Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tolerable pain

CarolPCCarolP Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Help! I am having pain levels of 7-8 on my meds. Can't go up on them because the ones i am taking are already strong for me right now. I am currently on oxy's and percocet;s and I was on morphine (Kian SP) and hydro but the morphine put mne to sleep. I really would like something I could take just when i need it and b able to put it where it is needed.

Does anybody know of some kind of medicine like that, maybe a patch or a pill for couple of hours but heavy enough to help and not to heavy to put me out. I know I am asking alot buy I can't hardly take it anymore I am staying home now unless it subsides for awhile then i try to get out.

Any help would be appreciated.

• I can only suggest working with your Dr.

I know that these meds work on each persons system very particularly. What works for me, puts someone else asleep.

What works for someone else - gives me Flu like symptoms and bone pain that feel like I have been hit with hammers, across all my major bone structures.

I just keep records of the felt pain and descriptions of what is going on. I don't dwell on it, as that can make it worse, but a couple times a day, I will write my thoughts on it and keep those. I take those notes to the next Dr visit and we use it to sort out what to do with the meds. The records- - allow my Dr to see improvements or the consistent pattern. Sometimes,, he will adjust times of dosages - or add an adjuvant to the list. The reports gives him the feedback he needs.
  • first let me say .sorry that you are in pain .but please let me warn you not to go in to too much detail about drugs ..because at the moment people are having a field day with anything drug related .so if you don't want a nasty thread .stop it now ...this i am telling you as advise not as an instruction ...my best advice as a friend is to see your doctor and tell him or her that the medication that you are currently taking is not working for you and come to some arrangement .so that you wont be in as much pain ....you could also try a TENS and heat
  • Carol,

We have a section for Pain Meds. I suggest that you check it out. I think you will get more information from reading older posts or even posting in it.

Feel Better,

• Straker, stop it. The OP asked a perfectly valid question, nobody is going to have a problem with it.

People are letting this new person cause a division on the board, and that's pretty sad.

As for the OP's question, I agree that it's so much what works for you. For example, I had a lot of trouble with morphine, while it works really well for some people. Why not tell your doctor that your b/t meds are just not working, and you are wondering whether there is something else you could try? It might be a trial-and-error process to find what works for you. I'm still in that process for myself.

Hopefully you will find something that works :)

• I agree with others here. Try and keep a log of when your pain is good, tolerable, and bad! Same, if certain activities change your pain, or the use of heat or ice.

I didn't see any nerve medications. Have they told you *what* is causing your pain? Nerve pain is treated with totally different medications than is 'mechanical' pain. Much of what you have described will not help with pain if derived from nerve related issues.

By example (me), I am on Lyrica for my nerve pain (which is 75% or so of my pain), and for the mechanical I have Darvocet. I hope that helps, and too you can get with your doctor and get some relief. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
This discussion has been closed.