Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 bulging discs nerve damage in L4S1

Matt GreebMMatt Greeb Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
im a 27 yr old male who has been experiencing pain now for a little over a year . started with the aches and pains of doing hard grunt work labor for the past 12 years . stuff i could shrug off with a pint or two and still go home and do everything i had to do . walk the dogs , vacuum etc.

i guess i joined this forum out of desperation , a pressure system is rolling through now and i can feel everybit of my injury right through my opiates.

the nerve damage has only recently been found so they tried lyrica for that along with norco 10mg (which i find to work better on me more so then any oxycodone product of equal mg)
i get about 40% relief from the norco and none from the lyrica.

i have had 3 epidural injections , put under woke up and felt like $1,000,000 for a day or two .i guess thats when the local wore off and im back to square one.

so i guess im looking for suggestions to go to my pain doctor with for either future surgeries or medication.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great articles and videos on this site and the forums are a great place for support, encouragement and others' experiences.

I'm one of those people that likes to get at the root of the problem. So I'm a bit confused - you've obviously had an MRI and someone is doing injections, which is one of the conservative measures done before surgery is suggested (not that you necessarily need surgery).

Have you taken your MRIs and injection results to a spine surgeon and talked about your options? Talking with your PM is only to manage the pain, not to fix what's wrong.

So I'd suggest finding a fellowship-trained spine surgeon, either ortho or neuro, but one who only works on spines. Take all your test results to them and find a course of action to address the issue at its base.

In our FAQ section, you can find links to questions to ask your surgeon, as well as other links that will help you with what to ask and do when talking with your surgeon and/or doctor.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • Matt Welcome to Spine-Health.....I like Cath am wondering if you have been to a spine dr??

Please let us know and welcome again!!
  • my PM doc is a surgeon as well and we have nerve burnings on the table , another doc suggested a back discography . My current doc suggested against it since i dont have really signifacnt bulging . seems to be more nerve.
  • That's good, Matt, that you're PM is a surgeon. That takes care of one problem.

If one of your injections was a diagnostic nerve block test and it made you feel better, then I understand why they want to do a rhizotomy (nerve burn). That might be just what you need. I've known it to work for quite a few people, so I hope it works for you.

I also understand not wanting to subject you to a discography if they don't think that the disc is a problem. That's a pretty painful procedure and if they don't suspect it's a problem, then they wouldn't want to put you through that.

I also only had a disc bulge at L4/5, my problems all stemmed from stenosis, facet joint problems and spondylolisthesis. I never had a discography because like you, my problems were all nerve and stability issues.

Again, you'll find some good questions to ask your surgeon/doctor in our FAQ section.

Take care and keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.