Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

walking after triple laminectomy and fusion

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I'm four months after a triple laminectomy and fusion. My progress has been like the stock market -- up, then down. Right now my only exercise is walking. I recently started walking with two poles (nordic walking) and found it really helps. Not only does walking with poles take about 25% of the body weight off the spinal column, using them works out every muscle in the upper body -- greatly strengthening the core. I tried walking with a cane, but that always threw me off to one side and hurt my lower back. Has anyone else had experience with pole walking? I'm also down to 4 vicodin a day.
Robert L. Hyde

• because that the best way to exercise post back operation .has your physio not mentioned this to you ? swimming helps because its not putting any load on =your back when you feel stronger .the cross trainer will help you get in shape .BUT don't over do it
  • i give you kudos for doing that! i haven't done pole walking but it sounds like a full body workout. good for you, you are putting me to shame. lol.
  • but my chiro, before I was going to have surgery, suggested that I might want to try it.

I do walk every day for 2 miles, which I think is really helpful. I never used a cane or walker, even the day after surgery. I think that perhaps all the walking I had done before surgery to try to avoid it, had helped to build up my muscles. I must admit that all the nurses and physiotherapist in the hospital were amazed at how good and upright my walking was.

I am 5 weeks post-op double laminectomy/fusion and my only problem with walking is the rigid brace I must wear which makes walking very difficult due to it putting pressure on my lower back. After I can get out of this brace I may just look into the Nordic walking you're talking about. It would be a good thing to condition my upper body.

On the up side, I'm off the Vicodin I was taking for pain and am just today starting a test to see what I feel like without the Lyrica I've been taking for nerve pain.

I wish you continued improvement! Thanks for sharing what you're doing. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled