Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trying a physiatrist

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Chronic Pain
i saw two pm drs last mo and it didn't go well with them.so now im going to see a physiatrist tuesday.my question is do they also make you sign a pain contract? after reading on here about a physiatrist for pm i thought maybe this is for me.when i told my neruo i was going to see him he said they don't do scs and would better off if i would just see a pmd.
advertisement

Comments

• I think your neuro is correct. The physiatrist that I saw did not do implants, injections (other than trigger pt) and did not write scripts for narcotics. He was basically a physical therapy junkie in that he gave very specific directions for the PT. He prescribed Voltaren which is a topical analgesic similar to BenGay.

Overall a very low key guy. His focus is getting your body in better shape with the hope that your pain will decrease and therefore your need for pain meds will decrease.

If you need a PM doc don't give up. It is a very personal relationship and can take a few trys to find the right one.
  • Most of the doctors who prescribe pain meds make you sign a contract. I like the idea of the pain contract.

I saw a physiatrist once. I was not very impressed. he pushed accupunture and breathing techniques. I am not saying these are bad things but it was not what I was looking for.
  • Hi there,

I just thought I would mention that my physiatrist prescribes all of my meds, including opioids. He has a partner who is an anesthesiologist/ PM doc, and he is the one who does all of the injections and other interventional stuff. I have a separate chiropractor, massage therapist, and physical therapist, and when I started see this doctor I made it clear that I would like to stick with those practioners, as needed. So, he is the general contractor, so to speak, and he would order whatever treatments or meds are needed. Otherwise, he would subcontract the injections, PT, Chiro, massage, etc.

Best wishes,
    Dave
  • Hi,

I'm not sure if a physiatrist very, but the way it sounds they do. I have had 2 physiatrists, since my back issue in 2000. I have had pain contracts with them for strong narcotics. The ones I've had have done all their own tests, ESI, caudal epidurals, nerve blocks, pain pumps, and SCS. They've done it all for me. I never needed to see a neurologist, or a pain dr.
    Bobbi Jo
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.