Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain 6 weeks postop PLIF

Mishy1MMishy1 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I'm new to this so I hope this is posted. I'm five weeks postop L4-S1 PLIF, wearing a brace, unable to drive and still having severe lower back pain down through legs if laying on my back too long. I also can't lay on either sides. I end up in my recliner every night because it is the most comfortable for me. When I had my surgery they also discovered a large mass of intertwined blood vessels wrapped around my dura constricting blood circulation and spinal fluid but now everything is decompressed. Is this pain I'm experiencing common?

• Welcome to the Spine-Health support forum! You've come to the right place for information and moral support.

You said 6 weeks post-op in the title to your post and then 5 weeks in your post. Whichever it is, I would think you shouldn't be in this much pain at this point. Having said that, it must be kept in mind that everyone is different. I am 3 weeks post-op 2-level PLIF and feeling very good. In fact, I'm thinking of skipping my next dose of Vicodin and see how I feel. I will say I'm having some trouble with nerve pain down the leg that was most affected before the surgery and am on 300 mg of Lyrica for that. I expect that is caused by all the messing around and work that was done at that level. There is bound to be some swelling making things tight in there. Like you, I am also in a brace whenever I'm "out and about".

Have you contacted your surgeon about this pain you're in? It sounds like your pain medication is inadequate to cover your pain or possibly you would do well with a nerve medication added, such as Lyrica or Neurontin. These medications target nerve pain directly. That is what happened to me. I had to have Lyrica added to my other medications (Vicodin for pain and Robaxin for muscle relaxer). Your surgeon doesn't want you hurting badly, it adversely affects your recovery. I would call the office and let them know how miserable you are.

You're here in a great place for support and I expect you'll have a number of other spineys jumping in here to give you a much-needed but gentle hug. Let me be the first... >:D<

Please let us know how things go for you. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Hi, I am new to this forum myself, so hello. Just wanted to encourage you to talk to your doctor like the other person suggested. For some reason, I was not truly relaying to my doctor the full extent of pain I was enduring, it was very unwise as I became very discouraged emotionally due to pain. Also, hope you are asking friends or family for help, both physical and emotionally. It isn't easy, yet we cannot go through this alone, we need help. Hope you are able to talk to your doctor. Take care :)