Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

inversion table- too soon for one with 5 months post surgery?

kflee0kkflee0 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone,

I am 5 months post surgery(laminectomy/discectomy at L4/5). I found that if I sit for too long(2-3 hours), it cause real discomfort on my lower back, and sometimes aggravate tingling pain in both legs. Plan to go back to work but don't know how to manage desk job sitting for 8 hours a day???????? Done some research and people with DDD claim that using inversion table for 5 minutes,2-3 times a day does help relieve back stress and leg pain. Feel so tempted to give it a try but not sure if it's good idea for one with only 5 months post surgery???????I wonder if anyone here had any experience with this equipment and can share your opinion????

• I'll show my ignorance here and say I don't even know what an 'inversion table' is - it sounds like torture to me.

If you are going back to work, can you request an occupational health workplace assessment to be carried out? An assessor could identify any equipment or furniture you may require to support your return to work. In the UK we have agencies like 'Access to Work' and if you meet their criteria, they will not only do a comprehensive professional assessment, but will pay towards the cost so your employer doesn't have to foot the whole bill.

Perhaps you could request an ergonomic chair with good lumbar support and one which allows your bottom to be higher than your knees. The trouble is, there are so many on the market, but a professional occupational health assessor should be able to recommend a model that is suitable for your height and weight as well as the measurements from your shoulder to your butt, from your butt to your knees, and from your knees to your feet. It gets quite technical. I had an amazing chair provided through this agency 5 years ago (I took it with me in my last 3 jobs and now use it at home), but it cost nearly £600 then - if you work for a very small company, this cost may not be feasible for them.

It's just a thought.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • There is also a device that you put in your chair and sit on called Back Joy, it really helps.

I returned to work about 14 weeks after my fusion and had a 3 day training confrence that I had to attend. This really helped me to be able to attend. Bed, bath and beyound carries it and it can also be found online.

Wishing you the best!