Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i think i might have already found a PM doctor

chronic sufferchronic suffer Posts: 115
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Chronic Pain
i think i might have already found a PM doctor and this time i am not taking no pain meds from anyone but from this doctor i learned my leason the hard way with the one that droped me yeturday and i went to the dentist how ever you spell it and the dentist told me i had every right to go to the er on friday night because i have a awful infection in my gum where the tooth that is hurting and he said its so bad he can not pulled it or anything in till thurday and he is even sending me to a surgeon to have it remove maybe by sugery because he told me if he pulled it today that it could kill me the infection is so bad he said the tooth is also chiped or some of it has broken off he told me no wonder i am hurting so bad the doctor he is sending me to is a oral & maxillofacial surgery doctor he also put me on more stronger meds for the infection and gave me some more lortabs but a stronger dose i have then what the PM doctor was giving me and when i went to get it filled the pharmacy they gave me a hard time because they said i should still have 3 days with of pain meds still from the PM doctor that droped me
advertisement

Comments

• I haven't read what happened with your other PM doctor that dropped you... but wanted to wish you luck when you go to the oral surgeon. Abcesses make you feel miserable and you will feel much better when you have that tooth taken care of.

When do you see your new PM doctor?

Wishing you less pain,

Tammy
  • The more important thing for your own health is that you start taking your medications exactly as directed.
  • I have to say honestly when I had a tooth infection that needed work done they gave me the antibiotics but I certainly don't remember any pain meds what so ever to deal with it. Once after a root canal the doctor gave me something to deal with the pain was 5 pills is all. The idea is those meds should only be used for the condition they are prescribed for and nothing else.

If you have a tooth infection that is still active I don't think two days worth of antibiotics is going to take enough of the infection away for them to be able to mess with it. Trust me I let someone do a root canal with a infection and seen stars as novacaine won't pass through a infection. So if it is deep seated in the jaw it is going to take more than two days to break the infection.
  • happyHBmom said:
    The more important thing for your own health is that you start taking your medications exactly as directed.
    And keep them locked up and hidden away. My suggestion would be to buy a daily med counter, count your meds for the day and keep them in that, and put the rest away where they're safe. Please, take care to follow your prescriptions and doctors orders and contracts to the "T", as I'm sure you might have found out, you won't receive much sympathy here if you continue not to.

Take care of that infection, it's true, they can be deadly. I ended up in ICU in septic shock the day after having my wisdom teeth removed, and they didn't even think I would make it through the night (but thankfully, I did :) ). It happened very fast, so if you do have any problems, like fever, throwing up and/or passing out, get back to the ER immediately. I'm glad that you're getting the proper dental care you need.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • are you thinking the dentist will be your new pm dr? That is kind of how I took your post.
    I have had many many teeth problems. Infections like you wouldn't believe and several extractions. I had the dentist call my PM dr and the PM dr handled upping my dose of meds and only for a short time.
    Once the dentist has referred you to the oral surgeon he will be done with you for the issue you are now dealing with.
    Perhaps I have missed something in your post please let me know.
    Jan
  • When I've had abcess I've had to wait a week before they would work it. However the antibiotics started helping withen 24 hours (pain decreasing). My dentist told me that the best thing for infection pain was Advil, since the pain comes from swelling.
  • You said you think you've found a new PM doctor. Is it someone else in your town who specializes in pain management? You only mentioned your dentist--surely you're not expecting him to be your permanent PM doc.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled

• Linda, this is why I love Ya! Just two sentences...
  • i did get a safe for my pain meds :D
  • i don't know yet my reg doctor is going to have to send me there
  • When do you see your new PM? I wish you the best for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • and no i don't think the dentist is going to be my pm doctor
  • I agree with Tamtam that it usually takes a week of antibiotics to treat the infection before the dentist will work on the tooth. But remember, if you've had surgery with hardware, you need to take antibiotics before and after any work by a dentist - for the rest of your life you'll have to do this.

My dentist was one of those that prescribed vicodin in large doses when I had tooth problems, although this was long before my spine problems. He was very, uh, generous (for lack of a better word) with pain meds. They're out there.

CP, good luck with your new PM. Keep us posted.
  • Thank you for the info!
    I did'nt know that. Now i'm glad i had several teeth pulled 2 years ago.
  • A 100% thing, I am packing hardware and I have asked about the antibiotic. I have all my dental work done at a teaching institution.

I have asked several times and they tell me that they do not like to prescribe antibiotics on a regular basis due to building up tolerances etc,

They only prescribe when there is a history of infection surrounding the hardware placement and for certain other reasons they did not go into detail about.

• Seriously, some of you sound like the women I work with. Give her a break. I just had all my uppers pulled for a denture. My dentist DID prescribe antibiotics, and when I had an abscessed tooth the week before while he was on vacation, the emergency dentist I saw also prescribed some and they were the WRONG type according to my regular dentist when I saw him after he’d gotten back. Dentists and doctors do screw up sometimes – it happens. My dentist ALWAYS prescribes pain meds for any teeth issues in regards to pain, which I let me PM doctor know about and she either changes my dose, or tells me to go ahead and get filled what he gives me. I think you all should just let this dog lay now and offer some support. Some of these comments are no different than the stuff I hear at work every single day. Come on already – enough is enough. What if it’s all true, and what if she has had a damn rough go of it? Who are we to judge anyone? Is that why we are here? Not me… I don't think she said anything about expecting her dentist to be her new doctor - man people - this sounds exactly like work!
  • Chronic, I really hope you find a new PMD that will help you and make you more comfortable!!!!

Sending healing and supportive thoughts your way!!!!
  • Mouse-You are a good soul.

It can be so difficult sometimes to remain objective and non-judgemental.I try very hard,or I used to try,until I started thinking another way and it was less of an effort and came naturally.But sometimes,every once in a while I just say _____ __!!,and I find myself thinking something that even if I don't want to well......there it is.

Now I know chronic suffer from another forum and I did not post to her exact threads there because I had nothing nice to add.I feel that what the OP wants is compassion and understanding,but I have lost two brothers to drug addiction and cannot condone enabeling,which in this case is what I would feel like if I offer that type of support.

CS,after having read all of your posts both here and elsewhere I find myself wondering if you are perhaps sharing your medication with your husband.Please forgive me for bringing this up and if this is not the case I honestly beg your forgiveness.If this is the case I hope you know that you can find support and answers for this common problem.
    I mean no disrespect.
  • I am sorry, I'm still having trouble with the fact that you've had 8 PM doctors and still hadn't figured out that you're not allowed to get meds from the emergency room.

Yes, mouse it could all be true, but then what does it mean? If you've been through that many PM doctors, if you're still not figuring out, where does that leave you? Still not knowing where your meds are going?

So let's assume this is all completely true. CS, are you going to be completely truthful with the new PM regarding your pain management history?
  • no i don't share my meds with my husband and i forgive you but i think i may have counted my meds wrong and throught i had more then i did
  • Another good trick, is to ask your pharmacist when your next refill or prescription is due, they will tell you, and you can mark the date on your calendar.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • yes i am going to be trueful with my new PM doctor and the other 8 PM doctors i went to they would not help me and treated me like i was a drug seeker so i so i stoped going to them and yeah i know you and everyone here has went through the same thing and the other PM doctor did not have me sign a paper saying i would not get any other meds wrong any other doctor is this better to understand know for you? i hope it is you can ask me anything else if you don't understand i think my reg doctor will help me with my pain till i get to the new PM doctor she knows what i am going through with the chronic pain
  • CS I feel like we are not doing anything to help you. This site is for people with spine problems. Maybe if you tell us what your spine issues are we might be able to help.

There are alot of people with many years of experience in spine problems. So please tell us what happened to affect your spine, what diagnosis you have received and what the doctors have said. Maybe if we focus on the purpose of this forum we can help you.
  • Yes, I would like to know as well. I have asked 3x now and I get " I have many problems" ?
  • CS, What are you looking for here on this site? I have not seen you ask any questions just complaining of things that don't make sence to a lot of people, out of 50 posts there is one person saying she understands. I'm getting frustrated with these posts now! I have a serious spine problem do you? I have a lot of pain today but I'm not going to the ER for meds I'm on this site trying to gain knowledge from these amazing people that can understand what I'm going through. Please stop wasting there time!
    Lisa
  • chronic suffer,

I'll add my question, as well. What kind of spine issues do you have that we can help you deal with? Please be specific, otherwise there is little we can offer. Also, please add what kinds of tests you've had done and their results. Thanks.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Wow, I have been a lurker here for a long time but I have to say i am a little taken aback by the judgement I see flying around. Now you are basically saying show us all your MRI's,injections, nerve blocks, discectomy's, and fusions or she's not welcome? They call these support groups for a reason and even when things don't seem to add up precisely the way certain people want them to, it might help to remember the golden rule. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be spoken to the way some here have.

CS, I hope you get all set up with your new pain doc and good luck tomorrow!!
  • Well, if 8 pain management doctors wouldn't help you, despite knowing what your medical issues were, and you just kept going to doctors asking for pain medications, that's called "doctor shopping." That is yet another mark on your record :(

It is part of the rules for pain management doctors that they not treat people with long-term narcotics unless they have *diagnosed* conditions that require the treatment. Now, you've described a few back issues, but no diagnosis- that is a huge issue. Just hurting isn't enough to qualify for pain management. You have to hurt and you have to have a diagnosis.

Remember, 80% of people will have back pain in their lifetimes. Not all of those people can be on long-term narcotic treatment! That is reserved for only severe issues and severe pain.

What exact diagnosis are you being treated for, pain-wise?
  • Chrissy this is a spine health forum. We try to offer help and support to other with similar problems. If you read the welcome post it asks that you introduce yourself and describe what you have going on.

We can't offer any help to CS unless we have an idea of what she has going on. All I have seen from her are posts about medications; lost, stolen, mis counted, etc.

Check out her new thread that explains what she has going on. We are all here to offer help. Just need an idea of what kind of help.
  • You said on that other website I know you from that you DID have to sign a pain contract with the other PM doctor and then proceeded to make many excuses as to why you didn't know what was in that contract you signed but THEN said you knew what you were doing was against the rules of your pain management doctor but you "just didn't think about it." Oh the tangled web you've weaved... 'Round and 'round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.