Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Soooo painful

SARAH2233SSARAH2233 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:47 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
this morning I have totally, utterly, done my back in. I was just about to sit down - on the loo as it happens! - and I felt this terrible pain. I couldn't stand up, walk or even get downstairs for a long time. I have quite bad degeneration of the L4 and 5 vertebrae according to xrays and these excruciating spasms have happened three times now over the past five weeks. I walk a lot as I don't have a car but when I've walked for about 40 minutes my back and buttock begin to hurt. Could someone please advise me what sort of exercises strengthen the back please at my age? Does pilates help?? Thank you for ANY reply, really need someone of similar age who knows what I'm talking about.....Thank you so muich. PS: I am 68 and would ideally like advice from someone of similar age on here who knows exactly what I'm talking about. That's if there actually is anyone my age of course!!

• I am 50 and also have L4/L5 to Si joint problems, and deal with these spasms often.

At the point you're at, you might want to consider having some trigger point injections done to try and relieve the spasms; Once they get that strong, I find it's very difficult to "break" that pain cycle.

Something that helps with the butt and hip tightness, if you find it refers to that, too, is good forward lunges, and for the low back pull your knees to chest several times during the day.

I hope you get some relief before this gets out of hand any further...I sympathize with you!
  • swimming helps ..i am trying to get fitter for my ALIF fusion .so i am swimming to help the core muscles and at your age i would say its the safest and easiest way to keep fit and help with your back pain ..you could also try a TENS machine and if you want to go the whole nine yards a recliner and electrical adjustable bed will also help! if in serious pain then see your doctor for pain killers and to exclude any other health issues i am 44 but have had 15 years of very bad pain to draw from .and two operations hope that you are feeling better

• SARAH2233,
    My doctor just told me that a strong stomach = a strong back. I remember when I was younger I carried something heavy for a 10 hour shift. I ended up having a 6 pack abs from it and I am female. So perhaps ypou could carry something in each hane for balancing weight, while out wlkin?Other than that, there are exercices you can do called core exercises that are designed to build the strength of the stomach and the back together. They are easy on the body and any PT can show you how to do them.
    I guess the #1 thing I am trying to get across is the point that a strong stomach muscle group will lead you toward a strong back.
    Ask your doctor. You will have to be shown by a PT (physical therapist) how to do the core exercises.
    Take care.
    Feel free to pm me if you want to.
    Good luck and warm wishes
  • Oh, I just remembered...
    I just got a double sided pillowtop mattress instead of my old mattress. That was the BEST investmennt I could have made for myself ever! On the 1st day I forgot to take most of my meds. Each day it has been like that. At this rate I will be healing so much I might not need a doctor (fingers crossed) LOL I already have a promise from my best friend to literally "kick me in the as*" when she sees me next. I bought it off craigslist and it was in a guest room. Brand new. 14" of a cloud I swear. I have more energy, I sleep through the night, I get things done. If I am sore, I rest for fewer minutes before I feel the pain easing away. Mine was $75. So, look and you will find. Not everything is in bad shape. Mine was meant for me. I think every doctor should insist that "anybody with a bad back" get a "GREAT" mattress.
    Take care:-)
  • Hi just saying a big thank you to all who hasve replied. Hope this is the way to say thank you on here as I'm not very computer literate!!
  • I am 48 work in medical and have VERY similar problems I have had 3 epidural cortisone shots and they have helped a lot. I still work and have to take pain pills to make it thru my shift. Not a whole lot to be done with the L5 problems from what my doc and anesthesiologist say but bike riding and swimming are the least invasive. The person suggesting lunges must not have the same kind of pain if I were to lunge I would have to be hospitalized.If you can get a resistance band from a local chiropractor you can try to strengthen your mid back it helps. I feel your pain literally.