Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LisaRachelLLisaRachel Posts: 286
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
What do you guys think of this? I'm on 45mg 3x a day of long acting morphine and 5mg morphine short acting for break threw. Do you think thats a lot of pain killers for one person? I still have pain with this! Perks were better for pain but not for my mood. Any feedback would be great..

• I have been on a multitude of meds. Starting from Tyl 1's to the Fent 75 patch. I have been scripted with Tricyclics and others that hit nerve pain, and some of the better meds for Fibro. All have an effect, but it really needs to be determined what the pain source is. Without that, nothing else makes sense.

Narco meds - are great for what I have.

The dosage of anything, is in concert with what your Dr figures is the level, to provide adequate analgesia. If it is inadequate, he is the one who should be chatted with. There are times when I have felt that the level was lower, to an order of magnitude - of the discomfort I feel, but at every juncture, with my Dr, I have asked to not be increased, on the Narc side yet. We have worked at providing additional - non Narc meds, that have a synergistic effect on the felt discomfort. They seem to allow me to enjoy a better level of movement, than just upping the Narcs.

I remain - on just 2 meds, because I have had so many side effects, that really did me a lot of harm, from the standpoint of increasing my level of comfort. One med - had "severe backpain" as its primary side effect. Trust me - I was not amused when I read the monogram and gave my Dr a copy, after quitting it.

Morp is it - and for me it works well. When it does not - I have increased my activity level far past what I should be doing. I have lived with this for many years and know to decrease my activity, in concert to how I feel, as the day goes on.

The daily amount of meds you have, is significant.

If it is not addressing the issue, your Dr should know, because the source of pain-discomfort could be something that is affected much better, by another class of medications.
  • Thanks for your reply. I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow. I feel the dose I'm on is significant. My pain is bone not nerves that might change after my fusion L1-L3 in Dec. I guess I just want my life back. I'm glad the morphine works well for you.

• I have tried fentanyl and morphine. I decided to go back to fentanyl. But honestly, I think it depends what works for you.

I was taking 30 mg 3x a day and Norco (hydrocodone 10 mg) 3x a day, so your dose doesn't sound so much higher. I also take Topamax for nerve pain.
  • Lisa - Yes - I have a lot of bone issues. Been almost 30 years now. No - they cannot do surgery, cause it is all degenerative.

I can certainly appreciate the comment about wishing to have our lives back. But let me spin my vision for a second.

I was just over 20, when this started. I was told for 20 years, that there was nothing wrong with me, except when I was doing something, I would lose all ability to move, drop on the ground, face first, and have to get myself home or to ER if the pain was bad enough.

I have broken bones, and gone for days without getting it checked, because I have pain to such a level all of the time. I did not know I was hurt.

I had to get to a point, on the mental side - with this question. "What happens to me, if THIS IS THE BEST THAT IT GETS - FOREVER!"

With that as a thought, I have LIVED each day, paying close attention to minor things that allow me to enjoy life. There are a host of things that need to be considered, to improve my outlook. I am not someone who just looks for a pill to make me better. There are many things that can help, but it is certainly individual, in experience and what works.

My hope for you - is to be inquisitive and look for those things that help you, on a daily basis.

Barring that, I truly hope that you find a solution and walk away from the discomfort.