Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

living alone after PLIF

LisaRachelLLisaRachel Posts: 286
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Can you guys give me some advise on what to accept after I get home from the hospital. Will I be able to put my own socks on or bath myself? I'm 5.0 feet and weigh 125lbs they call me little one.. ;)

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Try to get some help. At least for a couple of days. And then someone to check in on you at least once a day. On the top of this page there is a blue search box. Type in Post op must haves. And click on that. Then click on the first one on the top. And read the entire thread.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thanks Jim. I will have someone here for the first 2 weeks. How do you not bend for 3 months??
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Type that, post op must haves, In the blue search box at the top of this page. Please read that thread.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm relieved to hear that you'll have someone with you for two weeks. It's really helpful if not necessary. After my TLIF, I had my MIL for two weeks and that was my life-saver, as was my hubby when I had the bad days that I couldn't walk on my own and needed help just to get to the bathroom and my chair.

Will you be wearing a brace? If so, that will help you remember and keep you from bending. However, I started PT after 6 weeks and I could bend then, so it's probably not going to be 3 months that you can't bend. But you'll have to be careful for many months. If you won't have a brace, then it's a matter of remembering and I imagine that pain will help you with that part.

After my TLIF, the first two weeks were the worst. I couldn't do much and my hubby helped me with my showers. I was able to put on my socks because the PT guy in the hospital showed me how to bend at your hips, not your waist. But having grabbers handy can help and it really is the time to let people take care of you. Take advantage of any help you can get.

This is a tough surgery with a long recovery, so be prepared. Measure your recovery by weeks, not by days, and it'll go by quicker than you'd imagine. If you're prepared with all your "tools", then you'll be ready to be home and work on recovery.

Take care Lisa and feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do to help you.

• Hi Lisa,

I couldn't put on my own socks for the first couple of weeks after my PLIF, but I'm now at 3 weeks and putting on my own socks. It's a matter of getting my knees to bend enough to cross my knees, then being careful to bend forward at the hips to reach my toes to get that sock started. If you're going to have someone with you for the first two weeks, by all means let them put your socks on!

I'm not sure where you got the idea of not bending for 3 months, unless that's what you've been told by your doctor. I was sent home with the admonition to be careful of bending and twisting, but I've not been given a time frame for that. I'm in a rigid brace for my active times during the day and that prevents me from accidentally bending improperly. I'm trying hard to use my legs to squat down, then bend forward at the hips if I need to pick up something. Much of the time, though, I use my very handy grabber--don't know what I'd do without it! :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled