Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

The light at the end of my tunnel was a train!

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Recovering from Surgery
How can things be going so good and then *wham*!?

18 days since my ACDF and someone is using a corkscrew on my muscles AGAIN. Nothing will help and believe me I've tried it all. I keep telling myself this is normal...funny how that really doesn't make me feel any better though.

I was going to call my surgeon and ask for some muscle relaxers but I knew it would be a waste of my time. I know he wouldn't give me anything good now when he sent me home with so little after surgery.

I keep telling myself to keep moving...that'll help with these muscles...well they evidently ain't listening darn it. Why am I telling you all this? I don't know...maybe I'm just looking for sympathy. I can't say any of this at home because I'd here the "I told you so" that I've been trying to avoid. Whenever any of them ask me how I am I say I'm great. Then I think what am I gonna do if this keeps up?? I don't know how long I can hide it...

Debbie
advertisement

Comments

• Howdy Debbie,

Sorry to hear you're hitting a rough patch. A lot was done in there woman, try and give it time and patience. Hiding what is going on from your husband is probably also adding to your stress, and is a negative for healing. So he says "I told you so", so what? You can reply with educating *him* in that with the trauma a surgery causes, causes changes and adjustments to your spine, muscles etc., so days like this will happen from time to time. :)

I hope you get some relief. Try alternating heat and ice, gentle rubbing like massage, gentle stretching, and too walk a bit and see if that helps. Hoping you feel better soon. *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My vote is to call the surgeon and ask for the muscle relaxers, so what if he tells you know, but if you don't try you will never know for sure. Having muscles spams at this stage of the game is rather common. It might also be that he would put you on a medrol dose pak to help some possible inflammation down. Your not doing anything wrong by asking for a simple muscle relaxer and getting the spasms under control might be all it takes. Also you might want to check into get a message, of course don't let them touch your neck but it may help on the shoulders.

Now on the "i told you so", If i had a nickel for every time someone said that to me, well I know I could be sitting in a nice warm place right now sucking on a nice fufu drink.
  • advertisement
  • Debbie,

What's this "I told you so" business? Did they tell you not to have neck surgery because you'd be complaining of it hurting all the time, or something? You should NOT have pussyfoot around your family pretending to feel "great" when you're probably near tears. I guess I don't understand the dynamics in your family, but you have my sympathy.

If I were you, I'd try calling your surgeon's office and asking for a strong muscle relaxer because you're in misery. If they won't give it to you, at least you tried. You'll never know unless you try.

I'm sending healing thoughts your direction and hope you have a tolerable week-end!
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks for reading my whiney post.

I've been walking daily because it really helps with the stiffness. I've also been using the lidoderm patches, icy hot rub, heat, ice, and flexeril.

I know that this is fairly common and I did tell my husband that we could expect this. It's just that after the grief he gave me about having this surgery I don't want to complain now you know?

I broke down and called my surgeons office today and someone was supposed to call me back but the office closed 2 1/2 hours ago and no call. Ah well...

I'm sure this will pass. Yep, I'm an impatient patient. lol. It's just that I've been so good...taking care to not cause stuff like this. As far as my pre-op pain, so far it's gone. Yippee! I guess having these muscle spasms start again is just scary.

Thanks for listening. It helps having everyone here at SH who understands.

Debbie
    I explained in my reply to Brenda about the Drs office failing to return my call. Hope it's not a terribly long weekend...hopefully it'll let up soon.

I was feeling really discouraged when I posted this today. I know I shouldn't post when I feel that way. I would much rather have positive posts so others contemplating the surgery will feel hope you know? Still, I think the surgery was successful in taking care of a lot of my problems. I know I'm just to impatient sometimes.

Thanks for all your help and advice. How are you doing now? Oh yeah, can I join you having that drink??

Debbie
  • advertisement
    Thanks.

My family had a hard time with my decision to have the surgery but they've really been good to me since then. All of that was a long story. lol.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll be okay. Just doing a little grumbling today. If it gets unbearable over the weekend I'll call the on call physician...or go to urgent care. Hopefully it'll ease up before then though.

Take care,
    Debbie
  • When I couldn't get any help say on a weekend or holiday, I would find some semblance of relief with moist heat.

Hope they ease soon.

"C"
    I'm sitting here now with the heating pad on my neck muscles and an ice pack on my upper chest! These spasms (or whatever) feel like someone is stabbing me clear through! I feel sore all through my shoulders and chest.

I've tried to think of what I may have done to bring this on and I hate to admit it but I think I've figured it out. (I'm afraid to say because some of my friends on here may come find me and smack me!)I've been doing my housework (my son vacuums for me)and it doesn't bother me but...I mopped the kitchen and bathrooms yesterday. It was one of those "hit and miss" kind of jobs and I was careful not to strain my neck...or thought I was. Guess I won't try that again for a while.

Well now that I've figured it out...still hurts. lol.

Take care and thanks again.
    Debbie
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    He (or she) who screams the loudest, gets heard! I think flexeril IS a muscle relaxer. If it is, tell him it's not working and to give you something else.
    I haven't had any cervical work done. But I have had a lot of surgeries. And I've learned If something is not working for me and I'm in pain I call! And if they are closed, tell the switch board operator to have someone call you in a prescription! Someone is on call. If no one get right back to you. Then call again, and again, and again till someone calls a prescription in to your pharmacy.
    If you don't make yourself HEARD then they will think everything is alright. Ask and ye shall receive. And he who bitches the loudest will be taken care of!
    And tell your family that the surgeon said, there will be good days and there will be bad days. And this is a bad day! ~X(
    Don't lay down and take it! Be your own advocate. X(
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Oh, boy, those muscle spasms can be a real bear. I know how much they hurt and how annoying they can be on top of that. Just yesterday I was having horrible spasms at the bottom left of my lumbar where my hardware is - it would just shoot pain then go away for a couple of seconds then shoot again, nonstop all day.

As far as meds, what I did when I started having more spasms recently and I no longer had any valium (just bottomless flexeril refills), I called my surgeon's PA, as he's much more understanding than my surgeon. I left a message telling him that I was going to have my pharmacy fax him a refill because I was having some major bouts of spasms, not all the time, but some bouts that were really nasty and I wanted to have them available for those times. I told him that if he had a problem refilling them to call me and we'd talk about it. He never called, just refilled. When he sees that I don't use them up in the minimum time allowed and even have weeks left on the prescription, he's well aware that I'm not taking them even as much as prescribed, therefore not abusing them.

So what I'm suggesting is that might be something to try, if you ever did have a muscle relaxer that helped and can have your pharmacy just fax for a refill approval. Then leave a message for your doc and tell them why you've done this. Any surgeon should understand the major muscle spasms that we spineys go through. I'd say that's probably the biggest ongoing problem.

But, being the weekend, calling the doc-on-call or urgent care is a good idea to get through the next couple of days. And like "C" said, moist heat helps.

Don't worry about "whining", as you say. I don't call it whining, I call it reaching out for some understanding from those that can. My guess is that hubby would understand if you told him as anybody would guess that there's a healing period after surgery that includes pain and such, but I also understand that you don't really want to dip your toe in that water, just in case it's too cold.

We're here for ya, my friend. Keep on posting and be sure to keep us updated on how you feel and what steps you take. We can all relate.

Cathie
advertisement