Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question re: Vitamin B-12 deficiancy and Chronic Pain.I need your help as I am feeling very down!

spunky21sspunky21 Posts: 161
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I have posted recently about having many infections going on in my body at the same time and lasting a long time. Almost as if my immune system had issues.
I saw my Dr. two days ago and was sent for several blood tests. The day after my appt. I was called and said I am diabetic and glucose levels are out of control. Was prescribed Metformin twice a day and must check my blood often. I will be rechecked in 8 wks. Today another phone call from my Dr. and I am very deficient in Vitamin B-12. I have to start having weekly shots for afew months then it will be 1 shot per month for 3 months. Then the Dr. will recheck that.
I was wonderful if any of my fellow spineys suffer from either of these conditions or have dealt with these in the past. I did a little research and it seems as though people with Chronic Pain issues oft times have a vitamin B-12 deficiency. It affects the nerves from what I read. Apparently after getting the shots it might help some with fatigue but said the nerve damage will not be reversed.
If anyone has the same conditions or have had these conditions could you please post and explain what you know about this. I am getting really down as it seems along with my chronic pain issues due to cervical and lumbar problems I have had ongoing infections of various parts of my body for almost a year now. Something must be wrong with my immune system. Unfortunately you have the blood tests and then an assistant from the Dr.'s office calls you to give you the results. I really did not get a chance to discuss with my PCP. I have an appt. with my neurologist on Monday so perhaps he can give me some insight. I am also have eye problems which is so scary. It seems like when it rains it pours and I really could use any input any of you would be kind enough to share with me.
Thank you so much for any insight

• Jan,

I take biweekly B12 shots and have for 2 years. Getting optimized on B12 and vitamin D3 has definitely helped my pain and energy levels. I really got involved in my own recovery from pain once I was diagnosed with hypothyroid this year. Getting optimized on the correct thyroid medicine combined with Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone has made a huge difference for me. I have had to educate myself on how to read my tests and which ones to request and have switched doctors 3 times in order to find the one who is right for me. Most doctors simply do not know which tests to run or how to read them. I love my family doctor and my gyno but they both admit that testing of the adrenals, thyroid and hormones is just way too complicated.

There are a few really great websites with ladies far more intelligent than I who are big advocates for this type of research and will even compare your blood work results if requested. They have been a huge help for me in my search for help and answers.

Feel free to PM me if you would like the names of the sites.
  • Hi Jan;

I also had to take Vitamins B and D to make u for deficiencies that were detected. You're absolutely right in the fact that B deficiency can cause nerve pain, all of my doctors stated as such. I just take them orally, and when I had my blood tested again (it was a few months later, so I can't say how long it took) my levels were back to normal. The vitamin D also helps, especially if you're not able to get up and around outside and miss out in soaking up the sun :)
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Ewaight said:

I have had to educate myself on how to read my tests and which ones to request and have switched doctors 3 times in order to find the one who is right for me. Most doctors simply do not know which tests to run or how to read them.
    You definitely are right about this. Good for you for taking charge of your own health, doing the research and calling the shots.
    A persons health is mainly their responsibility and not just their doctors.

• I apologize I have not been on in quite some time. Have not felt well at all. I found out the day after I was called about b-12 deficiency that my vit d is <4 which is in the danger zone. I am so exhausted and my body hurts so bad. But I wanted to thank you for you input
  • Once you begin B12 therapy, you can no longer get an accurate measurement of your B12 with the basic B12 level. The American Academy of Family Physicians say to have a serum or urine methylmalonic acid level drawn once starting B12. The basic B12 level will look falsely elevated. For most people, once being diagnosed with low B12, or pernicious anemia, they must take B12 for life.

Also, there are 2 tests for vitamin D. This is information from Dr. J. Mercola. There is 1,25-hydroxy-vitamin D and 25-hydroxy-vitamin D. The 25 hydroxy-vitamin D is the most accurate test. Once you have this tested and are found to be deficient, the appropriate supplement is vitamin D3, not vitamin D2. The 25 hydroxy-vitamin D should be evaluated at regular intervals after treatment begins.

It takes many months to replenish both these vitamins safely.

Take care,
  • sleep - once you start taking vit D supplements does that effect test results for D deficiency as the B12 does?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Unlike vitamin B12, it is actually important to have the vitamin D level monitored at regular intervals, since it is a fat soluble vitamin and is imperative that you keep in the optimal range. High levels cause toxic side effects.
This discussion has been closed.