Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Urinary hesitancy

ezraeezra Posts: 72
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Does anyone have experience with this. Here is the background info.
A few months ago while on gabapatin (sp) I was having a very hard time starting a stream and keeping it going. We stopped the gab. and started lyrica, it seemed to get better. We did this because i thought it was the medication, a month later my pcm tells me he never thought it was the medication but didnt tell me what he thought it was. So it is better for a while and all is good.

I have recently started having the same problem again. They tested me for UTI today and everything was clear. I'm having all kinds of pain in my pelvic area as well as my stomach. I don't know if the pain and peeing issues are part of the stomach hurting issues or my back problems. There are additional things going on but they are a litle tmi so I will leave that out for now. If anyone thinks they can relate and wants to know the extras I will post them if asked

They are doing an abdominal CT on Friday to try to find out what is going on and waiting on blood results. In the mean time if it gets worse with fever or vomiting I'm supposed to go to the ER.

But what I was wondering was has anyone had this problem with peeing. My pcm told me it was most likely a UTI or an issue with my back. So now that we have ruled out bladder infection I'm just stuck here wondering what is going on, and trying to see if any of this seems familiar to anyone.

I know no one is a Drband can tell me what it is, I'm just looking for general ideas or experiences.


  • Ezra,

    I have the issues with trying to keep a steady stream - can't. I also have (leaks) if I sneeze, cough, laugh etc. Now with me, my GP is going to have me get checked to include a full GYN follow up. Now the big difference with mine vs yours, I don't have any pain issues. I just can't "feel" if I have emptied or not, and most times I have to push as though I was doing a bowel movement to empty it all.

    I hope you find out soon what is going on, and they can help you. From what my GP told me, "pain" is something they don't play with, and try to find out what's going on as soon as they can. I so hope you have answers soon. Gentle *HUG*

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

  • I don't really have the same bladder problems that you have been having but I can certainly sympathise with having undiagnosed symptoms and needing to have various tests to try to find out what the problem is.

    I ended up in ER about a month ago, with severe abdominal pain, which I thought was due to my thoracic problems. At the ER they said I had a UTI, but later said I didn't. My GP suspected an infected Gall Bladder and ordered blood tests, urine tests and abdominal ultrasound scan of my upper and lower abdomen. The urine test showed an infection, the blood tests did show problems with my liver and pancreas function. These tests were repeated a week later, when the levels had returned to within normal levels. I am still waiting for the ultrasound scans. Meanwhile, my pain has almost gone and I am feeling much better. That is good, but I worry about having a return of that awful pain!

    This does all get very trying; so many possible diagnoses, but never a certain conclusion.

    I hope that they manage to discover and treat your problem soon. :-)
  • He came home with a urinary tract infection and was put on antibiotics. That cleared up BUT it never felt quite right when he urinated. He also had problems with constipation and went to our GP after having a horrendous pain attack which was above the incision and to the right. After having an xray, doctor said he was constipated but also appeared to have kidney stones. This was something really new for him but,the surgeon's assistant could see no sign of them when he saw him for the post-op visit. Two weeks later and just before he was due to see our GP about the kidney stones, he had another horrendous attack with pain beginning in the back and going around the front into the groin area. We went to ER and he was passing a very large stone and had to have surgery as it was stuck. I guess what I am saying in a long winded way is that the kidney stones were causing much of his discomfort and the feeling that he was not completely emptying his bladder. He is much better now although they are going to do a biopsy just to be on the safe side. And yes, he is super sensitive now that he knows what kidney stones are like. I did research them and some are formed after an infection.
  • My PM told me that my pain meds were causing my urinary problems. He said it was a side effect, and the only resolution was to lower my meds. We decided to leave the dose alone because I can live with the urinary problem, but cannot handle my level of pain with less meds. On a side note, I had to be recathered in the hospital after my fusion, because I could not empty my bladder myself. I do not remember having any problems before my surgery, but have had problems ever since.

  • I have been having Soooo many issues, Erza. Lot of pelvic,low abdominal pain, urgency, false pees, frequency issues out of control, even leaking! Not to mention EXTREME bloating, I look 4-5 months pregnant!

    I can't sleep due to pain, from surgery (back & legs) plus bladder, abdomen, entire pelvis region and intestines.

    I feel for you honey! Really I do, looks like your taking good steps and being proactive In your care, which is good, you have to advocate for yourself.

    Here is a link I recently posted, maybe its helpful for you.


    I did have the urodynamic test. Been DX with a few issues, but no where near done. On some meds. Next week ultrasound belly & pelvis, then I hope CT of abdomen - please pm me if you like. I will be happy to let you know what I've gone through and learned over the last 3 weeks.

    When I posted thus topic, I had a Super nice, intelligent member guide me through a lot, she knows who she is .. I thank her from the bottom if ny heart!

    Good luck, you are not alone.

    Oh on the med issue causing problems, this can be true. My meds are the same as prior to surgery, so for me, I don't believe it to be the case. The only difference is the amount of oxy has increased post op, as pain is 7-8 constant. I did a little experiment, I CUT OUT one pill for two days & then two pills for two days, (my rx calls for 30 mg every 4 hours, so needless to say this was torture!) there was NO DIFFERENCE for me with the urine, pain, pelvic issue. All it did was rock my world with pain, had extra lidoderm patches, and lived on the heating pad for 4 days in agony! So much so I had to go get two shots today of depomedrol/lydocaine in both butt checks to see if I can un lock the severe spasms I caused myself.

    Good luck
  • The CT scan is the place the start. One thing I would work on is time voiding and monitoring the amount you take in versus your out put. I would assume that once they have the results of the CT scan and depending on the results will more than likely refer you out to a urologist for a full work up. There are medications that can also cause this issue. Not sure what your taking, but look at the side effects of your medications and see it it is a known side effect to them.

    Keep us posted on what the test results are.
  • Following bilateral decompression surgery L3 to S1, I had the same problem and had to self catheter for 8 weeks or so. It was not a great experience due to the fact that even using the most sterile approach, I still managed to get a bladder infection that took some time to clear up. My surgeon told me after the surgery, that it is not unusual to have this kind of problem after lower lumbar surgery and most times things normalize. It seems that the nerve system in the Lower Lumbar is connected to the area that controls the waterworks and the bowels. In the end I had to resort to "Flomax" after visiting a Urologist and that really helped. I am now no longer using a Catheter thanks to Flomax however, I have since tried to eliminate the Flomax but it looks like I am going to be on it forever.
    It seems to work well but really has become a permanent medication. The thing is that taking Flomax beats the Catheter any day.


  • Thank you all. I'm sorry to hear this problem seems to be pretty normal and hope you all can find relief. It drives me crazy to feel like I need to pee and not be able to do it.

    For meds I'm on percocet 10mg every 4 hours, lyrica 2 twice a day, ibuprofen every 6 hours and prilosec, I have no idea if I spelled that right. There have been no med changes in about three or four months and that was changing to the lyrica. I've had this problem before and after med change so I guess I should just look at them all. I know I've read the side affects of them all but can't remember this far out.

    Don't know if any of these things can cause it but in the past year I've tried 3 ESI's, facet injection, and SI injection. I'm also nearly done with acupuncture. I've tried pt but I highly doubt that has anything to do with the pee situation. So no surgery has been done yet though we are talking about fusion.

    If we can't find a problem with the abdominal and pelvic ct I'll ask about flomax.

    My PCM also wants to do a obgyn work up but that is waiting until after the ct. I love my PCM for the reason that she has been with me since the start of my back, she ordered the first MRI and has been kept in the loop with my pmd. But the reason I say this in here is she told be we could do the ultrasound but said it would probably come back fine and we'd end up getting the ct anyways so she just skipped the ultrasound to save time and money.

    Thank you Virginia. I may do just that. It's always nice to have someone with you in these things though I hate that you have to deal with it too. I will most defiantly look at that link in a little bit.

    I think I have one more question, does anyone know what passing a stone would feel like? The reason I ask is last night while trying to use the bathroom my stomach started hurting so bad I was doubled over crying because of the pain. After I peed the pain was less intense but still there. I had no pain from my urethra so I'm assuming I didn't, but I know next to nothing about kidney stones so I figured I would ask even though I don't think that was the problem.

    Thank you all for sharing your experiences and giving advice, I really appreciate it. I don't remember who recommend keeping a log but I think I may do just that.
  • His first attack lasted about half an hour. He was in terrible pain originating above and to the right of the incision. The second attack started with a pain running from back to front. He had this for several days but thought he had pulled a groin muscle. Then it came on quickly, he felt like he had to urinate but also thought he might throw up, the pain went from back down to groin and he could not get comfortable no matter what position he was in. A friend, who is prone to kidney stones, says he wants to go off into the woods and scream because it is so painful. An xray should show the stones.
  • Ezra,

    When I was 23 (48 now) I passed one. My doctors told me to back away from milk. Well I am still a "Milk-a-holic" and have never passed another.

    My pain began in my mid back. It was worse than the ice pick feeling, it felt like someone had a thick stick pushing into my back. Then when that sucker started to move (pass), the pain had me in the fetal position! As it moves, that pain moves right with it. I never had any pain in my stomach. It was in my back, radiated and then towards the groin. I lived alone, so didn't have anyone to take me to the local ER. I was like this for 24-30 hours! Intractable pain didn't even give it justice!

    After the pain passed, I went to my GP and described everything (as I never saw the stone). He told me that I had classic symptoms of passing a stone! He did some blood work on me, then the milk advice was given. Once the pain starts, it (for me) continues until the stone is out. If it's a big stone and gets stuck, they have non-invasive ways to break them up now. I hope you just had bad gas pockets. *HUG*

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • When I am taking my pain meds on a regular basis I have trouble urinating all the times. I figured it is just slowing everything down! But I feel for you especially in the pain department. Having a urinary infection is some on the worst pain I have ever had.

    I am going through stomach issues as we speak (think it is withdrawal from meds). If I don't feel better soon I am going to lose it.

  • Brenda... the pain you described above, is exactly what it feels like when a stone starts to pass.

    And you are right, should one be too large to pass... they are able to break them up now.

    The back pain you feel, is very bad. The last one I had, I was thinking (again) that I had the flu. I didn't make it to work that day and was curled up on the couch running a fever. Mike came in and went to adjust my blanket for me and the minute he every so lightly touched my back... OMG... off to the ER we went.

  • So sorry to hear about all that your are dealing with right now.

    On a very positive note, it sounds like you have excellent doctors. They are being extremely thorough with what tests they have done and are continuing to do, in an attempt to find out what is going on.

    I have experienced urinary hesitancy, when I take a full day's dose of my break-thru medication (Percocet). I take my break-thru medication generally on an as-needed basis the majority of the time, but when I am having a bad pain day and need to take the maximum dose prescribed... it seems like I sit there and have to wait a while, before the stream begins. Sometimes my stream will stop and I have to do what Brenda described, to empty my bladder.

    As far as kidney stones, I have passed 3 of these over the past 7 years. A few days before I would pass one, I felt like I had the flu with a lot of body aches. It would then progress into feeling like I had a UTI and I would schedule an appointment with my PCP. My PCP would do the dip stick urinalysis in the office and send the urine out to be cultured. Each time, the dip stick test would show a UTI, blood in my urine and he could also see microscopic granulars of kidney stone(s). (He has several microscopes in his office, which is kind of cool. You don't run across that too often these days). He would prescribe antibiotics right away and once I finished the antibiotics, I would go back for another urinalysis. This particular time, the stone had already passed, but there was residual microscopic granulars.

    What you were told about running a fever during this time, is very important. The second time I was passing a kidney stone, I was at work. Again, I felt like I had the flu. When I came home I had a 102 degree fever, a lot of upper back pain and started vomiting. I took a shower and headed for the ER. I became septic within about 2 hours and was in ICU for 4 days. I won't go into the details of that, other than I had to have a central main line into my heart to have medications administered to up my blood pressure. I seriously doubt this will happen with you sweety, but what your doctor said about the fever and vomiting is really important. Particularly, since they are working on trying to find out what's going on right now.

    Please keep us posted and I will be anxious to hear how your bloodwork checks out and also the results of your CT scan.

    Wishing you less pain and hoping everything clears up real soon for you.

    Tammy >:D<
  • I always wondered if the percocet was the culprit with me!! I have found that when I take all my meds I'm allowed I find the same problem.

    I can also attest to going to the ER if you have a high fever and vomiting/passing out. If you find yourself in that situation, don't hesitate, GO! I too ended up in ICU in septic shock, it's not fun, and takes a long time to get back to "normal" after.

    Hope all of you get better soon!! I've never had stones, but have had UTIs and kidney infections (those also won me a free vacation in the local hospital) and they are so painful. Get care for them quickly!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Sorry to hear you had to pass 3 of those suckers! I wanted to die when it hit its peek! I don't remember any fever with mine. I was tired for a day or two prior to being floored! I hope never to get one again, plus I LOVE my Milk!!! :)

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Are a known side effect from narcotics. Of course, you have to rule out other causes, but the narcotics certainly do not help matters.

  • I also dread having to pass one of those again.

    I feel bad that you were all alone... for quite a while... with your stone. :(

    May you never get one again, Brenda!

    Tammy >:D<

    P.S. My urologist didn't remove milk from my diet. I did have to take a daily antibiotic for a year, after my last kidney infection. I made sure to eat lots of yogurt during that year!

  • Good luck today with your CT.

    Hope you feel better real soon.

  • The ct went well now we are just waiting for results they said the Dr should have them Monday unless it's something acute then she will get the results asap. The pain has been better since that night I told you about. But it hasn't completely gone away. The only thing I have left to say right now is I will never drink readi cat again, that crap is horrid. Thank you all
  • I know when I need to go pee BUT like several others here I have to push the pee out and then wait a bit and push again to make sure my bladder is empty.
    At first I did not push and I did not wait as was not patient and I ended up in the ER several times with bladder infections and even worse kidney stones.

    I knew after my injury I would have to learn to do many things differently - but never thought I would have to learn how to PEE again lol ;)

    Hope your pain goes away completely ! :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thanks very much Tammy! Hopefully you too won't ever pass one of those bad boyz again! *HUGZ* Love my milk!!

    I don't remember if I was given antibiotics. I probably was, but probably for the "usual" 10 day regiment?

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • The stomach pain is back pretty bad again today and so far my back feels like complete butt. I'm hoping once the morning meds kick in both will start feeling better. Haven't heard anything from the ct yet but at this point no news is good news, so I'm glad there hasn't been a phone call from them yet but I do want this to start feeling better soon.

    I have my next si injection Wednesday so I'm going to talk to pmd about the urinary hesitation and see what he thinks about it.
  • problem could be with enlarged prostate or narcotics. both cause hesitancy. i have the same problem without the vomiting etc that you have. go to a urologist and he can do a ultra sound test on prostate. they have meds for enlarged prostate that you can take. like i said, both can cause hesitancy and weak stream.
    i .p. freely
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • How are you feeling today?

    Just wanted to check in on ya. ;)

    Also wanted to wish you luck on Wednesday with your SI injection. There are a few of us that have recently had the SI injection(s), in addition to other lumbar injections and blocks.

    Please keep us posted.

  • I just typed a huge message and ended up losing it on accident. So I'm going to try again.

    Today I'm doing pretty good. My stomach is not hurting much, just off and on but nothing too bad. No pelvic pain at all and even my back wants to cooperate with a pain level of 4 with some sharp pains off and on. But I will take this with a smile as long as I can take my kids trick or treating tonight.

    I'm so glad you posted this because i forgot that I got my ct results last night because we had company over. Everything is clear so my PCM thinks it may be connected to my back. So I was told to follow up with Ortho. I hope my PMD has time to talk to me on Wednesday so maybe we can figure this out.

    At this point I've decided to not stress over it unless I stop peeing altogether. I'll keep talking to my doctors but no more stressing. I nearly cried when they called with the results because I was told not to expect them before Monday unless it was something acute. So I'm just going to learn to live with the problem for right now until we can figure it out.

    Thank you. I'm hoping Wednesday turns out good. This will be my second SI injection. I had a few hours of relief with the first one. It didn't take all of my pain away but it was a noticeable difference with bending lifting legs and turning. So I'm really hoping I can get at least a day out of this one. I hope you are doing well today

  • Please keep us posted how you are doing and how Weds goes :)

    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I just got a phone call a little bit ago and was told my blood work was fine except my liver enzymes are a bit high. I've been instructed to change medication to something without tylonal and to not drink any alcohol at all. I'm not really upset about losing alcohol seeing as how I very rarely drink anyways and I'm assuming it won't be hard to get medication without tylonal to replace the percocet. But I'm left here wondering what's going on with my liver. I'm hoping taking the tylonal away will make it go back to normal but I don't really know anything about the liver. They said they will continue to monitor me with blood work and if it continues to stay high additional testing.

    The point was that they have found nothing causing my symptoms so I'm really just clueless at this point. So I guess I will update Wednesday with what my PMD has to say about all of this
  • Livers tend to bounce back pretty well. If the enzymes are a little high and they change your meds, hopefully they will normalize soon. As to your other issue, not sure if a blood test would be the way they would diagnose? Tylenol is not 'liver' friendly from what I've seen. *HUGZ*

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • They checked blood, urine and did a ct. Blood was just the last thing I found out. Everything came back normal so my pcm is pretty much blaming my back. Most of my symptoms come and go but several seem to get worse the more my back hurts. But thank you, it's nice to "hear" someone say that livers bounce back easily. I am thinking the tylonal may play a huge part in it since I have been taking it so much in pain meds in the last year. I'm sorry for any typos it's been a long night and my brain just doesn't want to function anymore
  • Ezra,

    No worries about the typos, we all have them! Hence the 'smiles.' Yes I learned that Tylenol can cause a lot of issues with the liver, and yes, short of a chronic issue in your liver it bounces back pretty well.

    I haven't been aggressive (maybe I should be?) on my ummm 'accidents' and having to push to empty. Dunno, maybe I don't want more bad news? Or could be nothing, dunno. Try not to worry to much until "all the cards are dealt" okay? I still use Tylenol, but rarely. Since I am obviously more than 6 months past my last fusion surgery, I am back to my favorite...Aspirin. Fingers still crossed they know what is going on soon. Gentle *HUGZ* for ya!!!


    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Sign In or Register to comment.