Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not good news from my surgeon

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Today was my appointment to go over my MRI for my back with my surgeon. The l4 and l5 are collapsed and bone on bone. There is a large osteophyte that is compressing the sciatic nerve, I have tried injections and physical therapy with no improvements. The doctor wants to do a fusion with cage,plate and rods. In the last year I have had 2 surgeries 8 months apart on my cervical spine both anterior and posterior with rods, plates and cage. Is there anyone here that has had both cervical fusion and lumbar fusion? If so how did it turn out? Im concerned about how I daily struggle with my neck after the surgeries and cant imagine how I would be with both areas of my spine fused. I have told my surgeon that I needed to think about this before I commit to the surgery,Is there anyone here who has had good results?

• I had the PLIF first. L4-S1 the summer of 2008. Then this March I had C5-7 ACDF.

The PLIF was much harder to heal from but I was back to work at 11 weeks. I came back 8 weeks after the ACDF only to be in a car accident.

Either way I believe my low back is 90% better than before this started. I would do it again.

My issues in the T-spine are cauing me so many issues that mimic the arm problems I had previous to the neck fusion, also my legs are joining the picture but my NS still says my fusions are very good.

It's probably not going to get any easier, but at least you wont have the sciatic pain 24/7. You will be weak, but you will have to rest more, maybe that will be good for your neck too? Maybe not, but maybe you neck needs 4-6 weeks of bed rest while your lumbar fusion is setting?

Can you get a second opinion or do you feel 100% safe with your surgeon?

Feel better,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    It sounds like a lumbar fusion may help you given the shape it's all in now. Lumbar surgery is harder to recover from than neck surgery especially when you may have an a cervical ACDF which involves far less post surgical pain (as no muscles are dissected to get to the anterior cervical spine.)

Will he be doing the fusion solely from the back or will it also involve an abdominal or side incision? Mine involved a side incision so they could put spacers between the vertebrae to recreate normal anatomy and normal lordosis.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos