Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restless legs as a symptom?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have no idea where to put this, and since the basic diagnosis of my fracture and the cause of the pressure on the thecal sac is "moderate spinal stenosis at L2, mild at L1" I'll post it here.

I have very few neuropathy symptoms. Slight weakness in my left leg, transitory numbness in the foot and outside calf, "pins and needles". But lately I have been having troublesome "jumpy" feelings and odd restless legs.

The oddest thing about the restless legs is that if I press on one of the numb or sore areas, it will activate the restless leg feelings.

Does this sound familiar to any neuropathy sufferers? I'm not sure how to describe the symptom to my doctor next week, I want to make sure to explain it correctly.

• I would describe it to your doc exactly how you just described it here.

• Howdy HBmom,

Since our levels are similar, I might be able to help? I don't have "restless leg syndrome", as mine is from the Neuropathy. At any rate, with mine when I get this pulsing/twitching feeling in the front of my thighs about midway. On occasion I get jumpy reactions from my legs (fore and aft or up and down - but not to the side at all). Unlike RLS, I get it more in the sitting position more than anything else, and almost never when laying down or sleeping.

When sitting if it gets really twitchy (kind of an internal deep in my front thigh) feeling start, I gently on the fronts of my feet bounce the feet lightly up and down. Kind of like "little" runs while sitting, but only with the front portion of my feet. It seems to settle it down for me. I just tried pushing, pinching the front of my thighs, and it doesn't change anything for me - sorry can't reply to that part. Not much help, but you asked... *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks. I just assumed it was due to one of the many meds I was on, but recently started thinking it might not be. I am also pretty sure my pinky toe is partially paralyzed. Or... you know how you can spread your toes out? Sometimes I can do that with my left foot, and sometimes I can't. So. That's my big weakness, LOL! (I laugh, but to tell you the truth my balance is awkward). It's just like the outside part of my foot does not work correctly.
  • New symptom maybe? Out of curiosity I tried to spread my toes - NOPE! Now my right foot, if I point it, I can spread them, any other position, no spread. Left foot no spread regardless of position. I guess I should wonder if something changed on me? Hummm...

If it helps the puzzle a bit HB, I walk with a limp now as my left foot points straight forward to a little inward (no pain). Going up my RV steps, my right leg (guessing thigh here) doesn't come up enough sometimes, and I have fallen. The toes I don't get, but the lazy leg I do...L2/3 nerves.

• Almost forgot. Feeling wise. I gave my feet and toes a complete "feel", and don't note any numbness. Not sure it that helps or not.

• I'd like to say "Yay, I'm normal!" But normal compared to you, um... well... yeah ;)

So I see the neuro next week, I'll let you know what he says. Most of my numbness is up the outside of the left foot.
  • What? I'm not normal cuz I 'copped a feel' with my tooties? (G) Joking aside, yes please let me know if that is an issue. I will add this (my no spreaders) to my symptoms paper for my doctor. Yeah, no numbness on mine, they just won't fan or spread. I guess things could be worse, so since they still work. Life is good! :)

:? Brenda
  • I had L5-S1 issues before and still can't barely spread my toes on my left foot. Lots of muscle jumping, fasciculations but no sudden jumps of my leg. I would mention it to your Dr. Hope it eases up for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • help with puzzle, i was left with not being able to fan toes out and have no reflexes on sole of foot.
    this was from damage to L4-L5 which happened 20 yrs ago
    so i think its the L5 nerve

hope this helps