Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Been having pubic bone pain...

TTLCTTTLC Posts: 876
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Chronic Pain
It's kind of embarassing, but I want to ask if anyone else has experienced this?

I was reading through some 2008 Spine-health members postings that mention this, but they are now named as "anonymous". One person had taken a hard fall, some had SI Joint problems like I do, one had hip bursitis like me, etc. There was never any diagnoses made with these members... so I thought I would just toss this subject out to you guys.

What I feel during an episode is stabbing pain on the entire right side of my pubic bone. It's the "double you over" kind of pain. I just took a Neurontin and a Percocet to see if that will help ease the pain.

I have had these episodes every now and then, but today it is lasting longer than usual. For the ladies... if you have ever had any painful ovarian cysts, that's what this feels like... in my right side of my pubic bone. (As a side note, I had a hysterectomy about 8 years ago and they kept my right ovary).

Would appreciate any input.

I am taking it easy, getting ready to take another round of meds and will probably take a nap.

Wishing everyone less pain and thank you, in advance, for any input.

Tammy
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Tammy! Sorry to hear you're experiencing more pain, ugh!! I have si joint problems, too, I don't experience pain really, but I do get a buzzing sensation right at the front bottom of the pubic bone, like something is vibrating inside my body (but not THAT kind lol). Weird, eh? I do get a sharp stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen area, but never associated it with anything related to this kind of pain, but now I'm going to ask about it. Thanks for bringing up the subject! Hope you feel better and this subsides quickly for you!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I have had that pain and found nothing to help it but time. I tend to get pain around my pubic bone and lower abdomen when I have a uti. Just a thought but that is the only thing I've ever been able to contribute it to. Though my pubic bone and hip bones are very tender because of back problems. I would do the normal heat or ice to see if that eases it any but other than that I don't have much advice. I hope it starts feeling better soon
  • Sorry to hear you're having that pain. I've had stabbing pains on my left pelvic bone where my left leg is affected but it usually doesn't last long and comes and goes and have only experienced it a few times. I hope it eases up for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Although I don't want you to experience this pain, your input has helped.

I am using my infrared heating pad on my lower abdominal area right now and it is helping. I also took my regularly scheduled dose of pain meds, nerve med, arthritis med and muscle relaxers. I think it will feel better after my nap.

I will watch for any UTI symptoms Ezra. You never know with those and I do have a history with UTI's, bladder infections and kidney stones.

Thank you again... Kelly >:D< , Ezra >:D< and Charry >:D< .

Will keep you posted and let me know what your doc says Kelly, when you inquire. I will do the same when I see mine on Nov 9th.

Tammy
  • We called my PM doctor to give her a "heads up" on what I am feeling, as now my incision scar from my hysterectomy is hurting and my SI joint areas are also in pain.

She wants me to see my PCP tomorrow for a urinalysis and possibly an ultra sound to check for adhesions on that scar?

I see him tomorrow at 10:00am.

Geeze... I need a break. It's one thing after another and I know a lot of you feel the same.

Tammy :(
  • I don't have anything to add except that I'm glad you're going to your doctor and I always hate to see you having yet another issue happening.

That danged tree house...I hope you burned it.

(I know this might not be related, but it wouldn't seem so bad if you didn't have all the other problems, I think.)

Take care of yourself and please, please keep us posted.

Cathie
  • I hope they figure it out tomorrow and it is something simple, lord knows all of us here have more than enough problems without adding to them. Just keep up with the heat and hopefully that will keep you decently comfortable until then.
  • Can I ask why you had a hysterectomy? If it was endometriosis (sp), that can continue after the surgery, it can start growing on other parts of your body. My friend had that happen to her colon. I hope it's something simple and you feel better soon.

When I had mine seven years ago I did not have an incision, so when they were reattaching everything they reattached to the front. If I am going to the bathroom, and sneeze or cough, or move just the wrong way OMG. For a couple of seconds it is really bad.
  • Wow, Tammy, I hope everything is okay!! I'm glad you're getting in to see your doc quickly. Let us know how it goes and what she thinks!! I was going to say I see mine next Monday, so I'll let you know what mine says as well. Feel better!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I do get these type of pains as well. Mine is dead center of pubic bone though. The only thing that helps my pain is to lay down with my feet/legs up in the air.

I was told years ago when this started my hips "act up" and the relocates ( moves ) my pubic bone.

Not sure if this is correct info or not.. but it does make some sense to me - some ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Oh Tammy...I am so sorry to hear this honey!! And yes it always seems that way...if its not one thing its something else!!! I also get pains in this area and also around my belly button...stupid isnt it??:)

Please let us know what the Dr says ok??
  • I have that off and on. My doctor thinks it has something to do with the RA. She says often times for whatever reason, certain people get that, and also these wierd little (I call them chill blades) like shocks of nerve pain in their fingers and toes, but it is more related to arthritis. I'm sure that wasn't a lot of help, but I think I know what you are talking about anyway :) The celebrex seems to help keep it at bay..
  • I thank you all... for giving me your input and sharing with me. It helps so much! :*

I went to my PCP appointment yesterday. He did a thorough exam on my lower pelvic area, my scar and my pubic bone. He was able to mimic the pain on my pubic bone by pressing on the area and also pressing on a muscle on the most inner part of my right leg. He told me I pulled that muscle and chances are, I do have arthritis in the pubic bone. I showed him the stretches and exercises I do each day and he told me to lay off the right side for a week or two, to let that muscle calm down. When I get the stabbing pains, I'm to keep doing what I do. Apply heat, take a break-thru pain pill and a muscle relaxer.

I went to do a urinalysis. Had my little cup in hand and placed it down on the sink and emptied my bladder. I went to wash my hands and realized I didn't fill the cup! LOL! I tried to empty my bladder again and a little bit did come out. My urine looks great, from the little bit they had to go by. LOL! What a dingbat I am! Geeze! I really had to "go" when we got to the office. So, I guess I was concentrating more on relieving myself and forgot about the little cup.

Thank you all again... you guys are absolutely awesome and I love each and everyone one of you! :X

I wish you all less pain today and will be catching up on posts (as usual) throughout the day.

Hugs,

Tammy >:D<
  • Hi Tammy,

Each and every one of us loves YOU, too! You're always giving of yourself to others, supporting them with your loving concern.

So sorry that you're now having this new kind of pain. Has anybody investigated the possibility of radiculopathy from your sacroiliac nerves? (S1-S3) They can cause pubic bone pain and the way you describe it as being on one side only makes me think it's the nerve at that level that is being irritated or pinched, etc.

Have you seen this interactive dermatome map that someone posted again here a few days ago? It is the single BEST dermatome map I've ever found. If you haven't seen it before, check it out--click on the SI joints, then click on the "anterior view" button to the right of the model and it will turn over so you can see the front.

http://www.manateechiropractic.com/interactive_spine/s1_anterior.htm

Sending healing thoughts and hugs! image
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • You are such a "Love Bug"! >:D<

What you shared here, is highly possible. I know my upcoming visit with my main PM doctor is Xray/scan time for me. My PM doctors are doing their very best to figure out all that is going on with me and I actually do have two pinched nerves that were diagnosed... let's see... in May 2010. (I can't remember which nerves off hand, but I'll dig through my records. I'm out in the family room with my heating pad wrapped around me. I'm so comfy that I don't want to move yet... lol).

Thank you for sharing this link. I'm going to study it some more. I feel I still have a lot to learn. At first I studied the thoracic area intensely, as I thought that was the only area I had problems with. Ever since January of this year, all heck has broke loose from the waist down. It amazes me with how detailed and involved our spines are! It seriously takes a lot of viewing and reading to understand it all. I'm still in shock that I have hardware in my spine. I mean, I've always considered spine surgery or injuries... very rare and very serious. I don't have any family members with spine issues, other than RA and OA. So, whatever information you come across... please send it my way! I want to learn and know what's going on.

Sending healing thoughts and hugs right back to you...

Tammy :*
  • Hope what you are trying is the right direction for you and this helps :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • The more I have been looking at the dermatome chart and comparing that with my symptoms, I think it's possible this could be related to either my SI joint problems or the SI nerves. Thanks again for sharing that, inchworm. >:D<

I looked through my records and was diagnosed with having fibular and femoral nerve tension in June. During PT, they were doing all sorts of stretches and exercises with me, to try and help me with all the pain I have from my waist down to my feet. I had zero reflexes in my knees, but my left knee has it's reflex back as of my last PM visit.

I continue to do my daily exercises and stretches and hope to get back to PT in January. They (PT) dismissed me in August, as I wasn't making any progress on their assessment tests. I did, however, learn a lot of good stretches to do for my IT bands and I do have better circulation and flexibility. My feet were all discolored when I started PT again in April, and my toes turned purple after sitting still for like 3-4 minutes. That also has greatly improved.

How is your daughter MsHumpty? I sometimes think about her, the baby and your family. O:)

Wishing less pain to you all,

Tammy
  • I am so sorry for missing this post of yours! I would have responded to your question, much sooner than now.

The reason for my hysterectomy was related to giving birth to my daughter Nikki. When it came time for me to push, they noticed Nikki must have had the cord wrapped around her and after my third push... my uterus totally burst! I was rushed to the OR for a C-section and I had quite a lot of bleeding. My doctor told me he could repair my uterus, but I may have some painful periods or heavy bleeding. He also told me he could take my uterus out at that time. Well, when you just have given birth... the idea of having my uterus taken out was not something I wanted at all... lol! So, he did a lot of repair work and he was right. I suffered with painful periods for 2 years with heavy bleeding after having Nikki, so it was time to have my uterus taken out.

I only have one ovary left, my right one, to help with the hormones. I had my left ovary removed when I was 20, due to a grapefruit sized tumor attached to the thing! That's when I found out I was allergic to demerol. They were giving me demerol through my IV and my tongue started swelling and so did my throat. They gave me the meds to counteract the reaction and switched me to some other pain killer.

I often wonder about scar tissue from my incision. They used the same incision from my left ovary removal for my C-section and my hysterectomy. My pelvic area does get sharp pains and aches, but I usually chalk it up to this other crap... lol! But, I honestly do experience what you describe when you sometimes sneeze, cough, etc. I will feel VERY sharp pains in my lower pelvic area... I have to either sit or stand real still for a few minutes until they die off.

Thanks for asking and for sharing. I appreciate it!

Tammy :)
  • Wow Tammy, I've never heard of a uterus bursting before. Good thing your Dr was on top of it. My Dr managed to miss both of my boys being born. I can relate to the heavy periods and pain. That's what I had for a couple of years. I was in my early 20's so they weren't looking for a tumor, which is what it turned out to be.

• Thanks for your kind comments, but YOU are the "Love Bug" my dear--you're unfailingly kind and supportive of everyone in need and hardly ever ask help for yourself. Am glad the dermatome map has been of some value. It is the very best one I've seen online, and I've searched for these maps for a long time.

I'm not hoping your SI is the source of your pubic bone pain but it certainly sounded suspicious to me when you said the pain was only on one side. That rang a bell for me. Anyway, will be interested to know what it actually turns out to be, and more importantly, what they're going to do about it so you're no longer in pain!

Sending gentle hugs to you, Tammy...image
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Just read this "T".. How awful for you! I bet that was a scary time, just having a baby and going thru all that – what a whopper of a recovery I’ll bet! How is your pubic pain now? Any better at all? Guess I should scroll down, you may have already said 
  • Well Tammy I will just say a short healing prayer for you and keep my fingers crossed!! Please keep us updated Honey!!!
  • Tammy you are so kind :D Things were rough ( as you know ) but she is under a decent PM Dr, not as great as we would hope but she is not longer alone. The little guy whose nickname is chunky monkey is SUPER great and about 9 months old now and very healthy :)

I too found that "chart" very helpful and educational -Thanks inchworm :)

Tammy, can you be adjusted by a chiropractor for this pain? That usually helps mine.

• I was wondering what type of stretches or exercise are helping with your feet? Mine are just awful and I have tried a few things my PM suggested but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot. They don't hurt, I can't feel them, but I have problems with the balls of my feet swelling and being discolored. My doctor said it had to do with neuropathy I believe, and to try some different things to keep circulation strong, etc. I live on a farm, so I do dumb things, like step on something that cuts the bottom of the ball of my foot, or step on a puncture weed and part of it stays in there, but I can't feel it until it swells and gets infected - then I have to soak it, or get the puncture weed out, whatever. The swelling seems to be there in the mornings; I can tell its hard to walk on the balls, but then it gets better throughout the day. I just wondered what exactly seems to help yours? Thanks & I HOPE you get this new issue figured out and addressed soon! It stinks to already have a bunch of issues and have some new oddball thing pop up into the mix isn't it. Too bad we can't just trade these tired old bodies in on newer, better versions!!! Someday I suppose :) Take care buddy - Marion
  • I really appreciate the prayer and well wishes. >:D<

I promise to keep you all informed, as time goes by.

Wishing you less pain,

Tammy
  • Great news about your daughter and your darling "chunky monkey". :)

About the chiropractor... you know, I am very paranoid about who touches my spine. I am only comfortable with the group of physicians I have and the PT group, as well. I DO appreciate your idea and suggestion, though. I am always open to that! :)

Wishing you a good night sleep,

Tammy

• I would be happy to share what exercises I do for my feet circulation. I wanted to mention that the balls of my feet haven't been a problem with swelling or discoloration, instead, they get HOT and numb during the night. That only happens when I wake up and I'm laying on my back with my knees bent and my feet are flat on the bed. The discoloration on my feet is visible all along the sides of my feet, my toes and about 1 1/2 inches out from my toes and side of my feet... on the top of my feet.

Here are the three exercises I do to improve circulation in my feet:

1. Ankle/foot alphabet. While sitting, using your ankle and foot only, trace the letters of the alphabet from A-Z with your feet. (Just like how you would trace letters with your fingers on paper or in the air). You do one set of these with your foot elevated and another set with your foot on the ground. Only do one foot at a time, then switch to the other foot. I am allowed to repeat this exercise 1-2 times per setting and I do these twice a day.

2. Ankle/foot toe curling. Place a regular sized towel on the floor and with both feet resting on the towel, slowly bunch up the towel by curling your toes. I generally start with my feet place about 4 inches from the bottom of the towel. Try to get all toes involved when doing your scrunching. If you are having any pain when doing this, try to go as gently as possible. Just getting those toes a moving really has helped my circulation. If it hurts - stop.

3. Ankle/foot pumps. With both legs elevated on your wedge (or stacked up sleeping pillows), gently flex and extend your ankle. Have your feet very relaxed and just stretch one upwards towards the ceiling and then down again. You can do these alternately or together.

I also do some ankle rotations when laying down.

Hope these might help you. It took a couple of sessions for me to start noticing improvement, but once I started noticing improvement... it continues to get better as long as I stick with these exercises.

Take good care, my friend.

Tammy :)
  • I just found out I have degenerative arthritis in my pubis bone. And here I though it was my ovaries. I just started therapy because I also have it in my hips and lower back. Even the therapist said it's unusual to have arthritis in this area.
  • The treehouse is gone, gone, gone.

Nikki couldn't look at it, after my fall, so my dad and Mike tore it down.

Thank you for all of your ongoing well wishes... I do appreciate them and you, as well.

Tammy >:D<
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. :)

I am sorry to hear about all of your arthritis and can sympathize with you. I hope your therapy gives you some welcomed relief.

Do you take any kind of arthritis medication? I was prescribed Etodolac a few months ago and it has REALLY helped my Osteoarthritis.

I have yet to get my pelvic CT done, due to a switch in my ER medications. I hope to have this done in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for your post and again, best wishes on getting some relief.

Tammy
advertisement