Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just need some suport

Tami123TTami123 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Not sure if I am using this thing right but here it goes....I have been told 4 times that I need surgery to fix the problem and the problem will probably keep getting worse..my mri says I have multilevel disk degeneration and spondylotic changes
my five lower disk are proturding, but mri says I have no herniantion.it says I have degenerative disk desiccation seen throughout the lumbar spine with sparing at l5 and s1
the mri states I have no neural impingement. the surgeons say I have a grade 1 spondylolthisis 5 over S 1, I have been having proplems since 2002 I do good for awile then I have these flare ups. had one in 2002 2008 and now...my flare ups cause me to walk with a limp and burning pain and with this new flare up alot of numbness when walking and had numbness in my saddle area, ( that has seems to be getting better)I have pain off and on between these flare ups. I can bend with no pain. but the walking gets to me hip seems to be out or I feel crooked, now my question is..... should I have the surgery? this thing has got better in the past so mybe it will again. The dr. did tell me to find another job. I do housekeeping in a hospital. I know that is hard on my back. but cleaning is all I have ever done...not sure what else I can do. the numbness has got me worried it goes clear to my foot, I am scared to death of the surgery. I went to the classed they had b4 surgery and that scared me to death! I just dont want to rush into surgery.but then I dont want to get worse where this thing cant be fixed either. just want to get some input on all this what other ppl think. Thanks

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. surgery can be a very scary thing for most people.. coming to SH and asking questions and getting them answered may relieve some of your fear! have you been given any other options other than surgery?? stop by the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your proposed surgery..you certainly have alot to think about when it comes to having to change your job.. i hope a new door opens up for you!! good luck to you.. stop by anytime!!i can't give you any information on your MRI, that is best left to your doctor.. Jenny :)
  • to Spine Health.
    You have joined a great place to get inforamtion and support for a difficult journey.

I certainly found that learning about spinal issues and what surgery entailed and hearing how people coped with the recovery (the good stories and the bad ones), helped me to prepare myself to face it. In the event, it wasn't as bad as I had feared and I am recovering well from my lumbar fusion.

I still have issues in my neck and mid back, but I am learning about treatment for those areas too, and hopefully I will manage to deal with them without resorting to surgery this time.

Being really scared of spinal surgery is very normal, and if you will ask any questions you have, people will share their stories, and hopefully you will start to feel less scared.