  • wonderfull news, surgerys over and your walking allready. very happy for you, but dont over do it!
    postive healing energy to you
  • Good news you're out of surgery and doing well. Usually when the Surgeon gets in there they find the discs are worse off then the MRI shows. I'm glad you got surgery when you did to stabilize your spine. I wish you all the best for your recovery and glad you're being well looked after. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to see you are already on the mend. The Hawkeyes need you to cheer for them Saturday.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Great news. Now just get your rest.
    That button is gonna be your best friend for a couple of days, so might as well push it. When i was in the nurse preached to me to use the button.

Good luck
  • Welcome to the other side. I'm going to agree with everyone else and say "push the button". Hope you have a speedy recovery.

• Hi John,

I love that--welcome to the other side--so appropriate to the situation! I may have been the one who said anticipation is worse than the reality, if I didn't actually say that, I should have. As others have already pointed out, you need to take it easy now and let your body start to heal. Sleep - sleep - sleep - well, as much as is possible in the hospital where they take your vital signs every hour, it seems!

As for pushing that button, if you have a PCA with morphine, DO push that button to keep yourself free of pain. I didn't have a PCA--was on oral oxycodone from the get-go, with IV morphine every few hours if needed, but I had to request it. A couple of the nurses would just come in and give it to me as frequently as it was allowed, which I really appreciated.

You're doing great! Keep up the good work and stay off that computer. It's time to let your body heal now. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled

• welcome to the spiney surgery club! :-)

It sounds like things have gone very well and that they are managing to keep you comfortable.
    They took the morphine pump away from me after 6 hours because I was reacting to it; I had very small pupils and was losing my swallow reflex.

Do follow all instructions and be careful not to overdo it. That is a risk when you are feeling so well after surgery. Remember that your body has been through a major trauma, and needs you to be kind to it to allow it to heal and settle down.

Doesn't it feel great to have all the pre-surgery anxiety gone.

Do keep us up-to-date with how things go.

• Welcome to the other side !! I agree with the others push that button !! Take it easy and sleep. There will be plenty of time for walking !!
  • Wow John, thats amazing. But don't be too over zealous too soon. I'm 5 weeks postop with same surgery and can honestly say that I have never been in so much pain in my entire life when I immediately came home. But everyone is different and its exciting to hear that someone is experiencing this rather well. Good luck to you. It sounds like you'll do well.