Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Funny Question of the Day!

angelanicaangelanic Posts: 256
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
We should start a thread like this everyday!

If you have a fusion, do you beep when you go through airport security???????????????

Angela
advertisement

Comments

• I asked the same question to my doc. He said that the titanium will not set it off.
  • I didn't beep when I went through court security, but that was only with my cervical hardware. But I don't believe my lumbar hardware will set it off either. Nevertheless, I have a card on me that says I may set off machines due to hardware in my body.
  • I want a card that says that...okay I am asking for a card that says I might beep, a handicap sticker until I am healed and a letter for my employer saying I need to drive an SUV instead of a regular car. It will then all be worth it. =))

Angela
  • Shortly after my lumbar fusion I flew to St. Louis. I didn't beep on the way to St. Louis, but I did beep leaving St. Louis. I think it was because of the brace. They did have to do a hand wand and then a pat down, even though I had the note. Haven't flown since I've had the cervical fusion.
  • Normally you won't "beep" with Titanium, but it all depends on the settings they use. My hubby and I went to the Kennedy Space Center, and beep I did! That was when I had only the C5/6!

Most airports though, no you shouldn't beep.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Most of the time you won't beep going through metal detectors. Don't bother to show your card explaining what you have in you if you do beep. You're still going to be treated like every other passenger who sounds the alarm. I'm one of the people who screened passengers for 10 years.
  • I also had this discussion with my surgeon, and he said than as the fusion hardware is made of titanium, it won't set off the alarms.

I also asked about having MRI scans with metal hardware implanted as I was also having trouble with my neck. He said that it is also MRI friendly.

We flew this summer and, he was right. I didn't set off any alarms.
    I don't have a card explaining that I have metal implants. If ever I did set off a security alarm, I hope that my scar would prove that I had surgically implanted metal hardware. :jawdrop:

• that the hardware (titanium) would not set off the x-ray machines at the airport. We're hoping to save enough to fly over to see our daughter next year in Pittsburgh, so that's reassuring.

Jellyhall - thanks for your post because I am having an MRI in January and was wondering whether the hardware inside me meant that I'd be uncomfortable (I don't want to be flung from side to side LOL!).

SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I have lots of titanium in me. Never set off the metal detectors (I do have a "spine patient" card) and I have had MRI's done with no problem.

• What a wonderful image of you being flung about the scanner!! 8}

I have a metal crown in my tooth and asked my dentist if I should bite my teeth together to stop any movement of the crown. He just laughed at me!! I was joking! :))(

My MRI scan on my neck last week didn't cause any problems. Just got to wait for the results now. Had full abdominal ultrasound scan done today. I seem to be having my whole body checked out for various symptoms! 2010 will not go down as a good year for my health!

Hope everyone is having a good day.
    :-)
  • So it looks good all around. Two more days until I am bionic woman.

Angela
  • Or you could fly into Ohare airport in chicago.
    They have the full body scans where they show everything!
    That will prove you have had back surgery.
    And according to the news reports they do mean everything.
  • Big controversy over it.

Angela
  • Angela, That was the first question I ever asked on this forum back before my ACDF.

I haven't set off the alarms at O'Hare yet with the metal in my neck or knee. But I think it only dectects ferrous metals, i.e. steel.

Chris
  • They are saying a "invasion of your privacy".
    But from what i understand it's not graphic, and seems like a small price to pay to ensure safety and security.
  • But having been in the 'security' industry (federal), it is smoke and mirrors. Sorry. Invasion of Privacy, I fully agree, and now some low paid mope can physically (front of hands) search your body...grrr..

I've been a Sky Marshall/and a pilot almost 30 years, so I speak from inside knowledge...boo!

If someone with any knowledge wants to get something in, they can! Okay, I will hush now...

Brenda

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I fully agree with you.
    There are always ways to get around security measures, it's mostly a matter of our country's security to stay vigilant in enforcing and attempting to stay one step ahead of these pos criminals. :?
  • and seven screws in my spine and I don't set off the metal detector.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement