Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BAD Pain day.......

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi everyone.......today is a very BAD PAIN day!!! I had to sit through a 4 hour class yesterday on some reall really bad chairs!!! My fingers and hands kept going numb.....then had to work and go get groceries and OMG I hurt today!!!1

My arms feel so weak...I have the shakes and I barely slept last night!! My whole torso hurts way bad!!

I can usually hide my pain from my Hubby and daughter but not this time!!!!! ~X( :''(

I am off to lay on my heating pad...already took my pain pill but I just dont think thats going to help......:(:(

Thank you for letting me rant...I want to scream!!!!

• Oh Polly, I'm so sorry you're in such pain today! It sounds like yesterday was a great aggravation to the problem. Is there no way to avoid having to do those things that make you hurt? I sat through a 2-hour board meeting a week and a half after my recent PLIF (yes, I could have skipped the meeting and afterwards wished I HAD skipped it!) It didn't take me long to realize I was going to hurt big time from sitting on the chair I had so I got up and went to the back of the room with a different chair. I was able to stand and pace back and forth a bit and alternate with sitting down for as long as was comfortable, Surely, there is something like that you might do for such a long class. I don't recall if you teach or are a student but there must be accommodations for people with medical problems.

Scream all you want to, by the way. We're here to listenand hopefully help a little. Have said a prayer for you and am sending healing thoughts your way, my friend!

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Oh Polly >:D<

I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could do for you. If I was your home town neighbor I would tell you to go to bed and I would bring your family dinner tonight O:) But since I can't I have some suggestions about getting your head in the rigth place during a flare.

Do you have a tens unit? If you can have some one help you get the electrodes on the rights spots. Some times I pretend that I am at a special PT where I lay face first (get comfortable with pillows or what have you). Get the heating pad and something kind of heavy (I use the large ice gel packs frome the freezer for my iceing just wrap in a pillow case). Have you helper put the heating pad on your worst place (on top of your electrodes)Make sure there is a pillow case on the heating pad and turn it about med/high. Then lay the heavy gel onto top of it. Now turn off the lights, turn on some relaxing music adn relax for 30 minutes.

You can turn the tens up (I have an EMPI)or down while you are laying there relaxing.

Try to feel better,

• Oh Linda, I wish there would have been some way to get out of it!!! I manage the Mobile home park that we live in and the owner of the management company had 3 of us go to a "Fair Housing Act" Class and they only had one kind of chair....solid metal with no cusion....:(. I asked if I could get up and stand periodically and they said that it would be too distracting for the other people and that everyone would want to get up!!

I am thinking to myself....who else in this room has a back like "OURS"???

So I had to go to this class and it really really messed me up....I am miserable today....oh it feels like someone has a bih knife in my back, right between my shoulder blades....and that someone is standing on my chest...hurts to breathe!!

WOW how I hate to hurt like this!!!!
  • Hey my friend, I wish I had a TENS unit.....Oh how I wish!!! That does sound very good!!

Thank you so much for the "offering to bring dinner..." you made me feel better just with that comment!!

If I didnt have you guys to talk to I dont know what I would do right now!!! It is cold here today and I know thats not going to help....
  • I, too, am so sorry to hear about the terrible pain you are in. As Linda mentioned, scream all you want to us. We understand!

What Julie mentioned is part of what I was going to suggest.

Since you don't have a TENS unit, do you have Lidoderm patches? Those can provide a little bit of relief while you are laying down. Have your helper apply them to the most painful areas and if they don't adhere well, get some of that sticky medical tape to help keep them in place. You can use three at a time, 12 hours on - 12 hours off.

Swaddle yourself in hot moist heat for 20 minutes throughout the day. Don't have your heating pad on while doing this. My hubby runs hot water from the tub faucet and wrings out large towels and then wraps me with them. (Also use these around my lumbar area and hips). We put down a clear plastic shower curtain for me to lay on, while I'm swaddled in the hot/warm moist heat. It feels awesome.

There is a thoracic support pillow/cushion you can purchase at CVS. I take it with me everywhere and use it when sitting at the dinner table. It really helps keep pressure off the thoracic area while sitting and you can adjust it up or down. It's just a blue covered foam "thoracic" cushion.

ThermaCare heating patches can be applied all over during your work day and let me tell you... those suckers last a good 12 hours in releasing heat to wherever you apply them.

Rest, heat, take your meds and try to just close your eyes and zone out. Do you have any muscle relaxers? I have found these to be REALLY important with my thoracic area. Can you take anti-inflammatories? Those also help.

Wishing you less pain, Polly.

Keep us posted, k?

Tammy >:D<
  • Next time tell them that it is just too bad if the other people are distracted. They can deal with that issue because you are taking care of yourself.
    I was wondering...there is one woman in my son's office who suffers from back issues. She has one of those obus form chair seats that she takes to all meetings and says it helps her a lot. Would that work for you?
  • Hello Tammy.....I am going to pick up some of the heat patches.....no muscle relaxers for me...my soma puts me to sleep and I have to work today:(.....I will try the moist heat when I get home...I took me a super hot shower and that felt great till I got out...

I really really appreciate all the suggestions!! I am trying to locate a store that sells TENS units...keep your fingers crossed!!

• Hey Beaver, I am doing a search for those now......it does look very comfy and yes next time I will tell them that!!! I only work part time so I dont get health insurance or WC or anything like that!! It is very frustrating!!

On a side note a friend of the families wife and kids got into a BAD car accident....the 2 young boys are beat up but the little girl might need surgery on her face and the mom will more than likely need back surgery!! I am so sad right now....OMG....please pray for them...I will kepp you all updated on their situation.....
  • After reading this thread, thought I would jump in. As to the chairs and THEM telling you "no you can't get up, it's too distracting," ridiculous!! Next time you tell them "look I have spine issues, and therefore I will need to get up from time to time. If that is a problem, it isn't a problem for me! I will sit in the back, and do what *I* need to do." PERIOD! And don't tell them you have a bad back, because "everyone" knows a bad back isn't that bad...right? You have spine issues - most see that in a different light.

I have what is called a "BackJoy", and its a light little device that you place on the seat, sit on it and scoot back - it puts your hips in a good position, and as such aligns your spine a lot, and helps. You can do a search for them, they fortunately aren't that expensive. Unless you're a minor, never let someone dictate to you with your medical issues that you can't get up when needed. Sorry, that jerk who said that to you hit a raw nerve!!

As to the pain you're in today - there ya go! I can't really add much as great advice was already given. I can only add maybe some gentle stretches. I hope you are feeling better soon. Gentle support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Oh Brenda, I can always count on you to make me smile....I like the "Spine Issues"!! That is what I will start saying from now on!!! I will look that up and see if I can find one!!

UPDATE: Our friends wife broke 5 of her verterea(SP?) in the accident last night, she was ejected from the car. She is in the middle of about a 10 hour surgery to repair her spine! Thank goodness that she is very athletic and in great shape so we are all hoping for the best!!!
  • Polly,

Think about the phrase "I have a bad back", and what comes to mind? Okay, since you have had surgery, you'll see it as a spiney. Try it as though you didn't have spine issues. There ya go, "Joe guy has back pain." Big difference on something that is acute vs the chronic life we are in. See? Since my spine was operated on, and my body forever changed, I have spine issues. Muscle spasms don't damage the spine, disks, spurs etc., can and do. Spine issues. Then if the guy gives you crap, you tell him outright (and embarrass him if you can), I've had surgery on my spine, how about you? Okay...rambling.

I hope your friends wife fairs well. 5 broken due to impact trauma, what comes to mind there is... How is her spinal cord? Fingers crossed. Heck of a way to join the spiney club!!

• Polly, by the time you read this I hope you're feeling some better. What a miserable day you've had!

I didn't know until right now that anybody can buy a TENS unit. I see that some of them are ultrasound units, some are TENS units, and some are a deep TENS kind of stimulation. I would buy one for my mid-back pain if I thought it would help. Have some kind of issue going on there for years and now I'm finding that wearing this back brace is causing that mid-back pain to flare up as soon as I take the brace off. Would only be able to use it when my hubby was at home, though, since I wouldn't be able to apply the pads.

I hope your friend comes out of surgery without loss of ability in any area. It will be too soon to know a lot about how well she will do.

Take care of yourself and take it easy this week-end! And next time somebody tells you that you can't stand up and walk around--well, I say don't even ask them first, just get up and do what you need to do and if they say something, then you can hit them with the "spine issues". ;)

Sending gentle hugs...

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Polly,

Sending good vibes to your friend. We know that her life will be changed forever no matter how good of shape she is in >:D<

PS/ check Ebay for the tens unit.

• I've just sent you guys a PM with a site for TENS/EMS and too a belt you can use without assistance Linda. I hope it helps - I'm using mine now.. :)

• I feel so bad for you for having to go through that and hurting so bad the next day. What that person said was just "so rude". I wish all of us could get together with a roll of duct tape and tape her to one of those hard metal chairs for about 18 hrs and see how she feels. (I know revenge gets you no where but it sounded like a good idea)
    I hope you are feeling better soon and as many posted before me if you can find one of those pillows it might help for future meetings. Anything to ease the pain. I hope you start feeling better real soon.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • Just take it easy and let your body rest. Don't push yourself to be hyperactive, let your body tell u when it's ready to be energetic again.
  • I feel your pain....Sitting for me, is my number one pain trigger. One thing that was emphasized in my chronic pain management course, was " Pacing".
    You really have to make an effort not to over exert yourself. I know it's hard, we all have to live life....but you know certain things are going to ruin you for a long time. I'm pretty sure sitting in a class for 4 hours is a big no-no for you!
    Good luck Polly..