Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So much pain!

Summermommy1SSummermommy1 Posts: 3
Im 21yrs old. I been having back pain for 4 years now. Just last lear they found the reason. I have a Herniated Disc. The pain so bad i really dont know what to do. I seen a surgeon and im too young and he tells me to diet and and lose weight. I also been doing physical therapy (even the one in water) I do yoga, stretch my back everyday, I Ice and heat my back. Im in so much pain im going to a pain center cause im at the end of my rope. They try epidural injections, and they just try a block. Both have not work. It so hard for me to stand and work. To bend and lift anything. I will get shooting pains down my legs and in my side of my back. Im on pain meds but it dont touch the pain. I really dont know what to do anymore. Im a young mom who has to look to see how long the line is and judge if i can stand in line that long. When i workout i have to take break in my cardo cause my leg starts to go numb. I dont know what to do and if someone can maybe give me a tip or if you know of anything that can help. Im willing to try anything. Im calling the pain center next week to let them know and i dont know where they will go from there. Someone help

• that your doctor blew off your pain. Find a pain management office who can help you with other options besides surgery..which i think could help you.

• I go to a pain center and there trying things but nothing works. Im just so tired of being in pain.
  • If the pain is that bad and pain management, weight loss, proper Physical therapy, and modified life (meaning, don't bend a twist) aren't working, then go back to a fellow ship trained orthopedic spine surgeon and/or Neurosurgeon.

Did they have an MRI done on you? It sounds like yes. If you are getting numbness is this new? If so, this is a sign that it could be worse now.

I use tylenol and Advil regularly but drink lots of water. I also walk lots. It helped me for 17 years. Occassionally, I would take Naprosin which is a prescription ibuprofin.

You are young for surgery and need to understand that surgery will not necessarily "fix" your pain but it can help. But surgery comes with risks and you could get worse. You will have to modify your life if you opt for surgery because the bending, twisting, lifting will put you at risk for reherniation.

Try to go back to the surgeon and ask him what else you can try.
  • I am so sorry you are suffering so badly :(

Can you find a new PM ( pain management ) Dr.?

I went to a pain center and truthfully they were worthless for my injury and what they wanted me to do. When I finally got a new Dr. he even agreed their treatment would never worked to help my pain.

Please keep us updated how you are doing.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I do go to a pain center. injection and a block is what they have done and nothing have work. In fact seem like when i go there and get it done i come out in more pain. I have an appt with my doctor later today and ima talk to her and see what else i can do. Cause at this point im about to give up. If i get a massgae and u touch my lower part of my spine i get a sharp pain. and when i was driving home from work my foot went numb. Went away when i got home and lay down but this shit has to stop. I could lose my job cause of it and i have a daughter i have to take care of. Im 21yrs old i shouldnt have to question if i can stand in long lines,
  • I'm sorry that you are so young and having to deal with this, I can't stand in line either, I have literally sat down on the floor in line at the grocery store! I don't even go anymore.
    If all they are doing is giving you shots at your PM Center, and that is not helping, I would suggest that you try another PM Center that could possibly give you pain medication to improve your quality of life. In my experience drs don't want to prescribe painkillers for a person your age, but I suggest you try that if you have exhausted every other option, which it seems that you have. Best of luck to you!
  • Time for second opinion. If you are in serious pain and it sounds like you are, please don't wait. There is a doctor (surgeon) out there that can help you.