Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Indiv Disability benefits Approved!

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have STD and LTD through my employer. I'm receiving LTD benefits and have applied for SSDI.

Our financial planner nearly forced us to buy individual disability policies for my husband and myself 9 years ago. I worked in the insurance industry and didn't think we'd ever use it and thought my employer benefits would be enough. But then what if something happened at an employer who had no benefits or I was between jobs? I didn't realize I qualified for benefits at 6 months (thought it was after a year out of work) so I put in my claim this summer and it took them 3 months to make a decision - I was APPROVED and just got the check for a year's worth of benefits. This can't be deducted/offset from my LTD as premiums were paid solely by me and isn't employer sponsored in any way. So I got a huge check this week which got us out of most of our credit card debt as of this week.

The main reason I post this is that many of us are already disabled. But talk to your friends and family and tell them the struggle of disability income. Many think that SS will pay them what they were making, SS is automatic, every employer offers LTD, or no need to enroll for the higher benefit when offered that at work, etc. IF they are healthy they should apply for an individual disability plan (any individual insurance agent can help guide you). My individual disability policy premium was $500/yr and my benefit is now $700/mo. It won't make us rich but will help us meet our needs.

If we can all pass it on, if ONE person in your life takes it to heart maybe they'll breathe a sigh of relief if they become unable to work.
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement

Comments

• I'm happy for you! It helps a lot to have a little more money coming in! I'm on LTD too. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That is fantastic news!!! So nice to get that chunk of change that lets you get out of debt. Hopefully this is just the first in a few good decisions on your disability coverage.
  • Great Advice! Woo HOO!
  • I know how handy those big payouts can be, especially after all the little "extra" medical things we pay for. I've seen you give out lots of good advice to people to help them with their benefits - including me - so I'm glad you are reaping some good benefits too.

You are right about telling people to prepare - I thought I was the energizer bunny, and I would never run down - but I've come to a slamming halt - and although life is painful/difficult - I did plan, and so far I have been spared homelessness, hunger and poverty. So when I remember that - it always wards off despair.

Thanks for the good advice, and congratulations!
  • That is WONDERFUL news!
    As you know, I too am in the insurance industry, and my employer gives std automatically for all f/t employees. As a group benefit they offered ltd, with or without medical. I purchased the full ltd policy with medical and because it was a group, the rates were relatively cheap (when you compare to coverage/benefits, should you ever need it.) Cost for me is $20 biweekly.

I am NOT receiving ltd at this time, I am still covered under my std policy. I hope I will never need the ltd, but its somewhat reassuring to know its there....just in case!

But you are so right, it is a great coverage to have. Everyone should have some sort of personal disability, ssi/ssdi is not easy to get (from what I've heard) and for most, the coverage amount can be minimal.

Again, SPINEAZ I couldn't be happier for you!
    Spend wise.. a nice purse, or pair of shoes ..a feel good piece! You deserve it!
    Virginia
  • Congrats.
    I'm very happy that this came thru for you.
    When people are young and healthy, they dont think they will ever need extra ins. but you proved to them it's always a good idea.

Try to have a little fun with some of the extra money, instead of giving it all to the creditors.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I feel lucky that my parents bought us a Sleep Number bed so now I gotta get out of credit card debt. I hate cc debt and would love to see it go. BUT, we are putting some aside so we can park our RV up north next summer for 3 months AND maybe some kind of trip for our 10th anniversary in April. May just be a weekend in Vegas (4.5 hour drive from here) but it would be a get away weekend.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi SpineAz,

I am happy to hear some great news for spineys in the financial dept. for a change. Good for you!!! I am so happy that it worked out well for you.
    I hope you continue to have good news on all fronts, especially with your spine.
    I also wanted to ask you how you like the sleep number bed? Does it really help you with your sleep and pain? Is yours an adjustable bed? Has it worked well for you without any mechanical problems? Unfortunately, I need to get a new bed in order to get out of this hospital bed in the livingroom. If you have time, I would appreciate any reply or PM.

Thank you and Good Luck,
    glo :)
  • Nice to see another RVer! I hope it all works out and you guys get to do that. :) Congrats again on your approval. *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
    We had the sleep number bed delivered on Friday. We opted to pay for them to set it up as my husband isn't the most handy of men and he gets frustrated easily :-) They set it up in less than 20 minutes. He said they do 5-7 a day and haven't had much impact from the downturn in the economy. There are two crews in the Phoenix area doing this daily so 10-14 a day is pretty good.

He did say it can take up to 5 nights to get to your "sweet spot" of what works best. The one thing both my hubby and I have noticed is if we sleep on our side and maybe our arm or hand is under us we don't wake with that part of our body numb as we would. I'd wake up to go to the bathroom at 3 am and had slept so hard my right arm would be "asleep" and numb. Now, that hasn't happened. I've slept on in 2 nights and hubby 1 (he was in Tucson taking care of something for his dad Friday night).

The big difference to me is we used to have a big pillow top mattress. So it was taller and more bulky. We noticed we have room between the sleep number bed and our nightstands and before it was a tight squeeze. I'm still getting used to sitting on a bed that is lower. Thus far it has been GREAT for my back. The bed, even though it's a king, comes with one remote. I bought an extra for $70 because if I want to make a change I don't want to have to get out of bed, go to hubby's side of the bed, search for the remote if he had it last, etc.

If I had back surgery again I'd have to inflate the bed to 100% before getting out of bed. Right now I'm at 35 and getting out would be tough if I was post surgery unless I inflated it to give me support. Luckily fully inflating takes maybe a minute.

It also keeps us cooler due to the air chambers and we love that. The tempurpedic beds, from what I've heard, retain more heat. This one does not. And i asked about using a heating pad on this and he said it's fine. I watched them construct it and there are a few layers of foam between the me and the actual air chamber so using a heating pad wouldn't affect the bed at all.

So thus far we are very happy. If I remember I'll update her in a few days once we've done our 5 nights. They do offer to take your old bed away but we opted not to for two reasons. First, if for some reason the bed didn't work or we didn't like it we could reassemble the old bed and then search for a something new and Second we have a friend who may get custody of her two sons (8 and 9) who have lived with their dad for a while. Since our last bed was a king made of two twins the boys could really use our bed if she gets them.

Years ago we got rid of the bed in our guest room and I donated it to Goodwill. They said they'd be at our house to get it around 12-2. So we put it all outside. The sleeper sofa I ordered came just after the bed was removed..............and it didn't fit into the room. Our house has low ceilings in some places and it was impossible. So we had nothing and later bought a futon. The place I bought the sleeper sofa from was amazingly great. They canceled our order and they said they put these in one of their stores as "not delivered so never used" even with the custom fabric we chose (which luckily is neutral so the guy said it would easily be sold)
  • Thank you SpineAz. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the bed. I would still love to know how it works out for you, and I hope your back loves it! It is going to be an expensive year for us with the wheelchair ramp and now the bed - ugghhh. My spine and any relief from pain has to be worth more credit card debt ??!!!???! If you can, please let us know how it works out for you. Good Luck and Thank you again!

• I can say that I enjoy my bed. My Hubby likes a really firm bed. I like to have some give but some under support. It has worked well for us. Our bed is just above the basic model. It isn't a cure for my condition. I continue to take pain meds to allow me to sleep but I seem to wake up less stiff esp. in my joints other than my spine. Hips, knees etc. Hope it helps you also!
    Nancy
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • Thank you Nancy and SpineAz!

I am glad to hear that it is working out well for you. I know nothing can be a miracle worker and fix everything for us or we wouldn't even need this site LOL. Thank you for taking the time and for sharing your positive experiences. I must admit I am very nervous about all these major purchases on my credit card and needing to make home modifications. Thank you both for making me feel better about the bed. I wish you both all the BEST!!

• Thank you Nancy and SpineAz!

I am glad to hear that it is working out well for you. I know nothing can be a miracle worker and fix everything for us or we wouldn't even need this site LOL. Thank you for taking the time and for sharing your positive experiences. I must admit I am very nervous about all these major purchases on my credit card and needing to make home modifications. Thank you both for making me feel better about the bed. I wish you both all the BEST!!

Sounds like Nancy and I may have around the same model. We didn't want the basic becuase the motor (when inflating) was SO loud. So we went to the first one on the "Performance" level (vs "Clasic" as the basic).

I had a horrible cold this week so I slept in the guest room on our old bed for 2 nights and realized how much I LOVE our new bed. I was coughing so got out of our bedroom and I did sleep ok on the old bed but not well.

When laying in the sleep number bed watching TV or reading I may use a firmer setting. Then when it's time to sleep I go down to a lower setting. Somewhere between 35-45. Hubby is at 45-65
advertisement