Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pains waking me up early morning !! 11 days post op !!

JaniebabyJJaniebaby Posts: 93
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I keep getting woken up by shooting and tingling pains in both legs in the morning !! It does take a while before they go , I would say about an hour. Is this normal ?? I'm guessing its my legs getting the feelings back after my nerves being trapped !!just wanted to know if it was good or bad !! Thanks !!!

• I am 8 weeks post-op PLIF,removal of discsL4,L5
    Sorry to hear about your leg pain, I have had the same exact symptoms, although primarily involving my R leg and my orthopedic surgeon explained that it is due in part to the nerves re-firing,which is close to what u thought it was..I have woken up and my R Foot is completely numb too which disappears rather quickly once I am up & about. Since it is actually waking u up,disrupting your sleep,you can always put a call in to your doctor if it continues to be bothersome.
    Hope you feel better~ Julie
  • I also had problems with severe nerve pain in my legs after my TLIF. There was about a week where I had to use a walker and a few times where I'd wake up in pain in the middle of the night, tried to get to the bathroom and couldn't make it. I'd have to wake up my hubby to help me to the bathroom then downstairs to my recliner because I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep with such pain.

I've heard this from a lot of people and it's probably a normal occurance. You're still very early out from major spine surgery and there's a lot of recovery issues that happen in the first couple of months.

With that said, it's never a bad idea to call your surgeon and let them know what's happening and let them know about your concern. It might make you feel better emotionally about what's happening during recovery.

Take care and hang in there. The recovery is a long and difficult one, but it does get better with time.

Take care,
  • Hi Janie,

I'm 3 weeks post-op 2-level PLIF and am currently on Lyrica for nerve pain in my right leg which is the side that had the L5 nerve root trapped for several years. I don't get shooting pains, just a nasty ache in my shinbone and/or numbness/pain from my waist all the way down to my foot. I called my surgeon about it and he ordered a CT scan which showed everything to be normal, no broken bones. If you're in distress there's no reason to suffer silently. Your surgeon will want to know about this pain and he will be able to help you get through it.

Sending healing thoughts and gentle hugs!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • hiya janie
    miss ya in chat and didnt get chance to tell you good luck.. wow that is some pic of your scare ....
    always good to call your surgeron...
    i was blessed with a great surgeron who called me back asap unless in surgery..
    I paged him for the exact same thing cause altho he said may happen scared me alot ...
    i only had l4,l5 fusion...i was woken with the leg issues.....and mine last many hours after woke and yes he assured me was fine....
    everyone is different...i was on flexeril and restoril at nite and sure helped me stay into nice sleep so that nerves in legs stuff didn't wake me...
    hope things get easier for you and pls dont hesitate to call and ask your surgeon...
    chat soon i hope
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • My last lumbar surgery was in 2005 and I still get waken by leg and hip pain. It resolves after being up for about an hour. NS told me it is normal based on nerve damage I have. I just figure it is a part of my "new norm". Doubt this helps any, but it's the reality for many of us.

• Thanks for all your replies !! Funnily enough I have hip pain too !! I'm hoping it will because its cos its early days yet !! It does seem to go on during the day which is hampering my walking efforts !! I'm due to start PT on tuesday so will ask them for any tips !! For those that know me on FB , I posted a pic of my wound on there !! Pm me if you would like to be added xx