Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update on my first post op visit

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all. I went for an xray a couple of days ago and had my first post op visit yesterday. 25 days after acdf c5-6.

They said everything is going as it should be. The muscle spasms and stuff are all normal after this surgery. My xray looked good--hardware and screws where they should be. The incision looks good except for a stitch that is trying to come out but it should dissolve soon.

As most know, I had no post op restrictions and only wore a soft collar a few days. I've slept with it on since the beginning and I've slept good so I still do. I didn't ask about whether I should stop that...hey, if it works I don't see a problem do you? I told them that the spasms got really bad after I mopped (I'm still recovering from the beating I got from my friends here after that! lol :D ). The PA and the surgeon didn't seem to think I shouldn't do that. They still say I can do normal stuff. I asked them if I had any weight restrictions and they said not really...just use common sense and be aware of the position my neck is in. My so called common (or uncommon) sense tells me that I'm not mopping again for a few weeks! I do all of my other regular housekeeping stuff besides vacuuming. My vacuum is very heavy and hard to push so my son does that everyday. (Besides, it does my heart good to watch him do it...ahhh hehe)

They gave me a script for (30)lortab 5mg, and (40)flexeril 10 mg. I was amazed they gave me anything! I didn't ask for different muscle relaxers because the spasms have lessened a lot since last weekend. I didn't ask them why no one returned my call to the office last week either.

Anyway, so far so good. Ups and downs. Laugh today, whine tomorrow...I'm still very pleased with the results so far. My arm/hand pain is gone plus so is my back/butt/leg pain (that I'd had since having a myelogram in Jan. 09) for some miraculous reason but hey...I'll take it and pray for this relief to last!

Just wanted to let you all know how it went. I have another appointment on December 3. Until then they told me to keep doing what I've been doing. So I guess I'll just have to keep eating and gaining weight...well they told me to keep on...

• I am so happy to hear that you are progressing well!

Hugs and chat later!
  • Great news your appointment with the Surgeon went well. I hope you heal completely with less and less pain daily. Seems you got through the rough few weeks of it. You've been through so much. Prayers and wishing you the best always friend. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thanks David.

I am doing pretty good. How are things with you? I hope you've been doing great.

It was nice to hear from you. Chat soon...
    Thanks Charry.

So far so good! I know I've still got a way to go but things are much better.

How are you doing? I hope your last injections are still helping.

Hope to chat with you soon. Take care my friend.
  • Thanks so much for the update!! :) My surgeon when I had that level done, his "restrictions" if you will where..."Let your body guide you on what you can do." "If it hurts, don't do it!" Sweet huh? He did tell me though to avoid lifting things heavier than a gallon of milk for the first 6 weeks.

Your spasms hopefully will continue to reduce. I've had them 'here and there' for like 6 months post op. Remember, your 'whole' spine is getting use to this 'new' spine. :) *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yay! Keep getting better!
    I hadn't thought of it but are the restrictions different depending on which level they do? :?

Yesterday the spasms were pretty bad. This morning I woke up laying on my stomach with my head turned to the side and it took me a long time before I could get turned over!! Ever do that? So if today is a bad day I know why. I'll need to do a lot of walking to loosen up as soon as it warms up. Brrr it's cool here this morning.

Hope you have a good day.
    Thanks. I hope to be good as new soon....well, as good as reconditioned anyway. I started to say in good shape but if I don't stop eating candy my shape isn't gonna be so good. hehe

• Glad to hear that the doc was pleased and is looking out for you.

I find that as I go along, the common sense things I do get to be more and more intense. I have learned when and where to back off and at times I pay for being a bit too aggressive. I find that as time goes on, I get "braver and braver" in regards to what I am willing to do or try to do. I have learn that when I try something if it doesn't feel right, I stop. You will figure it out.

Just remember that you have to give time, time.

• Thanks a bunch for the update! >:D<

Sounds like you are progressing very well and I hope the worst part of your recovery is now behind you. (Not in your behind... just you are past the bad pain and bad spasm part). :D

Keep up the good work with not over-doing it again and I say prayers that your muscle spasms get less and less. Again, when I think of the neck area and having fusion there... for some reason I just picture the muscle spasms being rather intense.

Good news from you, my friend.

P.S. I apologize for getting upset about you mopping. It's only due to me caring about you and wanting a successful fusion and recovery for you.
  • Debbie,

There might be depending how many levels and such. Mine were done a little over a year apart, and from what I remember, his 'restrictions' were pretty much the same. Now for the second level (I was in law enforcement) he kept me off work for 8 weeks.

Hehehe... it's funny I found myself waking on my belly I think once since my fusions! Fortunately I have memory foam pillows, so it wasn't too bad surprisingly! I use to be a big-time belly sleeper to!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • your feeling better. its a good idea you were given the muscle relaxers , just in case those spasms reappear , at least youll have them on hand to take!

as for unlimited restrictions that some ns/os prescribe, i think there being cavaliar with this!

this is a long healing process and i think they need to inform their pts in a much more detailed way of things to avoid in the early stages and a gradual return to ADL's. and also what to expect regarding the types of post surgical discomfort/pain and potential probs to be aware of.

he he re your gonna have to keep eating and gaing weight :))(
    sending you positve healing energy
    You're right. I'm figuring it out more all the time. I've always been a person who absolutely hates to say "I can't". I've always thought that if it can be done, I can do it...or try it anyway. I've always been afraid of people thinking I'm lazy but you should see the leaves in my white pebbles around the house right now! I've hinted everyday for a couple of weeks that they need blown out with the leaf blower but so far no one has done it. I simply won't try to carry the leaf blower because it's heavy and hurts me to carry at the best of times so I guess they can stay out there. I'll just turn my head.

See, I'm trying...

You don't have to appologize. I appreciate your concern. Besides, I need someone to kick me sometimes because I'm so stubborn!

I still have a lot of muscle spasms. Some days are worse than others. I'm having the lump in my throat/choking feeling more than before and it's kind of worrying me. If it's not better soon I may call but hopefully it'll soon go away. I think it's all a normal part of the recovery so I try to not be to wimpy.

I hope you're doing ok and that you're still making progress. Take care.

I agree that it would be better if they told us what to expect. It seems like my surgeon's assistant thinks "we've fixed it, you're all better now"! Presto! Yippee! I'm glad to hear it. lol.

I am doing better though. I get impatient sometimes. I still take one or two pain pills and muscle relaxers most days. I tried taking only Tylenol but it just doesn't help enough yet. I'm four weeks post op so it's all down hill from here I hope.

Hope you're doing ok. Take care.
    P.S. Got plenty of Halloween candy-can you say FAT? 8}
  • Thanks for your reply, but I really did need to apologize for the one reply to you. Like a few other members, I did get concerned about the mopping too early and I did a little butt chewing. I appreciate you understanding that I did that purely out of concern. If I didn't care about you, I wouldn't have said anything at all. But, if I am concerned, I will voice what I'm feeling... in as kind of manner as possible when one (me) is freaking out about over-doing something too soon. O:)

When is your next appointment? I just read your other post about the muscle relaxers doing zilch for your spasm relief. Would you be willing to call and let your doctor know that they aren't helping you with the painful spasms? I personally feel that post-op, if you aren't getting adequate relief with a certain medication, it's worth the time to make a call to your doctor to let him know.

I hope your swallowing issues get better real soon. I have read so many posts from our "spiney neckies" about experiencing this problem post-op, as well. I hope you will get more confirmation from our members that they, too, have had that battle. I know it always makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one out there who has "this or that" going on and what has helped them.

Rest when you need to, walk when you feel up to it and vent to us anytime. We are cheering you on, girl! O:)

Best wishes to you,